Skip to main content

View Diary: Young, Disabled, & both parents dead, he came to ask for help. (253 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Yes, thank goodness. (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    HeyMikey, ms scarlett leadpipe

    BTW -- part of the stimulus package was more $ for SSA to BEGIN to address the staffing shortage.

    I just retired from SSA on May 1 this year after 34 years there.

    Renewable energy brings national security.

    by Calamity Jean on Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 12:31:15 PM PDT

    [ Parent ]

    •  Survivor's Benefits (0+ / 0-)

      My youngest turns 18 in August, he's going to community college. Daughter, 19, is already there. His benefits end in July (paid in August). His friend also turns 18 in  August, she said she will get hers through college.
      Does this happen a lot?

      •  Explanation from SSA's website. (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        ms scarlett leadpipe


        The friend who thinks she will get benefits through college is, I believe, mistaken (unless she is herself disabled). From SSA's website:

        Who can get child's benefits

        Your child can get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild. (In some cases, your child also could be eligible for benefits on his or her grandparents’ earnings.)

        To get benefits, a child must have:

           * A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or
           * A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.

        The child also must be:

           * Unmarried;
           * Younger than 18;
           * 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)


        Benefits can continue at age 18

        Benefits stop when your child reaches age 18 unless your child is a student or disabled.

        If your child is a student

        Three months before your child's 18th birthday, we will send you a notice that benefits will end at age 18 unless your child is a full-time student at a secondary ( or elementary) school. If your child is younger than 19 and still attending a secondary or elementary school, he or she must notify us by completing a statement of attendance that has been certified by a school official. The benefits then will usually continue until he or she graduates, or until two months after reaching age 19, whichever comes first.

        If your child is disabled

        Benefits will continue at age 18 to a child who is disabled. Childhood disability benefits are also payable after attainment of age 18, if the disability began before age 22.

        Can I get benefits for taking college courses?

        No. At one time, SSA did pay benefits to college students, but the law changed in 1981. We now pay benefits only to students taking courses at grade 12 or below.

        "The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

        by HeyMikey on Thu Jun 11, 2009 at 03:48:45 PM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  thank you (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:

          I've been searching the site myself, but you have found more information. That's exactly what's going on with youngest son, he got the letter, and graduated from high school at age 17, so his benefits stop in July, which will be paid in August.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site