View Diary: VA-Gov: Statistical dead heat, Deeds with mo, McAuliffe with the anti-mo' (181 comments)

•  Does Moran have a shot at this thing? (3+ / 0-)
    GN1927, ScienceMom, LaFajita

Just curious. Who has the best team on the ground?

Educate yourself. Think for yourself. Be yourself. Act for others.

by DHinIA on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 02:18:57 PM PDT

•  I wish he did (4+ / 0-)
      Aexia, Dems2004, GN1927, LaFajita

but he ran a crappy campaign.  Have heard his ground game sucks...but we will not know for sure until Tuesday night.

Reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine

by ScienceMom on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 02:36:21 PM PDT

•  I couldn't be more pleased (4+ / 0-)
        Dems2004, VA Breeze, redding888, LaFajita

Deeds is solid and a decent guy.  A true Virginia democrat.  (He is also the only candidate GOP or Dem who actually from VA...for what it's worth.)  No one can paint him as a carpet bagger. Not So Terry McA.  I fear Moran could get that label pretty easily too.)

I have been pulling for him since 2005.  Go Creigh.  He is a hellofa nice guy and down to earth, not to mention that he is everywhere that there are Virginians to meet and listen to.  I have spoken with the guy at lesat 4-5 times, and I haven't even tried.

•  Moran a "carpetbagger"? (2+ / 0-)
          walden, Michael91
          Because he wasn't born in Virginia?

Brian Moran's held office in Virginia for nineteen years (seven as a county prosecutor, twelve as a state senator).  Linking him to McAuliffe as a "carpetbagger" is a gigantic, and unfair, stretch of the truth.

Would you join a whites-only country club? Then would you marry in the United States?

by osterizer on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:51:04 PM PDT

•  Oh I don't consider him a carpetbagger (0+ / 0-)

I just think the GOP could paint him with that.  I have heard rumors that Moran has taken voice coaching to get rid of his New England accent for exactly that reason.  Very Wise I think.

Of course neither Warner nor Kaine grew up in VA, and they have done great.

Still I think there is something about being from New England, sounding like it, and living in NoVa that could be used by the GOP against him.  McDonnell has lived in VA all but his first year of life, he is not from NOVA and he sounds like it.

We'll see about the labels.  I hope I am wrong.

•  Well, (3+ / 0-)
        kevj, thegools, Egalitare

I would beg to differ, in my area of NoVA Moran is the ONLY one WITH a ground game (Mount Vernon-Lee-Alexandria).

Moran is going to sweep the inner suburbs big time.  Depending on turnout elsewhere, and whether he can stay competitive in the rest of NoVA will determine whether Brian or Creigh is the nominee.

I am just SOOOOO happy that it's looking like Terry is not going to do this.  He just wasn't the right guy for the right time.  I hope he remains involved in the race, and will score a LOT of bonus points from me if he can raise some serious cash for the House of Delegates races like he said he would.

We're not going to change Virginia until we win the House and restore rational leadership there.

I like Creigh too, but he's been downright abyssmal at addressing his previous inconsistencies in equality & civil rights and he really, really miscalculated on that---he lost A LOT of potential GLBT support in NoVA because of that, including me.  In a low turnout primary, believe me, that's going to matter.

If only we could combine the money & organization of McAuliffe, the electability of Deeds, and the issues and ideas of Moran, we'd have the PERFECT candidate!

At least we've got the PERFECT STORM GOP ticket to run against.  We need to REALLY stress how amazingly extreme and right-wing that the ticket of McDonnell-Bolling-Cuccinelli is.  It is REALLY frightening where they could take Virginia, folks, especially if Democrats don't win the House of Delegates.

•  Probably not. And McAuliffe probably has (4+ / 0-)

the best ground operation. He has the money for it. Deeds scrapped some of his field operation to go heavier on TV, but with his donations surging now, I hope he invests the new monies in turnout.

-1.50, -3.95 | VA 2009: Deeds / Wagner / Shannon

by Red Sox on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 02:50:29 PM PDT

•  Wrong (4+ / 0-)
        JR, imorroy, Michael91, Egalitare
        In Arlington, Alexandria, and inner suburbs, where MOST of NoVA primary voters are, McAuliffe basically has NO groung game.  The only people who've been in my precinct are Moran folks.
        •  That's an important thing to consider: (1+ / 0-)
          Egalitare

Up in Alexandria especially, the DEC is still hot after the last council election.  They've got their GOTV program ready and just had a test-run, and Moran's had that support locked in for over a year.

Torturing people to death in secret prisons to bolster the case for an illegal invasion of another country is un-American.

by JR on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 03:01:09 PM PDT

•  Well, that GOTV operation (1+ / 0-)
            kevj

didn't exactly do wonders for the City Council race. We lost a rising star in Justin Wilson and another good Democrat in Tim Lovain. Moreover, we damn near lost Brian Moran's delegate seat despite it being an overwhelmingly Democratic district.

-1.50, -3.95 | VA 2009: Deeds / Wagner / Shannon

by Red Sox on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 03:56:15 PM PDT

•  Yeah, but there's no GOP this time (0+ / 0-)

The Wilson loss was tough, but he'll be back (we used to be neighbors when I lived in Del Rey).  But there were organized Republicans in that electorate, which isn't going to be an issue with the Democratic Primary.  And the Moran seat was, again, challenged by the GOP and a low turnout special election--that it was a close race shouldn't be surprising in the least.

by JR on Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 05:30:36 PM PDT

•  Maybe in your precinct, but I've seen (1+ / 0-)
          kevj

the opposite in NoVA. Either way, this will be a low turnout affair, with committed Dems coming out either way. If Brian does have a better field operation than Terry, I haven't seen it, but I would like it if he did.

-1.50, -3.95 | VA 2009: Deeds / Wagner / Shannon