View Diary: Pique the Geek 20090621.  Drugs of Abuse III:  the Psychedelic Indoles (143 comments)

•  Piano, organ. (4+ / 0-)
    G2geek, Translator, C Barr, Larsstephens

I can play at many others, but not for public consumption.  I am the organist and choir director at a small Catholic church.  I started playing in church when I was 10, almost 50 years ago!  The nuns tricked us into it:  "It's such an honor!"  I gotta say, it was a lot easier climbing the choir loft steps then... :-/

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 10:04:55 PM PDT

•  Mrs. Translator and I have a 1958 (4+ / 0-)
      G2geek, C Barr, luckylizard, Larsstephens

Hammond M-3, for what it is worth.  Alas, no Leslie for it.

Warmest regards,

Doc

Time for real health care reform, not just to patch the patches.

by Translator on Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 10:18:38 PM PDT

•  The keyboard is supposed to be the instrument (4+ / 0-)

for roughing out a new song, the structure of the musical scale is layed out right there in the organization of the keys.  Should be ideal if one wanted to learn the mathematical structure of music.  I've read that there seems to be a differentiation between music readers and those who play by ear, with the latter group having an easier time with improvisational music.

... it was a lot easier climbing the choir loft steps then... :-/

It is common knowledge that the force of gravity has significantly increased over the last decade or so.

moderation in everything ... including moderation

by C Barr on Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 10:20:58 PM PDT

•  Sounds like you might be enjoying (3+ / 0-)
        C Barr, luckylizard, Larsstephens

some indoles now.

LOL!

Warmest regards,

Doc

Time for real health care reform, not just to patch the patches.

by Translator on Sun Jun 28, 2009 at 10:26:16 PM PDT

•  most of the bands I knew... (3+ / 0-)
        Translator, luckylizard, Larsstephens

...which spanned the range from punk to progressive to rap, composed by jamming until they hit something interesting, and then improvising on that until it became a song.

In prog it usually started with keyboards & rhythm guitar and fleshed out from there.  In punk it often started on drums & bass, and then rhythm guitar and leads.  Vocals came next with melody and rhythm and sounds that were musical rather than verbal, and lyrics formed around the vocal sounds.  In rap it was all about the vocals, starting with rhythm and finding the words, and then building up a complimentary soundscape.

Rare were those who could write lyrics that worked musically right from the get-go without sounding like a force-fit.  One of those was a guy with an amazing voice who could do Justin Hayward and Peter Gabriel as good as the originals.  He'd write stuff that flowed with the music with no rough edges, but could also stand as poetry.

•  For me, lyrics come first. (3+ / 0-)
          G2geek, Translator, Larsstephens

I may have a vague idea of chord structure but the words/meaning lead everything, melody, harmony, rhythm.  Of course, I don't write that much.

What I do write is for church, when I need a particular psalm or other setting and can't find one that trips my trigger.  You'd think in 2000 years of Christian history there wouldn't be anything left to say, musically or otherwise, but sometimes what's there is just crappy music.

As an aside, I was never that big on the Beatles or Stones, but loved Blood, Sweat and Tears.  I think it was the addition of instrumentation and the fact that several of those in the group actually had music degrees.  The music had a depth that one couldn't find in many other popular groups at the time.  The words were good but the addition of long, interesting instrumental interludes added layers of complexity that drew me in.  Even though I'm not a fan of prolonged dissonances, their music never grated on that sensibility.  Even unresolved tonal clusters seemed perfectly fine when they did it.  I know almost nothing about progressive, punk or rap.  I'm pretty old and haven't kept up as I should have.....

by luckylizard on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 06:49:09 AM PDT

•  Mrs. Translator has always loved (2+ / 0-)
            G2geek, luckylizard

BS&T.  I was never a big fan, but they were OK.  I am not a brass fan, so that may be part of the explanation.  She loves brass.  That is why I also was never a big Chicago fan, either, but Does Anyone Really Know What Time it Is? is appealing on a physics level, because, frankly, no one does.

Now, fans of The Who will point out that French horn was often used, especially in their older work.  Whilst it is brass, it is much more subtle than a trombone or a trumpet, and Enwistle himself was the one to blow it.

Do you remember the Folger's coffee commercials with Clayton-Thomas singing "The best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup?".  That was well past BS&T's heyday.

Warmest regards,

Doc

Time for real health care reform, not just to patch the patches.

by Translator on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 09:10:35 PM PDT

•  Wow, that goes way back! (2+ / 0-)
              G2geek, Translator

I do remember those commercials, but they're stored way back in the musty archives.  I never liked what everyone else did, at least not when they liked it.  I never liked MASH the first time around, but watched reruns of it forever.  Didn't much like The Who but did like The Guess Who.  I hadn't thought about Chicago but I do like a lot of their stuff.  I hate to admit it but I also like the Statler Brothers.  The harmonies were just so damned tight, and I'm a sucker for a booming bass!

You're right about the french horn vs. other brass.  It's like comparing a violin to a cello.  The violin insists on your attention but the cello seduces you.  But then, I've never been a fan of sopranos or tenors, either.  I have to be careful of that particular opinion when I'm working with my choir, though. :-)  My most powerful voice is a soprano who is not always amenable to suggestion.  She told this riddle:

Q.  What's the difference between a soprano and a terrorist?

A.  You can negotiate with a terrorist.

I don't think she really sees herself this way, but that view is not universal in our little world...

by luckylizard on Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 12:06:04 AM PDT

•  The soprano joke is excellent! (1+ / 0-)
                luckylizard

Thanks for understanding my thoughts about brass.  The French horn is very subdued.

Warmest regards,

Doc

Time for real health care reform, not just to patch the patches.

by Translator on Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 08:13:58 PM PDT