View Diary: When I couldn't afford to call 911 (192 comments)

•  In some cases (0+ / 0-)

you're right. I hardly consider paying a fee for a health service "punishment". The carrot is not having to pay a fee if you are fortunate enough to remain healthy.

I think we pay enough taxes for services that we do not use or want.

The people of the world can live together in peace.

by cocomas on Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 02:06:58 PM PDT

•  There's a problem with that (16+ / 0-)

At some point, EVERYBODY will need health care. Some, obviously, need more than others, but nobody knows that ahead of time. And shit happens. Nobody can control that.

EVERYBODY should pay for it, because EVERYBODY will need it. If you don't need it NOW, wait - your time will come.

•  Well said. (11+ / 0-)

It's difficult for those of us with chronic situations to be believed when we point out that  it's often luck of the draw - born into a specific body and you're stuck with the genetics and environment that come with it... Not denying it's important to care for it well, but there are some issues which just can't be jogged away...

Humans are built with planned obsolescence - nearly all of us will need medical attention at some point or another.

Torture: An act... specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering upon another person within his custody or physical control.

by MsGrin on Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 03:13:26 PM PDT

•  Look at my original post (0+ / 0-)

where I say the same thing: "Realizing that someday I may" need health care. I may (also) die tomorrow, never having received medical treatment in my life. But it keeps coming out of my paycheck every two weeks, just like social security and medicare.

Certainly, some health care recipients have no choice (accidents, genetics, problems from birth, etc.), but I am against paying for preventable costs, thus believe that there should be more money devoted to preventing health problems and rewards for healthy living.

Is that really so hard to understand?

This is why people see the whole debate as "socialized"  medicine.

The people of the world can live together in peace.

by cocomas on Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 03:53:07 PM PDT

•  But really, what is 'preventable'? (2+ / 0-)
          bablhous, historys mysteries

I eat a pretty balanced diet. I've ALWAYS been overweight, even when I walked everywhere, was on my feet all day, etc. Doesn't matter much what I eat, either.

My sister in law, however is exactly the opposite. She can live on burgers, fries and milkshakes, and she NEVER gains weight. She's always been thin as a rail, her entire life.

I've known people who watched their diets like a hawk, exercised every day, and had a heart attack and needed bypass surgery in their 50s - or younger. And others who smoked from their teens, had horrible diets, drank, didn't exercise - and lived to their 80s.

Life isn't fair - but I agree, more money should be devoted to promoting healthy diets and habits. Maybe a nice hefty tax on fast and heavily processed foods, which would make better food cheaper.

But I wouldn't consider that 'preventing' too much. Just a way to help people live better, and hopefully longer, lives.

And regardless, everybody should pay into the system. Consider it a down payment on the inevitable medical costs you're going to have.

•  Organ replacements due to drug, alchohol, tobacco (0+ / 0-)

abuse. I would consider those preventable. Many cases of heart disease, obesity, gum disease, periodontitis, STD's...the list goes on and on. All preventable. We should not only tax fast food to pay for health care, but equally fund prevention and education programs.

The people of the world can live together in peace.

by cocomas on Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 05:15:46 PM PDT

•  Next time you go to the doc...get your thyroid (0+ / 0-)

levels checked!!

"As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever." -- Clarence Darrow

by Bluedoc on Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 06:28:40 PM PDT

•  Taxes are for the common good...we don't get to (2+ / 0-)
      RAST, musicsleuth

pick and choose what WE personally need.  I don't have children but I never objected to paying taxes for schools because I know that an educated population is better than an ignorant one!!

by Bluedoc on Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 06:27:18 PM PDT