View Diary: UPDATED: PA newspaper runs ad calling for assassination of Obama (615 comments)

•  it's just a bored clerk taking ads over the (11+ / 0-)

phone. i don't think you need a j-school degree with a minor in history for the job.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:05:37 PM PDT

•  A knowledge of middle school American history (8+ / 0-)

would be an asset.

Hate, lower taxes for the rich, increased profits for corporations, love of the flag image,and guns; what else do Republicans stand for?

by Blogvirgin on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:11:07 PM PDT

•  I didn't learn that in MS.... (5+ / 0-)

Most "modern" history classes (forgive the pun) don't "teach" history, they more or less gloss over it.  In Middle School I "learned" about Lincoln and had HEARD of Kennedy, but only because of the Zappruder (sp) film.  Even in HS, we did not discuss Garfield or McKinley.....it was only after talking with my father - the history buff did he learn about Garfield and I think I learned of McKinley via independent research.....SO, IF I am a typical product of public education in this country, post-1960, it is logical that the clerk didn't put 2 and 2 together.  Based on my work experience, I would extrapolate that s/he was some minimum wage/temp flunky thankful to have a job in this economy who likely answered the phone and entered the language into a computer without giving it a second thought.

HOWEVER - an EDITOR should have caught it before it went to press.....THAT's where the negligence would be.

Proud to be a Red County, Texas Democrat!

by Webslinger on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:25:44 PM PDT

•  I'm fairly certain I heard about the fate (1+ / 0-)
      Bluedoc

of these men in high school.  If this person also is entrusted with collecting money for ads, he or she is expected to have some thinking skills.

Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way. Booker T. Washington

by conlakappa on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:15:20 PM PDT

•  Not really, clk. In a finer world, maybe. (2+ / 0-)
        Ice Blue, trumpeter

This could even have been a h.s. student in a summer job.  When I think back about where my head was in h.s. it makes me shudder in embarrassment.  Shallow & self-absorbed doesn't even scratch the surface...and it continued into college.  Ick. Very uncomfortable to think about.

"Evil is a lack of empathy, a total incapacity to feel with their fellow man." - Capt. Gilbert,Psychiatrist, at the end of Nuremberg trials.

by 417els on Thu May 28, 2009 at 01:44:55 PM PDT

•  This discussion makes me realize that the person (3+ / 0-)
        Tonedevil, Yamara, Cassandra Waites

who posted the ad is not only older, but politically astute.

"As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever." -- Clarence Darrow

by Bluedoc on Thu May 28, 2009 at 02:12:33 PM PDT

•  Cared enough to spend the extra to get (2+ / 0-)
          Bluedoc, Tonedevil

all the names in, not just the better known Lincoln and Kennedy.

Can you see this inaugural, Dr. King? Did you see this?

by Cassandra Waites on Thu May 28, 2009 at 03:18:37 PM PDT

•  Not so sure about "astute", but... (2+ / 0-)
          Bluedoc, Tonedevil

Knew some stuff.  A lot of conspiracy theorists and other obeseeives know some stuff about thir obsession without really having broad enough knowledge to understand the context or deeper meaning.

This person probably had heard about assassinations, and liked the idea.

Those who do not study history should not be permitted to make it.

by trumpeter on Thu May 28, 2009 at 03:31:16 PM PDT