View Diary: Number for top Operation Rescue staffer found in suspect's car (308 comments)

•  Some sociopath (5+ / 0-)

who, for decades, heard people telling him that this doctor was a mass murderer and that someone should do something, did.

Doesn't excuse him. But his mental illness doesn't excuse those that egged him on, either.

Are you on the Wreck List? Horde on Garrosh.

by Moody Loner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 03:02:22 PM PDT

•  Succinct, to the point and thoughtful. (0+ / 0-)

So much meat in so few words.

I see it as being similar to parents who object to violent video games, TV and movies.

I don't see how it can't have an impact on an unhinged mind.

Reminds me of all those folks on this very site who like Ben Franklin's famous quote on trading liberty for security.

The abortion thing is a double whammy, because it's political speech, which is the most highly protected speech under the Constitution.

I don't like mass murder rhetoric at all, any more than I like a lot of the war criminal, etc, rhetoric I hear (ok, read) around here.

But...it is the price of a free society, even when it bites.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 03:11:04 PM PDT

•  And I find it interesting (6+ / 0-)

that the very same people that tell me that violent video games and television will turn me into a slobbering psychopath tell me that decades of hate speech from right wing radio and Fox News has nothing to do with this.

Or, why is it never freedom of speech when they're blaming Dungeons and Dragons?

Just sayin'.

Where does advocating a political viewpoint become support of terrorism? Well, we won't find out here, because according to our "liberal" corporate media white people aren't terrorists.

Are you on the Wreck List? Horde on Garrosh.

by Moody Loner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 03:18:50 PM PDT

•  Isn't that the bite of it all? (0+ / 0-)

If you curb free speech so that it never rises to something that might be viewed by some as terrorism, you have cut it back too far.

One thing, though --

Why do you insist that the media doesn't believe that white people can't be terrorists?
          Or are you distinguishing between enteratainment and news, because

Timothy McVeigh and the KKK must qualify as terrorists, and I think the media would agree. Over in Ireland -- the IRA certainly must have qualified.  Again, I think the media would agree.

Heck -- even this year's '24' centered around a group of rich white corporate terrorist types.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 04:18:07 PM PDT

•  The media (0+ / 0-)

label Timothy McVeigh as a lone nut and the KKK usually only in a historical context - and possibly as "extremists" but never as "terrorists".

Unless you're getting a different cable news than I am - look at how Operation Rescue has been backpedalling from their earlier statements while trying to maintain that the victim deserved it. Look how the people interviewing them let them.

Brown people with funny names would be getting their civil rights violated by now - see the "Sears Tower" plot.

Are you on the Wreck List? Horde on Garrosh.

by Moody Loner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 06:02:11 PM PDT

•  And, (0+ / 0-)

as I keep pointing out, 24 is fiction.

Are you on the Wreck List? Horde on Garrosh.

by Moody Loner on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 06:02:42 PM PDT

•  Sure, but media is a lot of things, (0+ / 0-)

and I wasn't sure if you were referring to news, entertainment, or both.

At the very least, the fiction of "24" means that some folks in the media writ large understand that terrorists can look like just about anybody.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 06:16:38 PM PDT

•  Probably as interesting... (0+ / 0-)

as how the same people who were so merciless on Gore (Tipper, mostly) for her crusade against violent and graphic music, who now can't wait to silence Rush and others who speak in admittedly incidiary and hyperbolic language.

And I wonder, how many of the people eager to sic the feds on O'Rielly and other conservative talkers because of their speech were cheering those carrying "Bush=Hitler" signs? That seems kind of, umm, hyperbolic and incindiary to me as well.

Look, the First Amendment protects political speech first and foremost. Trying to "get" conservative talkers for this is just an attempt to stiffle political talk you don't like.

But I will give you, lots of hypocrisy on both sides here, as you point out.

Sean Parnell