View Diary: Argentina added to trade mission at Sanford's request (165 comments)

•  I don't (6+ / 0-)
    SadEagle, vcmvo2, fou, Amber6541, blage, incognita

He put himself in this mess and kept digging when he should have stopped. This wasn't something that just happened to him and he was an innocent bystandar. He chose this. He chose to have the affair. He chose to use state money and his power as governor in support of that affair, and he chose to continue it even after his wife found out about it. He wasn't going to say a word to anyone and would have kept lying had the e-mails not been brought to light. In other words he was willing to keep up the charade for as long as he could get away with it.

He brought it all on himself and therefore deserves no pity. Not saying you shouldn't, just saying he doesn't deserve it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix -6.0 -5.33

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:34:54 AM PDT

•  I'm in between. (1+ / 0-)
      Cali Techie

I can empathize with the fact that he fell in love.  Beyond that he deserves no pity.

Blagojevich/Palin '12.

by fou on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:38:11 AM PDT

•  You say love: I say lust. (2+ / 0-)
        vcmvo2, fou

Tomato, tomahto.

Indict, convict, imprison. "Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 10:51:32 AM PDT

•  I'll believe love (1+ / 0-)
          Amber6541

No one disappears for 4 days and flies to Argentina for some nookie. He can get that without going through that kind of trouble and risk to his career.

I think he loves her, probably more than she loves him.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:00:05 AM PDT

•  I disagree. He is a 49 year old man in (1+ / 0-)
            vcmvo2

mid-life crisis.  He is having this love affair over the tubez.  If he had spent time with this woman in a normal relationship for 8 years, I doubt he would be writing this smarmy prose to her.  3 trips to have some illicit sex is not what love is.  But it sure is the definition of lust.

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:04:25 AM PDT

•  You can disagree. (1+ / 0-)
              Amber6541

I still say people don't take those kinds of risks for nookie. He could have gotten that a lot closer to home midlife crisis or not. I'll point out most men who go through midlife crisis buy convertibles or motorcycles. Some will cheat on their wives, but few risk their careers in such a big way.

I'm a veteran of a couple of long distance relationships. It becomes pretty clear they're not tenable unless you really care about the other person. The last one I had lasted only a couple of months after we both realized while we both really, really liked each other and the sex was fantastic (I still think about that), it wasn't worth the $400 round trip airfare once or twice a month to spend a weekend with each other.

Sanford was involved with this woman romantically for at least a year and knew her for a while before that, which means he met her while he was in Congress. I suspect the affair started before he became governor.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:12:46 AM PDT

•  I'll add (1+ / 0-)
              Amber6541

lust and love are not mutually exclusive. Romantic love involves large amounts of both.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:13:35 AM PDT

•  I'm going to wait for the sequel. (0+ / 0-)

If Jenny is really serious and throws him out and he runs off to Buenos Aires and marries this chick, then I will humbly apologize to you.  But, I have lived a long, long time and seen this play out time and time again.  And maybe Maria has been playing him along, too. After all, she is boinking some young guy in BA, along with Sanford. Of course, most of the world is not as puritanical as we are. This story is not finished.
                I also know a guy who ran off with a woman he met on the tubez.  It lasted about a year and he was back in Boston begging his wife to take him back.  She refused.  He and I belonged to a support group and he used to come to our socials and cry about his sad story.  No sympathy there from us women, who were the majority of the group lol.

by incognita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:47:36 AM PDT

•  I doubt that will be the outcome (2+ / 0-)
                  ebohlman, incognita

My guess is he loved her more than she loved him. Here we conflate sex and love, where in other cultures the two are related but the presence of one doesn't necessarily mean the other is present, or as my father told me (this was the entire birds and bees conversation, BTW): "You can have sex without love and love without sex."

It probably meant less to her than it did to him.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:52:50 AM PDT

•  yeah, that's it (1+ / 0-)
              murrayewv

the "love" here is based on occasional encounters in which the woman never has to ask him to unplug the toilet or do a dish or whatever.  The "love" is in some idealized world ("I met you at the outdoor dance in uruguay or wherever") and would probably fall to pieces (or at least change very drastically) if they had to deal with each other on a day-to-day basis.