View Diary: Is This Joke Racist? (97 comments)

•  It's not just who tells it... (1+ / 0-)
    marykk

It's also who it's told to.

In a group of Jews, the joke (as I explained in the diary) is a celebration of Jewish wit and cleverness: The other two guys had to give up $100 each, while the Jewish guy gets off free, unless of course there is a heaven (and the heaven has banks), in which case he is also covered by keeping his promise.

•  I got the joke. And I'm saying you're wrong. (0+ / 0-)

It doesn't matter whether it's told by a Jew or not. It's not funny. It's racist. See my comment below.

I didn't think it was funny when I read it, (0+ / 0-)
      so I wouldn't find it appropriate under either circumstance. Frankly, nowadays that kind of joke is more likely to illicit uncomfortable titters at best. I don't buy that it's okay to tell a joke about your own group, or among your own group. Rather I try to condiser how someone else might feel if I used the name of their group in the joke, and it rarely comes up funny.

by sboucher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 12:27:17 AM EDT

You set up the "mental exercise..."

I think a Black protagonist doesn't work quite as well on the humor level, because the "terrible with money" stereotype is not one of the first stereotypes about Blacks that comes to mind...The stereotype of money-hungry, stingy Jews is more powerful and more salient than "terrible with money".

by lyubansky on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 12:29:13 AM EDT

...and I suggest you use a "stereotypes about Blacks" to make the joke "work"...

So say (0+ / 0-)

the AA guy steals the bling off of the corpse. Does that work for you?

by sboucher on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 12:31:34 AM EDT

and you have the nerve to say that's racist and not funny.

Where is the humor in that? (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:  debedb

That's just racist, without any humor whatsoever.

I wrote a diary about the complexities of racial humor.

So it didn't come up funny, huh. This diary isn't about complexities, it's about people feeling like they have license to tell jokes about other people, and particularly about Jews.

It's not just a zip code, it's an attitude.

by sboucher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 11:02:16 PM PDT

•  I don't know (0+ / 0-)

I heard a version of that joke thirty years ago, and it featured an Irish wake, with the braggart offering to double the amount of money placed in the coffin to see the deceased into the hereafter.

Now the teller was Irish and so am I. I may even have heard it at a wake. I thought it was funny.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you've never been in the dark with a mosquito.

by marykk on Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 03:46:05 AM PDT

•  And this seals it. (0+ / 0-)

I would not at all be inclined to laugh at that joke

That is, you wouldn't find it funny [or wouldn't laugh]

unless the person telling it was Jewish.

So if a Jew tells it, you'd be inclined to laugh.

Therefore, having a Jew tell it either makes it funnier, or makes you more comfortable laughing at it. Which is it, hmm?

Either way it's racist.

It's not just a zip code, it's an attitude.

by sboucher on Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 11:20:22 PM PDT