View Diary: Argentina added to trade mission at Sanford's request (165 comments)

•  He's done (7+ / 0-)

Why drag it out?  I never understand that.  TAKE THE HIT and go.

•  When his wife threw him under the bus (10+ / 0-)

I thought it would be unlikely--if not impossible--for him to stay in office.

minx 1952. You do the math.

by chicago minx on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:10:45 AM PDT

•  It feeds (5+ / 0-)
      SadEagle, testvet6778, fou, dotalbon, Amber6541

their martyr complex. It gives them an opportunity to say "Look at how the media tortured that poor man!" when it could have immediately ended with his resignation. That's how McGreevey and Spitzer did it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix -6.0 -5.33

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:11:06 AM PDT

•  Yeah (2+ / 0-)
        SadEagle, dotalbon

It's funny, I don't get that vibe from Sanford, though.  I actually came out of this whole affair kind of liking him.  He doesn't seem smarmy in his beliefs, just really, really immature.  Those love letters are so sincere and naive.  You (I, at least) kind of feel for him.  Which is why I want to scream in his ear: go away and get some privacy, man!  Or, better yet, go be with this woman you actually love!  Quit the bible groups and get yourself some professional therapy!  His whole family would be better off...

•  Oh please (7+ / 0-)

He may actually love the woman in Argentina, but that doesn't excuse his behavior here.

The man used his office to further his illicit affair going so far as to add a side trip to Argentina to see her even though SC had no business pending.

Sanford is trying to save his career and keep from being impeached. If the man had an ounce of integrity he would have resigned already.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:20:43 AM PDT

•  I don't disagree with any of that (2+ / 0-)
            Cali Techie, dotalbon

I'm just saying I kind of feel for the guy.  So sue me.

•  I don't (6+ / 0-)
              SadEagle, vcmvo2, fou, Amber6541, blage, incognita

He put himself in this mess and kept digging when he should have stopped. This wasn't something that just happened to him and he was an innocent bystandar. He chose this. He chose to have the affair. He chose to use state money and his power as governor in support of that affair, and he chose to continue it even after his wife found out about it. He wasn't going to say a word to anyone and would have kept lying had the e-mails not been brought to light. In other words he was willing to keep up the charade for as long as he could get away with it.

He brought it all on himself and therefore deserves no pity. Not saying you shouldn't, just saying he doesn't deserve it.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:34:54 AM PDT

•  I'm in between. (1+ / 0-)
                Cali Techie

I can empathize with the fact that he fell in love.  Beyond that he deserves no pity.

Blagojevich/Palin '12.

by fou on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:38:11 AM PDT

•  You say love: I say lust. (2+ / 0-)
                  vcmvo2, fou

Tomato, tomahto.

Indict, convict, imprison. "Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:51:32 AM PDT

•  I'll believe love (1+ / 0-)
                    Amber6541

No one disappears for 4 days and flies to Argentina for some nookie. He can get that without going through that kind of trouble and risk to his career.

I think he loves her, probably more than she loves him.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:00:05 AM PDT

•  I disagree. He is a 49 year old man in (1+ / 0-)
                      vcmvo2

mid-life crisis.  He is having this love affair over the tubez.  If he had spent time with this woman in a normal relationship for 8 years, I doubt he would be writing this smarmy prose to her.  3 trips to have some illicit sex is not what love is.  But it sure is the definition of lust.

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:04:25 AM PDT

•  You can disagree. (1+ / 0-)
                        Amber6541

I still say people don't take those kinds of risks for nookie. He could have gotten that a lot closer to home midlife crisis or not. I'll point out most men who go through midlife crisis buy convertibles or motorcycles. Some will cheat on their wives, but few risk their careers in such a big way.

I'm a veteran of a couple of long distance relationships. It becomes pretty clear they're not tenable unless you really care about the other person. The last one I had lasted only a couple of months after we both realized while we both really, really liked each other and the sex was fantastic (I still think about that), it wasn't worth the $400 round trip airfare once or twice a month to spend a weekend with each other.

Sanford was involved with this woman romantically for at least a year and knew her for a while before that, which means he met her while he was in Congress. I suspect the affair started before he became governor.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:12:46 AM PDT

•  I'll add (1+ / 0-)
                        Amber6541

lust and love are not mutually exclusive. Romantic love involves large amounts of both.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:13:35 AM PDT

•  I'm going to wait for the sequel. (0+ / 0-)

If Jenny is really serious and throws him out and he runs off to Buenos Aires and marries this chick, then I will humbly apologize to you.  But, I have lived a long, long time and seen this play out time and time again.  And maybe Maria has been playing him along, too. After all, she is boinking some young guy in BA, along with Sanford. Of course, most of the world is not as puritanical as we are. This story is not finished.
                          I also know a guy who ran off with a woman he met on the tubez.  It lasted about a year and he was back in Boston begging his wife to take him back.  She refused.  He and I belonged to a support group and he used to come to our socials and cry about his sad story.  No sympathy there from us women, who were the majority of the group lol.

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:47:36 AM PDT

•  I doubt that will be the outcome (2+ / 0-)
                            ebohlman, incognita

My guess is he loved her more than she loved him. Here we conflate sex and love, where in other cultures the two are related but the presence of one doesn't necessarily mean the other is present, or as my father told me (this was the entire birds and bees conversation, BTW): "You can have sex without love and love without sex."

It probably meant less to her than it did to him.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:52:50 AM PDT

•  Exactly! A sexually, repressed crypto- (1+ / 0-)
                            Cali Techie

Christian guy.  Dad got it right, even if it only took one sentence.  roflmfao.

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 12:40:51 PM PDT

•  yeah, that's it (1+ / 0-)
                        murrayewv

the "love" here is based on occasional encounters in which the woman never has to ask him to unplug the toilet or do a dish or whatever.  The "love" is in some idealized world ("I met you at the outdoor dance in uruguay or wherever") and would probably fall to pieces (or at least change very drastically) if they had to deal with each other on a day-to-day basis.

•  agreed in this respect (4+ / 0-)

I don't get the smarmy vibe either. I agree with that. I still get a definite "I'm better than y'all" vibe, though. This guy really has the ego thing goin' IMO.

A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.' Douglas Adams

by dougymi on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:22:19 AM PDT

•  I'm sure you're right (5+ / 0-)

I'm only catching him at a moment when his ego has taken a massive hit.  But you don't get to that position, especially with those horrid politics, without a massive ego.

•  I dunno (6+ / 0-)

I think it's pretty damn smarmy to keep up an illicit affair after your spouse finds out about it and tells you to end it. It's pretty damn smarmy to abandon your children on a weekend designated for them to spend time with you in your honor. I think it's pretty damn smarmy to lie to your spouse and say you're camping in the Appalachians when you're really going to Argentina to see your mistress.  I think it's pretty damn smarmy to abandon your job for five days without saying a word to anyone causing a great deal of concern. I think it's pretty damn smarmy to cry in front of reporters when you know you're lying to them.

Sanford has smarmy spread all over him like peanut butter on a slice of Wonder bread.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:47:58 AM PDT

•  no doubt he's smarmy as hell... (0+ / 0-)

I just didn't get the vibe at the presser. I  did get an ego vibe, both watching that and with his subsequent statements about biblical precedent for staying in office.  He definitely thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

by dougymi on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 12:03:29 PM PDT

•  Great comment! (0+ / 0-)

But this, well this just describes Sanford so well (LOL)

Well done!

~Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.~John F. Kennedy

by vcmvo2 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 05:59:15 PM PDT

•  If roles were reversed and you were (6+ / 0-)

the guy having an affair, using gov funds to see your mistress, running off on your boys on father's day, I guaran-damn-tee it that Sandford would not have any sympathy for you.  He would preach to you about the sanctity of marriage and call you sinner and demand your resignation and try to throw you in jail and make you pay the money back with interest.  That is the problem with the Mark Sanfords of the world.  Do not feel sorry for them, they would spare you no pity.

•  And it's a week's salary. (1+ / 0-)
        incognita

His wife was the incredibly rich one.

Gov. Sanford is hiking the Appalachian Trail, and Franco is home nursing a head cold.

by Inland on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:49:44 AM PDT

•  he's going to tough it out as long as he can (3+ / 0-)
      vcmvo2, OleHippieChick, dotalbon

It may take a "george hw bush note to nixon" type of thing to get him to resign. Some close confidant to go and tell him that it's time to go. Someone that narcissistic thinks they're too big to fail. The jeffery skilling type of guy who thinks they're the smartest guy in the room. He'll be able to fix it, donchaknow, and everyone will come around and see his obvious superiority. Plus he's had a lot of publicans and rush limbaugh types reinforce his natural sense of superiority. As for the sinning, he's already been forgiven for that. Jeebus forgives!!! and that's good enough for anyone.

I don't believe he's going to go easily.

by dougymi on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:18:23 AM PDT