View Diary: Big Media's gambit to protect their profit margins (191 comments)

•  No they get want they want for free online (0+ / 0-)

People subscribe to the local big city paper for the types of things that the newspapers put on their websites for free. That's why they are losing subscribers.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 02:36:01 PM PDT

•  That's what the newspapers are claiming... (1+ / 0-)
      esquimaux

but do you really think they would claim that their content is the issue?

•  The economic model doesn't work (0+ / 0-)

The newspaper business had its decades in the sun, and it was a fun and very profitable business, but it's over. The economic model doesn't work any more and the big city, home delivered, newspaper business will be gone completely in the next few years.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 02:47:15 PM PDT

•  Yes, I've heard that before too... (0+ / 0-)

Yet I don't see small, independently-owned newspapers having the same trouble the big conglomerates are having.

•  different economic model (0+ / 0-)

Small local papers have a different economic model than the big city, daily, home delivered newspapers. The small independents never had big editorial staffs, state, DC, and foreign offices. Most importantly they provide local coverage which is not as available on the Internet and a more targeted local advertising audience that is not as well served on the Internet. However, even local papers are having some financial stress, but they have a longer glide path than their big city brothers.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 03:48:51 PM PDT

•  Our local papers (0+ / 0-)

are owned by a mighty conglomerate of local papers.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 12:52:09 AM PDT

•  If big, home-delivered newspapers go out (0+ / 0-)

of business, a whole lots more people will lose their jobs than just the people who work at the paper - the printers, the delivery people, the ink and paper companies and many others.

It's a damn shame - progress (if this is progress) bites.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 04:54:30 PM PDT

•  I agree Sue, I love newspapers (1+ / 0-)
            kurt

I worked in the newspaper business when it was fun, profitable and expanding. I love newspapers and the feel of newsprint in my fingers. Unfortunately the Internet has killed the big city newspaper business. If any one thing it was Craig's List. It's just an unfortunate part of the Internet, but it is a business where a new technology changed the core economics. It has certainly happened in other industries. I do feel badly for all the people who are losing their jobs, but particularly for the writers. There are few other place for them to go and earn the same kind of salaries. There is a supply imbalance of journalists who would like to receive a paycheck for their work.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Jun 06, 2009 at 05:08:31 PM PDT

•  That's their story (1+ / 0-)
      kurt

but I think for many people it's more complicated than that. For better or worse, most newspaper's online presence is an extremely poor representation of their product. For example, even today in its sadly butchered form I can spend an hour with the LA Times... but I can't seem to find anything interesting to read on the website.

The reality is it took a total content failure to get me to give up my morning newsprint habit. That, and that the newspapers I read would not deliver to my new address.

I still subscribe to journalism - but it comes to me in magazine form. Even though one of the magazines publishes its articles free online, I find their site far less interesting than the magazine. I only use the site when I want to forward articles that I found in the print version.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 12:51:25 AM PDT