View Diary: BREAKING: Edwards Indicted in Fraud Scheme (378 comments)

•  It's Not Misleading (0+ / 0-)

It's 100% accurate for what I wrote.  That's part of the point, that people are inserting their own meanings where their assumptions aren't valid, which would have been easily avoided had they read critically and followed the link.

"Dignified people, without a whimsical streak, almost never offer fresh insights, in economics or anywhere else." Paul Krugman

by Dana Houle on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:22:59 PM PDT

•  Point taken, but before opening the (1+ / 0-)
      LaEscapee

diary and clicking the link, most people assumed what you thought they would.  Why do I give a shit about random Edwards being indicted?  I don't, so if I had known that from your title I would have never opened the diary. I signed up to DKOS for views on things that would effect our country, our families, our well being.  Jeffrey's indictment does none of those.

•  "Most People" (0+ / 0-)

How do you arrive at that assumption?  Do you have any evidence to back that up?

How many people opened the diary?

How many of those who opened it up thought it was about John Edwards?

How many clicked on the link?

Just how is it that you can arrive at that conclusion, considering that you have no evidence on which to base it?

by Dana Houle on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:34:57 PM PDT

•  Maybe you should add a poll lol n/t (0+ / 0-)
        •  I was suspicious (1+ / 0-)
          dougymi

the minute I saw the title, with "breaking!", posted by you...as a diary.  I said, "Edwards indicted? Why wouldn't he front page this? Hmm..."

Opening it up, the reference to "J. Edwards" clinched it. That's when I clicked the link.

So, no, not all of us were sucked in.

Of course, I'm smarter than most people. :D

"I used to have goals. They were *evil* goals, but they were *goals*."--Dr. Doofenschmirtz

by ChurchofBruce on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:43:18 PM PDT

•  I Suspect Most People... (2+ / 0-)
            ChurchofBruce, Jacob Bartle

...weren't "sucked in."  But some were.  How many?  Dunno.  But certainly a high percentage of those who initially commented didn't read critically or follow the link, that much we do know.

by Dana Houle on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:50:14 PM PDT

•  So you DID mislead people. (2+ / 0-)
              Sandy on Signal, buhdydharma

Okay, so maybe you were making a decent point about how people should read the linked story more often. Why not own up to your experiment? The “who, me?” defense just makes you look like a smug dipshit.

Denny Crane: But if he supports a law, and then agrees to let it lapse … then that would make him …

Shirley Schmidt: A Democrat.

by Jyrinx on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:56:18 PM PDT

•  The diary angle gave it to me too (4+ / 0-)

Why would DH put a "breaking" diary in the recent diary list? And then to see J. Edwards instead of a whole first name?  Plus knowing how POed DH gets when people don't click on links before commenting. I only came to the diary to see if it was snark. It wasn't but the comment section sure has been.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Thu May 14, 2009 at 05:05:13 PM PDT

•  Seriously? (2+ / 0-)
          cdreid, buhdydharma

You seriously doubt that anyone reading Daily Kos wouldn't assume that “Edwards,” in a diary title, refers to former U.S. Senator John Edwards?

Just try that in court sometime. I dare you.

Shirley Schmidt: A Democrat.

by Jyrinx on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:54:43 PM PDT

•  Oh. Really. Not misleading at all. (2+ / 0-)
      buhdydharma, Shahryar

So. Why, pray tell, did you choose to post about some asshat who got indicted?

Shirley Schmidt: A Democrat.

by Jyrinx on Thu May 14, 2009 at 04:53:21 PM PDT