View Diary: VA-Gov: McAuliffe opens up clear lead (172 comments)

•  The Gov of VA will be Republican. (2+ / 0-)
    malharden, sethyeah

& that might not be so bad. McAuliffe being elected will just tarnish Democrats in the long run. I swear sometimes I think Terry just joined the race to fuck over the Democrats. But hey, what do I know, I don't live in VA, it's up to to them.

•  Not if we have anything to say about it. (6+ / 0-)

And we have damn well not given up yet.

They tortured people to get false confessions to fraudulently justify our invading Iraq.

by Ponder Stibbons on Thu May 21, 2009 at 01:07:03 PM PDT

•  So because you loath Terry so much you'll (9+ / 0-)

Rather a republican win. A republican who opposes everything you say you stand for while Terry probably reperesents 70 percent of what you support. That makes good sense. Not!

•  It's not what I support. It's what VA voters supp (0+ / 0-)

First, you don't know what I stand for. People vote Democrat for different reasons.

As far as VA voters, I'm curious if VA voters have Democrat fatigue? They've elected back to back Democratic governors, two Democratic senators and a Democratic President. It seems sooner or later, with a dubious candidate representing the Democrats by a possible McAulliffe primary victory that they will say "thanks but no thanks". McAulliffe doesn't spark any energy IMHO and he just seems so fake and unlikable. But, as I said, it ain't my state and it's up to VA voters to either buy into McAulliffe's rhetoric or not.

•  No we don't have Democrat fatigue. (1+ / 0-)
          Egalitare

We have always had very close elections here but there are still a lot of people who remember how badly Gov. Gilmore screwed over this state and this was reinforced by Gilmore's trouncing by Mark Warner in the 2008 Senatorial Race.

McAulliffe is getting a lot of campaign funding and he's been littering the streets of Northern Virginia with his campaign signs in the last two weeks. I would suggest that in recent polls, he's the only one anyone recognizes. But as long as he keeps up with his several times a day robocalling he's going to do a terrific job of turning off many Democrats.

Moran has 5 votes just from my household and from the neighbors I've talked to (I'm a precinct poll watcher so I make it my self-imposed duty to remind my neighbors of these primaries) NONE of the 26 Dems on my block intend to vote for him and all of those same voters are supporting Moran. Of course this is Northern Virginia "Commie territory" but my Dem friends to the South and West all say they can't stand/ trust McAulliffe because of how much he pushed and pushed on the Hillary Clinton. campaign.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Thu May 21, 2009 at 01:58:00 PM PDT

•  Not so bad? (4+ / 0-)
      lowkell, akeitz, Lying eyes, ferallike

McDonnell is a Pat Robertson clone-talk about returning to the Dark Ages!

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it. ~Author Unknown

by VA Breeze on Thu May 21, 2009 at 01:29:17 PM PDT

•  Not so bad (0+ / 0-)

by VA standards. They loved George Allen, who is a total cretin, for years.

•  I'd rather not return to Allen's time (1+ / 0-)
          ferallike

most Virginians deserve better

and it tool Webb's campaign to finally show what a loser Allen is.

by VA Breeze on Thu May 21, 2009 at 01:42:15 PM PDT

•  That might have been his dad. (3+ / 0-)
          akeitz, ferallike, pademocrat

I think Allen Sr. was a popular football coach. Sports people are popular in rural areas, and it used to be that most Virginians lived in the country.

by Ponder Stibbons on Thu May 21, 2009 at 01:52:34 PM PDT

•  Intially yes (0+ / 0-)

I am not from VA, but everything I have read about him was that voters seemed to like him. He was a "Regular kind of guy" (Sort of) who liked sports, guns and chewed tobacco and wore cowboy boots. At least that is what I have heard and read. Not that I bought any of it, but I think he did cultiave a likeable image.

•  Not in Northern Virginia (1+ / 0-)
              VA Breeze

He was only considered "a regular kind of guy by those who had no clue about the issues but associated him with his father, Coach George Allen, who took the Skins to the Superbowl.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Thu May 21, 2009 at 02:01:25 PM PDT

•  But it did work (0+ / 0-)

well enough for him to win a Gov's race and a senate race. I never bought it any more than I bought W Bush or GHW Bush as "Regular guys" but it did work.

•  As I said (0+ / 0-)

Not in Northern Virginia

But it also looks like Virginians (and the rest of the country) realize that we don't want a "regular kind of guy" but rather someone smarter than us. Virginia turned its back on the regular kind of guy image. Look at the electorial map for Virginia for the Presidential election. There's a whole lotta red on that map but Obama still took the state 53% to McCain's 46%. Northern Virginia, Richmond, Blacksburg, Charlottesvile, etc has been pushing the states elections. Even Gerry Connolly  beat the Repub. 55-43 in taking Tom Davis' seat in an area of Northern VA heavily populated by Republicans.

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -8.50, -6.92

by ferallike on Thu May 21, 2009 at 02:18:00 PM PDT

•  History says that the GOP has the edge (1+ / 0-)
      NJVADem

Since Carter's time the Governor of VA has been from the Party not in control of the White House. Thurs, throughout the 1980s and the early 2000s, VA had Democratic governors. Throughout the late 1970s and most of the 1990s, VA had Republican Governors. It seems to be that the Party out of the White House tends to win the Governorship.

•  My ass (1+ / 0-)
      Pozzo

Delve into the positions and beliefs of the man we call "Taliban Bob." The GOP's nominee is Sarah Palin in a necktie. Even McAuliffe, who I do not support in this primary, would be a ton better.

-1.50, -3.95 | VA 2009: Deeds / Wagner / Shannon