View Diary: Number for top Operation Rescue staffer found in suspect's car (308 comments)

•  I don't know what god they serve (5+ / 0-)

because this ain't christianity.

It's christianist, not christianity.

"They want to win, at any price. So, you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -Steve Gilliard.

by demkat620 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 02:20:19 PM PDT

•  What they do is ending Christianity (2+ / 0-)
      Meggie, CherryTheTart

Hey you - Noob. Don't suck, ok?

by cskendrick on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 02:23:59 PM PDT

•  No, no, no Christianity has to claim this. (5+ / 0-)

Christianity is the only influence on these people.  Trying to claim these people are not Christians is like the Republicans saying Bush/Cheney were not conservatives.

•  Hate-mongering ideologues (3+ / 0-)
        texasmom, GN1927, paxpdx

influence these people.  They may also be a very, very small segment of Christianity (in that they may label themselves Christian), but real Christianity obviously has NO influence over these people, or they wouldn't be advocating and commiting murder.

"Let reverence for the laws . . . become the political religion of the nation." ~ Abraham Lincoln

by noweasels on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 02:33:33 PM PDT

•  The leaders of the Christians are perfectly (2+ / 0-)
          Nailbanger, QuestionAuthority

willing to let these people do their dirty work and commit ugliness.  They stay silent.  They let these people call themselves Christian.  They do not draw clear lines about how the issue should be dealt with in the law.  It is convenient.  Until, these people do something so abhorrent it threatens to stain Christianity.  Then, no, no these people aren't Christians.

No, you (Christian leaders) let them align themselves with you with full knowledge of their capabilities when it is convenient.  When they can bring attention just enough to an issue.  But, then say you don't know who they are, you never saw them before in your life when it gets uncomfortable for you....  Bull Shit.  They do this in the name of Christianity.  It is their whole excuse for behaving in such an evil way.  The Christian leaders should have made it loud and clear beforehand that they reject them as Christians.  Nothing but, crickets from those people.

•  Christianity has to own this. (0+ / 0-)

I am a Christian. I agree. We Christians must take responsibility for acts done in Christ's name. We are not guilty. The murderer is guilty. But we are responsible.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 02:45:47 PM PDT

•  I disagree (3+ / 0-)

Christians are not responsible for this any more than Muslims are responsible for 9/11.  The nut who did this, along with anyone who encouraged/participated in murder, are responsble.  "Christians" are not responsible for this murder.   The vast, vast majority of Christians are aghast at this horrible event.  Yes, there are a few wackos who are praising it -- they are idiots and do not represent Christianity as a whole.

•  Christians not responsible? (0+ / 0-)

Depends on what you mean when you use the word responsible. What part of "Chrisitians are not guilty but we are responsible" confused you?

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 08:00:47 PM PDT

•  What do you mean by responsible? (1+ / 0-)
              coffeetalk

Why do you feel that you must take responsibility? I certainly don't expect that. All I would like is acknowledgement that yes, he is a Christian, and no, you don't agree with his views or actions. But even that is not your responsibility, in my view.

Economic Left/Right: -4.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
              A yam.
              What a Yam!
              And that's all that - A yam.

by AaronInSanDiego on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 08:21:12 PM PDT

•  Responsibility. (0+ / 0-)

Everybody has to define for themselves what that means.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 10:56:52 PM PDT

•  OK (1+ / 0-)
                  CherryTheTart

I'm just curious how you define it for yourself, but if you'd prefer to keep that to yourself that's OK.

Economic Left/Right: -4.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
                  A yam.
                  What a Yam!
                  And that's all that - A yam.

by AaronInSanDiego on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 11:15:52 PM PDT

•  What responsibility means to me. (3+ / 0-)

It means that when my chosen religion is on a track that is destructive and produces destruction, I must speak up no matter how much grief I may get for speaking an inconvenient truth. I must do more than speak; I must actively resist.

When doing one's duty as a Christian is seen as commiting an act of mortal aggression on another, I must not permit this interpretation of Christ's teaching to stand as ethical or honorable or religiously sound.

Responsiblity means that I may not ostracize a fellow Christian no matter how evil I think an act of his might be. He is my brother and I have an obligation to strive with him and speak to the Christ within him. Jesus mission was to the despised.

Responsibility means that I must attempt to live up to the testimony of my Christian sect, no matter how hard it is to do that and how miserably I fail. Thank you for the opportunity you have given me to share my grief and determination by asking your question. I am full of grief.

"We do utterly deny all outward wars and strife and fighting with outward weapons, for any end or under any pretense whatsoever. And this is our testimony to the whole world." -- Declaration to Charles II, 1661

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 05:27:42 AM PDT

•  I commend you for struggling with these issues (1+ / 0-)
                      CherryTheTart

and being true to your ideals. I'm sorry you feel such grief, but thanks for sharing this. And I appreciate that you don't deny the reality that people who commit heinous acts are also members of your faith community, because acknowledging and confronting that is respectful of the victims of those acts, whoever they may be.

From my outside perspective, I don't ask for such a deep commitment from Christians. But I think recognizing and confronting the truth is an honorable thing to do.

Economic Left/Right: -4.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
                      A yam.
                      What a Yam!
                      And that's all that - A yam.

by AaronInSanDiego on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 07:54:18 AM PDT

•  I get what you are saying...people who wear (6+ / 0-)

the cloak of "Christianity" without having any idea what it is about...have no clue about the message of love Christ was spreading...ergo..."Christianists".

The "Christianists" have turned many people off to Christianity.

"As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever." -- Clarence Darrow

by Bluedoc on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 02:32:53 PM PDT