View Diary: UPDATE: Disbarring 12 Torture Lawyers (258 comments)

•  Schumer is a very effective politician (1+ / 0-)
    freakofsociety

I live in NY. Schumer handles the media very well and is widely percieved as a top US senator and thus as very powerful. I don't know that the average voter follows politics as closely as people here, but it seems like Schumer will be a senator for as long as he wants to be.

Stop bitching and start a revolution!

by Randian on Mon May 18, 2009 at 09:01:47 AM PDT

•  and he certainly gets a lot of funds from banks (1+ / 0-)
      3goldens

and other financial institution lobbyists. So Schumer has plenty-o-money to fend off any who dare to fight the uphill battle against incumbents...

Sadly for consumers, given his record on that count as well...

We will restore science to its rightful place....We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil .... All this we can do. And all this we will do.

by puffmeister on Mon May 18, 2009 at 09:13:45 AM PDT

•  Yes and he's voted against the lobbyists and (1+ / 0-)
        puffmeister

banks consistently since Obama's been there. Please keep track of his record before you accuse him of being in the bag for special interests when he obviously isn't.

•  you are correct that Schumer has suddenly changed (2+ / 0-)
          3goldens, freakofsociety

with the advent of the  new administration, since the days when he was a vocal apologist for banks and an apologist for the Senate's bank-lobbyist-drafted and virulently anti-consumer bankruptcy law

Evolution - if that indeed rather than opportunism is what it is - is duly noted

Consistent principles over time however are always appreciated, which is one reason why I have long admired Obama [and hope that apparent new directions are merely different means to his same principled ends...]

by puffmeister on Mon May 18, 2009 at 10:04:40 AM PDT

•  The commenter implied though, that he was (1+ / 0-)
            puffmeister

not helping the consumers. I'm just pointing out that what the commenter said is not true and the commenter needs to get his record straight. Schumer is far from our biggest problem in the senate. I'd like to see plenty of other people go before Schumer.

•  The commenter is me and I wholeheartedly AGREE (2+ / 0-)
              3goldens, freakofsociety

that Schumer is not our biggest problem - even if Schumer's record is at best 'spotty' [predatory lending used to be my legal focus a few years back, and at the time Schumer was the worst sort of hypocrite who talked good but voted against consumers]

But you are completely right - there are so many who disappoint - Blanche Lincoln, even Tester - about whom we must just grit our collective teeth.

And agree that there are better alternatives to focus on - I for one hope that Joe Sestak takes a run at Specter; have done a small bit of contributing when I had bucks, so get his Emails. A good example of a man with principles, even when I disagree..

by puffmeister on Mon May 18, 2009 at 10:12:39 AM PDT

•  Yep I'm a Pennsylvanian (1+ / 0-)
                puffmeister

Supporting Sestak instead of Specter is a no brainer.

•  Sestak is actually my rep too (1+ / 0-)
                  puffmeister

He's a very genuine man. I feel better whenever I here him talk.

•  Yeah, I'm in NJ but admire Sestak (0+ / 0-)

enormously.

And despite all best wishes personally to Specter for battling cancer, I have remnants of disgust with his particular history in mocking Anita Hill.

I simply cannot forgive Spectre for that historic stomach churning atrocity, regardless of how useful some of his 'better' more recent votes have been.

[there I go again, with history - just like excoriating Schumer's support of passing the lobbyist-drafted bankruptcy bill]

by puffmeister on Mon May 18, 2009 at 11:13:04 AM PDT

•  Oh you are the commenter. lol (2+ / 0-)

Nevermind then.

•  a rec for your good heart :):) (2+ / 0-)

and just for the pleasure of a nice conversation, am going back and adding recs to all - even the one where you called out my lack of current knowledge - :)

by puffmeister on Mon May 18, 2009 at 10:14:11 AM PDT