View Diary: Marion Barry's Dissenting Vote and the Black Community at large w/update (195 comments)

•  Now don't be pollutin' with those (7+ / 0-)

facts of yours...  ;)

The fact is: gay people are being prevented from entering into a CIVIL CONTRACT, despite being of sound mind, of the age of majority, and wanting to do so willingly.

Perhaps the original commenter would like to explain how being able to enter into a government-sanctioned CIVIL CONTRACT is not a civil right?

I don't drink, fornicate, smoke, or cuss. "Dammit, I left my cigarettes at the gay bar!"

by Texas Blue Dot on Wed May 06, 2009 at 08:04:28 AM PDT

•  it saddens me (9+ / 0-)

how little people really know of the holdings of the Loving and Brown v. Board cases.  Landmark decisions like that should be understood to have an idea of what our freedoms really are...just my $.02

•  The government does not "sanction" in the sense (0+ / 0-)

of approving.  Or, it's not supposed to.  What it's supposed to do is recognize that a contract has been entered into and enter that into the public records, as it does for others in the same class.

How do you tell a predator from a protector? The predator will eat you sooner rather than later.

by hannah on Wed May 06, 2009 at 11:28:34 AM PDT

•  Which the government (1+ / 0-)
        KentuckyKat

right now does not do.  It does not allow me to enter into that contract.  Therefore it is stripping me of that right, which is a right until a civil law.

by Texas Blue Dot on Wed May 06, 2009 at 02:15:06 PM PDT

•  You can enter into a contract. The state just (1+ / 0-)
          Texas Blue Dot

won't recognize it and extend the same benefits it does to others who apply and register.
          A contract doesn't have to be registered to be valid.  Common law marriages were unregistered.

by hannah on Wed May 06, 2009 at 05:06:39 PM PDT

•  Consequently (0+ / 0-)

I am being denied the benefits accorded to two other consenting adults of the opposite sex, n'est-ce pas?

Therefore, it is a civil right.  If I wanted to register same, I can not.  As stated in Loving v. Virginia's decision, I am being denied a basic civil right.

by Texas Blue Dot on Wed May 06, 2009 at 09:59:56 PM PDT

•  It's not a right; it's a service. (0+ / 0-)

The onus is on the state failing to carry out the obligations imposed by the Constitution.

Stop thinking about things in terms of the victim.

It's the behavior of the agent that needs to be changed.

Think about causes, rather than effects.

by hannah on Thu May 07, 2009 at 02:51:37 AM PDT

•  If you don't ask for the right thing, (0+ / 0-)

you're not going to get what you want.  What you want is for the agents of government to act as they've been directed--i.e. treat all persons equally.

Think of it as MacDonald's making hamburgers that are all the same size, rather than tailored to the size of the customer.

by hannah on Thu May 07, 2009 at 02:57:07 AM PDT

•  It's hard for me not to think (0+ / 0-)

about it in terms of the victim, because, I AM the victim.

By not abating their onus, the State removes a right from me.  I'm sorry, that's what I believe, and it's not likely to change.

It's about as likely to change as I am to become straight.  Meaning 0%.

by Texas Blue Dot on Thu May 07, 2009 at 04:39:07 AM PDT