View Diary: A Primary Challenge to Donna Edwards? (153 comments)

•  MB you uprated Pager when he/she (3+ / 0-)

says there is nothing anti-semitic about this diary????  Come on.. First of all there is a quote from some Rabbi that says something vaguely about trouble with Edwards' Jewish constituency (a constituency that voted over 75% for Barak Obama - a liberal democrat who is also African American). The diarist then goes on to talk about other candidates knocked out by the "Israel Lobby". And that is not anti-semitic. COME ON.....

MB you are always progressive here what's up with that?

Also look at the folks defending the diarist - Redstatemike - gee now there is a progressive poster. ROFL.

"(about Newt...) You're pathetic. And I hate everything you stand for. Go away and take Dick Cheney and Karl Rove with you while you're at it. "

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 05:25:26 PM PDT

•  The article cites numerous sources (2+ / 0-)
      Terra Mystica, volleyboy1

expressing their concerns about her or confirming that there are people considering backing a primary opponent.

"Ron Halber, executive director of the Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington"

"Rabbi Stuart Weinblatt of the B’nai Tzedek synagogue in Potomac, Md."

"Rabbi Ari Sunshine of the B’nai Shalom synagogue of Olney, Md."

"Larry Fishbein, the president and publisher of the Washington Jewish Week newspaper"

On the other hand, there are numerous sources cited by name, including one from J Street, who are supporting her.

The article even mentions one person who is supposedly trying to drum up support for a run:

There are already signs that the Jewish community is preparing to back a primary challenge to Edwards. Last month, Maryland Del. Herman Taylor attended the American Israel Public Affairs Committee policy conference in Washington — in no small part, he said, to gauge support for a run against Edwards.

All that being said, I don't know why they brought McKinney and Hilliard into it, and I still think the author of the article is trying to intimidate or stir up trouble where there probably isn't any real trouble.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." --Samuel Johnson

by joanneleon on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 06:16:58 PM PDT

•  Listen. (4+ / 0-)
      sofia, zemblan, Aunt Martha, alpolitics

I've paid a very heavy price for my consistent advocacy for Jews and Israel. If there's anyone on this site whose affection for Jews is not in question, it would be me. So maybe you'll offer m some deference when I say that Donna Edwards is not a problem.

She's part of the solution, frankly.

Dear republicans: teabagging is when the gogo-boy slaps his balls into your face. Thanks.

by MBNYC on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 09:59:41 PM PDT

•  I hold judgement (1+ / 0-)
        zemblan

I'm not willing to say she's part of the solution.  I'm willing to say she's gets an "Inc."  Lets see if she moderates her anti-Israel activism over the next 2 years before we primary her.  If she develops a bad records, we'll reevaluate.  Hopefully, she'll become more pro-Israel and it won't be a problem.

"Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel, and it must remain undivided." --Barack Obama, June, 2008

by oldskooldem on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 10:12:23 PM PDT

•  I don't disagree with you (0+ / 0-)

I do offer you that deference. I was more commenting on what I thought was the nature of the diary - not Edwards. It turns out there was confusion about that as well.

I agree Edwards is part of the solution not the problem.

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 07:46:32 AM PDT

•  yep. (0+ / 0-)

I've paid a very heavy price for my consistent advocacy for Jews and Israel.

I'll vouch for that.

harps and angels! harps and angels!

by zemblan on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 02:51:44 PM PDT