View Diary: Chronic Tonic: Adventures in Chronic Pain (Stranded Wind) (214 comments)

•  Interesting and educational (15+ / 0-)

Cervical 5-6 problems.  Yup.

Shoulder (bilateral - and back, neck, side of head) pain?  Chronic?  Yup.

Whiplash, and the at-fault driver was not "faulted"?  Yup.

Chronic Lyme (and babesia), in the nerves, muscles and joints?  Yup.

Pain specialist epidurals?  Yup.

Looking into more non-mainstream medical treatments?  Yup.  Your practical info is great to add with my online research and upcoming chiropractic and acupuncture appointments.  Had physical therapy and periodically see a massage therapist, too.

Learning to self-help whenever possible?  Yup.

If my job wasn't at home on a computer and phone, I'd be unemployed.

Nice diary, thanks.

"So, please stay where you are. Don't move and don't panic. Don't take off your shoes! Jobs is on the way."

by wader on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 04:50:28 PM PDT

•  Hey Wader! (8+ / 0-)

Other than that, how's tricks?

Torture: An act... specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering upon another person within his custody or physical control.

by MsGrin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 04:54:14 PM PDT

•  Feels like mostly tricks, much of the time :) (10+ / 0-)

An idea here, something heard about there.  Open mind and all, but still highly critical before and during.

Back to Dr. Cameron this past week, for a new blood test and a decision to get on the IV.  Problem is, I'm allergic to the preferred antibiotic, so working with an allergist to see if we can build temporary resistance.

Family is doing well, fortunately - the kids are always a joyful challenge, and I definitely play too hard with them at times.  Hard to not live as you'd rather prefer, eh?  Old habits, constant hopes.

Just put the flag out front tonight.  It's a big-un, for some reason.  I feel like a Republican, showing off my patriotism by the size of my symbol.  Eh.

How are you?  Thanks for your recent email - my doc is a pretty reasonable listener and will spend the time you desire with him.  Which can make you wait for awhile after arriving at the office, but the end result is always progressive.

by wader on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 05:04:04 PM PDT

•  Very cool to hear so much is good (10+ / 0-)

No, it's not Repug-like to put out a flag... our country is moving back in the direction of democratic values after such a long time wandering in the desert...

I'm beginning to notice feeling less bad, which is great.  Fewer times a day when I stand up and have to just stand still or go put my head down because of the dizzy spells.  Looking at the time, I see I've forgotten my last dose of one of my meds... hang on...  Ok, I'm back.  We added cholestyramine to my mix, which helps get out toxins and I'm hoping will reduce the herxing if it can also get out dead spirochetes (I've never heard of Lyme folks using it that way, but it would be a nice side effect for me...)

It's hot.  Too damn hot, but I'll bitch about it less over the coming weeks as I get more used to it.  The living without air conditioning thing really is not what I'd like - does not feel virtuous in the slightest even if my carbon footprint is smaller.  Grrr.  (Man, do I hate complaining, but I'm sooooooo good at it!)

Upside is that I'm getting closer to doing another appeal on my secondary disability insurance now that i finally have more things documented (like that my illness is caused by bacteria and that I'm not actually depressed, so you can't chalk my fatigue up to that...not sure I've got enough to go up against their attorneys, but I'll give it all I got...

by MsGrin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 05:11:59 PM PDT

•  Much hope for your secondary insurance to come (9+ / 0-)

through.  I know how demeaning and disabling it can feel, this uncertainty if you can actually afford to get better - or, even try things to see what may help.

My dizzyness hit hard this week, suddenly.  Came with two days of >8 level pain late last week, and a brief steroid prescription + some biaxin for what I could determine was another non-specific sinus infection have helped, for now.  Gosh, that kind of pain and where it was located actually got to me.  It was scary, entirely disabling and depressing pain.  I'm used to tolerating a lot of pain, but this went far beyond my abilities to self-treat.

Heat actually helps the muscle pains, but cold helps the nerve pain for me.  Still, yeah: there's nothing like central air/climate control and I'm sorry to hear of your added environmental discomfort.  A wall unit isn't in the cards?

by wader on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 05:28:51 PM PDT

•  So sorry to hear about the pain. (7+ / 0-)

I've been through a lot, but God seems to understand that pain is OVER the threshhold of what I will tolerate.  I simply won't do it.  If I am intended to stay around, the pain has to stay away.  Period.  It's totally non-negotiable.

There's central air where I am, it's just that last summer, it cost $175/mo to keep the place at a cool 86.  It's not doable this summer.  My first summer here I did without air, too.  I did ok.  I just grump about it a lot.  Soon, winter will be here and I'll be far too cold (not because it gets overwhelmingly cold here, just because the Reynauld's has me chilled at levels others would find comfy, like the low 60s). I have extra med expenses this month to work in the legal issue, so extra expenses just aren't in the cards.  I'll be ok, I'm just noisy.  I keep reminding myself that until just a few decades ago, NO ONE HAD IT and they all made it this far.

by MsGrin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 05:49:32 PM PDT

•  see my comment on mirror boxes eom (5+ / 0-)

"Imagine better than the best you know." Neville Goddard.

by boatsie on Thu Jul 02, 2009 at 06:11:59 PM PDT