View Diary: Vehicle registration (32 comments)

•  Driving markets got us into this mess. (0+ / 0-)

Using alternative fuels is not a net good, just a less bad.

Steep fuel taxes will push towards, for example, living closer to work or near viable rail.

Practicing Law without a License is my 3d favorite Crime.

by ben masel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 10:38:59 AM PDT

•  Unless you are a farmer... (2+ / 0-)
      SciMathGuy, tnproud2b

...or someone else who lives out in the country. Not everyone lives in the city, y`know!

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 10:45:40 AM PDT

•  For farmers, steep taxes on fuel push (0+ / 0-)

towards more fuel efficient farming methods, including on-the-farm produced biofuels and a return to draft animals.

Practicing Law without a License is my 3d favorite Crime.

by ben masel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:01:27 AM PDT

•  You live in the city? (1+ / 0-)
          SciMathGuy

Draft animals are a rare breed these days. Just sayin'...

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:04:32 AM PDT

•  BECAUSE of cheap petro (0+ / 0-)

Practicing Law without a License is my 3d favorite Crime.

by ben masel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:42:51 AM PDT

•  Heh. I have a draft horse. (1+ / 0-)
            JeffW

He figgers that "work" isn't in his job description.

I have a redneck nephew-in-law who told me last year (when gas hit $4 / gallon), "At least you have horses." He never stopped to think about the absolute impracticality of riding to work every day. This isn't the Old West. Where the hell would I "park" a horse in town? Not to mention that nowadays, there are folks around who'd rather not have their co-workers smell like a horse...

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." --- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by SciMathGuy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 12:47:33 PM PDT

•  That's my point... (1+ / 0-)
              SciMathGuy

...you have to recreate a whole infrastructure for using horses as transportation and work power. Who has money to buy farm implements that are horse-drawn? I guess you'd rather starve while the farmers struggle with a switch back to real horse-power, eh?

Float like a manhole cover, sting like a sash weight! Clean Coal Is A Clinker!

by JeffW on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 12:51:59 PM PDT

•  Exactly, farmers are in a position to make... (0+ / 0-)

... their own fuels like biodiesel.

Indeed, Rudolf Diesel pushed the idea of farmers making their own fuel as a big advantage of his engine over petrol engines.  Rudolf Diesel disappeared at sea in 1913.  Some suspect assassination by petroleum interests.

Big Joe Helton: "I pay Plenty."
          Chico Marx: "Well, then we're Plenty Tough."

by Caelian on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:20:20 AM PDT

•  Or live in a small/medium sized town (1+ / 0-)
        SciMathGuy

Mass transit either does not exist or is so lacking in routes/service to be non-existant in many towns.  In Wichita, where I used to live, the buses stopped running at 6 pm and only ran hourly up to that time.  The people with money, who run the town, can afford the expenses.  There is no way they will approve increasing funds for mass transit, so it is the poor that get get squeezed once again.

I would love to see an increase in mass transit and fuel efficiencies, but unfortunately in many areas I do not see it happening

Anybody can make history. Only a great man can write it. Oscar Wilde

by solotime on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:14:56 AM PDT

•  Thank you. (0+ / 0-)

JeffW, I'd send you a dozen eggs if I could. How nice to see that someone remembers small farmers and other rural folks!

by SciMathGuy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 12:42:41 PM PDT