View Diary: A Primary Challenge to Donna Edwards? (153 comments)

•  I didn't read this diary the way you did n/t (1+ / 0-)
    Aunt Martha
    •  Ok fair enough........ (2+ / 0-)
      MoshebenAvraham, rossl

neither did the guy from J street to be fair.

But others did.

All I can say is that the other diary was way cleaner and way more representative. Read this one again and tell me you don't see the dog whistles.

However, if you feel it is different I can respect your opinion.

"(about Newt...) You're pathetic. And I hate everything you stand for. Go away and take Dick Cheney and Karl Rove with you while you're at it. "

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 07:12:25 PM PDT

•  "guy from J Street"? (1+ / 0-)
        volleyboy1

What do you mean?

•  rbguy tipped the diary (2+ / 0-)
          rossl, thebluecrayon

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 07:20:50 PM PDT

•  Does rbguy work for JStreet? nt (2+ / 0-)
            rossl, volleyboy1
            •  Don't know but he posted the (1+ / 0-)
              thebluecrayon

link...Sort of made it look like it but I don't know.

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 07:31:04 PM PDT

•  I don't work for J Street (4+ / 0-)

Although I do support them and I am an ambassador (volunteer) for their October Conference.

In response to volleyboy1, I did not find the diary anti-semitic.  However, I will respect your feelings if you did feel it was.

•  Ok, thanks. nt (1+ / 0-)
                rbguy
              •  Well I do appreciate that - (2+ / 0-)
                MoshebenAvraham, thebluecrayon

Out of curiousity (and I say this purely out of curiousity with no disrespect) - how do you not see this as offensive (serious question)? Again I am not disrespecting your view I really am seriously asking the question.

First of all we all know Politico is going to do a hack job. Second of all the diarist mentions three politicians two of which he/she assumes is tossed by the all powerful "Israel Lobby" (re: Jews).

Then the people jumping to the diarists defense are some of our more brilliant posters like WWF champ and all around tough guy redstatemike or rikyah who claims that Edwards is thinking for herself and not being controlled.

Why are the other two politicians mentioned in the first place? I will tell you why - it is to tie a danger to the "Israel Lobby". Look read my diaries to see where I stand - believe me I am no Likudnik. But... this diary just set off all kinds of alarms.

I am curious as to your thoughts.

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 08:09:44 PM PDT

•  Thanks for the note and the question (2+ / 0-)
                  joanneleon, alpolitics

I don't know if I have a great answer for you.

I believe that the links with McKinney and Hilliard were brought up because they were noted in the Politico.com piece.  When I read the comments in this diary regarding these former Representatives, I felt that the writer was poining out the problems with these people (especially with the behavior of Rep. McKinney and her father).

Maybe I am wrong, but my immediate feeling is that the author genuinely respects Congresswoman Edwards, and is trying to protect her from powerful and well organized people and/or groups that have had a successful history of challenging elected officials that differ with them on specific policy issues.

In general, I will point out that I live amongst many family members, friends, and acquaintances that are quick to point out anti-semitism in many instances.  Some of these events or issues are actually anti-semitic.  However, most of the time, I do not feel that things rise to that level.  As a result, I am very hesitant to immediately level things as anti-semitic.

Maybe that this will cause me to miss an acutally anti-semitic issue, but I feel that my caution is a better behavior (for me).  I believe that this allows me to try and stay more calm when dealing with something that I may or may not agree with.

I will try to read your diaries to find out more of your beliefs.  I completely believe it when you state that you are no Likudnik.  I am thankful that you are so open to having this type of dialogue.

•  Thanks for the well thoughtout (4+ / 0-)

response. Usually believe it or not I am the last to think in terms of anti-semitism. On my college and club Rugby teams I was always "Jon the Jew". I also grew up in a really anti-semitic area where I was told I was one of the "twenty percent of the good ones" and had to fight a fair amount because of that. I really learned when someone is being an idiot and someone really hates Jews.

I am really committed to progressive causes and there is no danger of ever voting Republican - but, what bothers me is that there are a number of people on the left that bring their anti-semitism to bear on discussions involving America and Jewish influence. Of course, there are way more on the right who are racist but that is another story.

I see AIPAC and the "Jewish Lobby" as having way less power than others do - in fact - I think while they occasionally swing a big stick mostly it is as one commenter put it a way for pols. to get free money.

I think there are many people on the progressive side who use it to hide their anti-Jewish sentiments and that saddens me beyond belief.

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 08:35:01 PM PDT

•  I greatly appreciate your comment (1+ / 0-)
                      volleyboy1

As someone who has experienced little anti-semitism, I cannot and should not deny your feelings and instincts (or anyone else who has suffered the trauma of being attacked for their religion, sexuality, gender, beliefs).

I continue to believe that those people on the progressive side who question and challenge the Israeli government and military are doing it for the reasons of justice and equality and not anti-semitism.

I think that I'm calling it a night.  If you have a response or comment, I will certainly stick around long enough to read it.  Otherwise, hopefully we can continue this conversation at another time.

•  i'm jewish also (1+ / 0-)
                      volleyboy1

and also very pro - israel. i said that i did not agree with edwards vote btw.

•  OY! Now you tell us (1+ / 0-)
                        thebluecrayon

Honestly I thought the diary had a real anti-semitic tinge to it. Hard to call a fellow Jew an Anti-Semite though.

The thing is if I may speak honestly with you, is... well you read my comments. I stand by them although obviously this new piece of info. comes as kind of a shock.

All I would say is next time please let people know where you are coming from....

by volleyboy1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 09:25:43 PM PDT

•  my issues with your comments (1+ / 0-)
                          volleyboy1

i said may be opposed by pro israel lobby- maybe i should have said "an article from Politico read that they may be opposed by a portion of the Jewish community" - and i was also very clear that McKinney and Hilliard had more serious problems.

this is one reason why I don't comment much on Israel here or anywhere to be honest. I've been very critical of McKinney here and talk about some anti-semitic responses.

I did learn a little more about J-Street. So thanks for that piece of information.

Also - I did not realize you were being saracastic when you said "dem joos". I think your points would have been more clear if you would have talked about your concerns clearly rather than saying "dogwhistles".

•  Well, I appreciate your comment back (0+ / 0-)

Let's wipe the slate clean and I look forward to reading more of your posts now that I know about all of this. Generally I have seen on this site out of strong misunderstanding comes conversation and then usually a better understanding.

Also, I will attempt in the future to be more clear, I can promise that.

Have a good day - and we can talk again later.

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 07:43:18 AM PDT