View Diary: Name the Goposaur, Final Round (293 comments)

•  NoNo for me. "Gipper" is a sacred cow (0+ / 0-)

Don't want to get him confused with a dinosaur.

Some people might take offense at a slight against Regan, which makes it seem mean spirited.

"Half of my life, I spent doing time for some other fucker's crime. The other half's found me stumbling 'round drunk on burgundy wine." -R. Hunter

by mungley on Thu May 07, 2009 at 11:31:09 AM PDT

•  sacred cows make the best burgers, though. (5+ / 0-)
      KLM, mungley, jds1978, crispycreme, filby

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -- Mark Twain.

by dcrolg on Thu May 07, 2009 at 11:36:38 AM PDT

•  They should learn (4+ / 0-)
      BrooklynJohnny, mungley, jds1978, Tommymac

I can't believe how people tread so lightly around that ridiculous myth.  Without the Reagan myth, they never would have gotten the Newt 'Revolution' or President George W Bush.  It's a hateful thing and people are mistaken to tread so lightly.  It's a dangerous revision of history to leave it as word that Reagan was anything but a lying, failed president who left an awful legacy.

"There must be a penalty for doing what George W Bush and those who pulled his strings have done. Or it will probably be done again, and worse."

by Sun dog on Thu May 07, 2009 at 11:39:21 AM PDT

•  Reality and Republicans don't mix (4+ / 0-)
        jds1978, Neon Mama, filby, Meggie

I'm all for explaining that Ronald Wilson Reagan was an insane anglo warlord.

This t-shirt is not the right forum for that though.

by mungley on Thu May 07, 2009 at 11:43:30 AM PDT

•  mean-spirited? (4+ / 0-)
      KLM, jds1978, Neon Mama, Sun dog

like increasing taxes on those making the minimum wage, and cutting back on health care funding so that thousands of mental patients are turned out onto the street homeless? Or like running a secret war by proxy in Central America with drug money?

Heavens to Betsy, we wouldn't want to offend Reagan lovers, now would we?

•  Not, if the goal is to make the current GOP (1+ / 0-)
        carlos the jackal

look stupid.

Why inflame sensitivities about something that is not germane to the message?

by mungley on Thu May 07, 2009 at 11:51:08 AM PDT

•  It IS germane (6+ / 0-)

That's the point.  The underpinnings of the goper platform come right from Reagan.  They sell this idea that the problem with the party is that they've just strayed too far from Reagan.  And a lot of people buy that.  This is exactly the time to finally puncture that myth.

by Sun dog on Thu May 07, 2009 at 12:31:06 PM PDT

•  Getting caught in that loop is their downfall (1+ / 0-)
            BrooklynJohnny

Reagan's failed policies and smiling bigotry are what are dragging them down as we speak. Why not let them keep drowning?
            The goal is to get as many people as we can to wake up and say, Hey the GOP sucks." I don't identify with them anymore.

by mungley on Thu May 07, 2009 at 12:41:50 PM PDT

•  Reagan lovers offend me n/t (4+ / 0-)
        BrooklynJohnny, mungley, Terminus, Meggie

by Sun dog on Thu May 07, 2009 at 12:31:42 PM PDT

•  Duly noted. (1+ / 0-)
          Sun dog

I don't like them either.

by mungley on Thu May 07, 2009 at 01:00:09 PM PDT

•  Don't get me wrong (3+ / 0-)
            mungley, Terminus, Neon Mama

I understand where you're coming from.  I just feel differently about the need to puncture the myth.  Allowing them that patron saint is what has allowed them to do most of what they've done.  It would be a real shame to see them crawl back out of the ditch using the same tricks.  And they could.  Younger people, even a lot of fairly progressive ones, believe that he was a swell guy who was liked by anyone who matters.  After enough years of trying to run things, there will be plenty of frustrations and negatives to hang on the Democrats. I can easily see the Reagan thing being hung out there again as bait to a 'better time' if more people don't start to see what a cheap trick it is.  As long as he's such a great guy, they can use him to sell bad ideas.  It just might be a few years from now before they can really press it.  They'll just keep going on about how it was straying away from the Sacred Path of Reagan that got them in trouble.

One way or another, widespread ignorance can be used to lead people to some really bad places.  Right now, the country is really ignorant about the Reagan thing and how we've gotten into the mess we're in.

I know,  we were talking about a dinosaur mascot here weren't we?  Funny how serious I can get but I do think the damage done by the Reagan myth is underestimated and so is the threat.

by Sun dog on Thu May 07, 2009 at 01:15:47 PM PDT