View Diary: Angry teabaggers paying Garofalo to protest her (278 comments)

•  I've always found Garofalo kind of annoying. (7+ / 0-)

She's gratuitiously strident, short on facts, utterly devoid of nuance, and permanently annoyed.

But damn, she is so hot. (Sorry.)

I just hope, for her sake, that they have some security precautions in place when those teabaggers show up to catch her show.

"Lies return." - African proverb

by Night Train on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 09:17:39 AM PDT

•  Loved her in Reality Bites. (4+ / 0-)

Didn't care for her when she was on Air America.  There's a fine line between comedy, even political comedy, and commentary.  And I don't think most comedians can cross that line very well.

They tortured people to get false confessions to fraudulently justify our invading Iraq.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 09:23:49 AM PDT

•  Even her political arguments could come off as (4+ / 0-)

pretentious and, dare I say, elitist. I remember on AAR, she'd call right-wingers "unenlightened," with the implication that all of us left-wingers are duly endowed with teh enlightenment. She'd use such verbose and quasi-New-Age arguments to explain her positions, all of which could be distilled to pretty simple and plain statements.

I might seem like I'm advocating "dumbing down" our collective liberal arguments and positions--I'm not. As a writer, I both appreciate the written word and the ability to be succinct about the points one is trying to make. You don't have to "dumb down" your argument to tighten it up somewhat IMO. Concise, clean writing is a thing of beauty--as they say, less is more.

End the gerrymandering; stand for fairness in Florida: FairDistrictsFlorida.org

by boofdah on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 09:33:48 AM PDT

•  I can haz enlightenment? (4+ / 0-)
          Debby, The Termite, boofdah, Night Train

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But you're right.  Her show struck me the same way.  (Same for Randi Rhodes.)  I don't think it does any good to adopt the exact same style that the Limbaugh/Beck/Hannity types use.  I don't listen to the radio to be yelled at, even if I agree with the sentiment.

My current radio host favorite is Ron Reagan.  He's very smart, very calm, very respectful -- and it tickles me no end that Ronald Reagan's son is bashing the Republican party every day.

by Kaili Joy Gray on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 09:40:12 AM PDT

•  Yes, I agree. (0+ / 0-)

That's very true. She would routinely cite various kinds of pop psychology and new-age bullshit to try to "explain" why right-wingers think and act as they do. Which was very annoying because she's no psychologist, and her "explanations" were really just puerile generalizations.

Worse yet, any close listener could discern that she was repeatedly forced to resort to such jejune bullshit "explanations" in order to disguise her own lack of factual knowledge about the political issues being discussed. Again and again, her co-host Sam Seder would have to "rescue" her by mentioning facts, naming names, and citing sources.

"Lies return." - African proverb

by Night Train on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 01:40:23 PM PDT

•  Good actress. (4+ / 0-)

Decent comedienne.
        Lousy commentator.

(For those keeping score at home, I believe Jon Stewart to be an excellent comedian, mediocre actor, and strident but often effective commentator and adversarial interviewer.)

(George Carlin, of course, was awesome all around.)

Yes, Santa Claus, there is a Virginia. And it went Democratic.

by Anarchofascist on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 10:05:57 AM PDT

•  Hot? (0+ / 0-)

I prefer to think of hot as someone who has their act together, and clearly bathes regularly.  She meets neither of those criteria for me.  But to each his or her own I guess.

Once the cat is out of the bottle, you can't put Humpty back together again.

by Nada Lemming on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 10:03:27 AM PDT

•  She's my dream girl. Really. eom (0+ / 0-)

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be"

by HenryBurlingame on Wed Apr 29, 2009 at 04:32:46 PM PDT