View Diary: Dear White People, [ blank ] is NOT like Slavery. (297 comments)

•  I'll assume he meant them, too. (13+ / 0-)

Because, let's be honest--none of us knows what slavery is like, except through history books.  I can identify with my African ancestors as people trying to make a place for themselves in America, but I cannot truly identify with the horrors they faced. That means I can't in good conscience use slavery as a comparison to anything--I haven't experienced it.

I wish people would respect history and stop using it to ante up on their victimhood.

"You must be out of your rabbit ass mind." --my Gram

by BabylonSista on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:43:29 AM PDT

•  Maybe none of US knows (2+ / 0-)
      dufffbeer, susanw

Bah. Typoed during acct creation. It's Ezekiel 23:20

by Ezekial 23 20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:45:59 AM PDT

•  It's not legitimate, it's illegal. (2+ / 0-)
        Exquisite, jennyL

Slavery is slavery, but the difference between U.S. slavery and the current human trafficking is that the government doesn't recognize it as legal.

Keep on trying to minimize the history though.  It's working for you.

"My relationship with America does not fit on a damn bumper sticker" -- Crashing Vor

by balancedscales on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:49:19 AM PDT

•  Oh don't be an ass (3+ / 0-)
          Sychotic1, susanw, Darmok

I'm not minimizing history.  Slavery was 'legal' as you put it, for much of history, and no doubt there still exist countries in which it is still 'legal' for all intents and purposes except in name.

Keep on trying to minimize the history though.  It's working for you.

Nice ad hominem.  Keep up the good argument style.

Bah. Typoed during acct creation. It's Ezekiel 23:20

by Ezekial 23 20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:59:56 AM PDT

•  Your anger seems to have blinded you, (1+ / 0-)
            Exquisite

as your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

You said that "but human trafficking is, tragically, pretty widespread still, and there are still slaves even here in the US."

In response to that, I said that it's not legal.  It doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, but IT'S NOT LEGAL.  You didn't say "throughout history", you said "still".  I responded to your comment, and you chose to try and revise your comment after the fact.

I'll be happy to respond to each of your comments, so long as you don't try and change the content after the fact.

by balancedscales on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 12:04:07 PM PDT

•  Sooooo (0+ / 0-)

after the requisite ad hominem

Your anger seems to have blinded you,
              as your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

I can't clarify my position ever?

Bah. Typoed during acct creation. It's Ezekiel 23:20

by Ezekial 23 20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 12:09:18 PM PDT

•  You called me an ass. Pot, meet kettle. (3+ / 0-)
                Exquisite, Mr Magu, jennyL

I was as civil as possible.  Your original quote, in my opinion was dismissive of the history to which the diarist is referring.

You were telling me that I was wrong, when all I did was respond to your original quote.  If you had written the clarification in the original quote, I wouldn't have responded.

I'm not a pissing-match, flame war guy, so if you want to have a discussion, I'll gladly continue.  If you want to have a flame war, there are plenty of people on here who will engage you.

peace.

by balancedscales on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 12:14:21 PM PDT

•  Well, actually I told you not to be (1+ / 0-)
                  Darmok

an ass, didn't call you one, and your 'all i did was respond to your original quote' was dismissive of me in return.

But I agree that this subthread is pointless, and have mainly moved on to other diaries.

Bah. Typoed during acct creation. It's Ezekiel 23:20

by Ezekial 23 20 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 12:47:21 PM PDT

•  Right and discrimination against gays (0+ / 0-)

is still legal WRT marriage rights.  And I am pretty certain that is the [ blank ] being compared to slavery that is getting (some) folks riled up.

•  I think if the diarist meant them too... (0+ / 0-)

...the title wouldn't start with "Dear White People..."

I can get with the thought here, but not the execution.

My logic is impeccable -- it cannot be pecked.

by theatre goon on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:46:36 AM PDT

•  Ante up on their victimhood (3+ / 0-)
      blindyone, multilee, Ezekial 23 20

Brilliant my sister, well said.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

by amazinggrace on Tue Jun 16, 2009 at 11:54:34 AM PDT

• Recommended (131)
  • Community (66)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site