View Diary: Walter Cronkite: Deathbed. (262 comments)

•  Oh please, this doesn't have to be a (5+ / 0-)

Jackson vs. Cronkite thing. Have more class than that. And I don't think you can say conclusively that one affected more lives than the other.

This user is currently hiking the Appalachian Trail with her Bar Exam study materials
    :o)

by Muzikal203 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 03:45:30 PM PDT

•  I agree it can't be one vs. the other. However, (2+ / 0-)
      mijita, greeseyparrot

Cronkite certainly had an enormous impact on helping end the Vietnam War---which may have saved thousands of lives.

"You know, my wife is so dumb, she is always asking me questions I can't answer."--James Inhofe

by Phil S 33 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 03:52:31 PM PDT

•  And? Jackson helped feed the hungry in Africa (4+ / 0-)

and start Live AID. They both did a lot to save lives.

:o)

by Muzikal203 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 03:54:02 PM PDT

•  Good point, Muzikal..... (1+ / 0-)
          greeseyparrot

by Phil S 33 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 03:58:39 PM PDT

•  Cronkite was singular (3+ / 0-)
          mijita, Phil S 33, Lashe

Jackson wasn't. I'm an ex newspaper journalist, an ex TV columnist and mostly an ex popular music journalist. I have written that Jackson should have been Time "Man of the Year" in 1983, and would rank him in several categories at the highest of levels - with Sinatra, Crosby, Elvis and The BEatles in terms of audience impact; with the most exciting individual performes imagineable.

I admire the humanitarian work described (although if he was involved in Livge-Aid, it didn't extend to performing there; I think you mean USA for Africa).

Also, he might now in death become dovetail with health care reform to finally do something about prescription drug fatalities etc. Neither Elvis, Judy G, Hank W or Howard Hughes had this effect.

But Cronkite is like 20-30 percent of broadcast news history. I'd rank him ahead of Murrow and place the others behind them. That, though I was always an NBC Nightly News guy.

Have you heard? The vice president's gone mad. - Bob Dylan, 1966

by textus on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 05:01:30 PM PDT

•  Agree with 95% of what you said---though (1+ / 0-)
            Lashe

without Murrow, Cronkite would never have become who he was.  Walter grew up as a UPI newsman---and Murrow brought him into the CBS fold.

by Phil S 33 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 05:37:01 PM PDT

•  Cronkite would have left UPI either way (0+ / 0-)

Fuckers literally expected their Kremlin correspondent to travel by bicycle.

But in general, he came along later than the other "Murrow's Boys" of WW2. If Murrow hadn't hired him, someone else would have.

Have you heard? The vice president's gone mad. - Bob Dylan, 1966

by textus on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 11:43:31 PM PDT

•  I guess. (2+ / 0-)
        MsMadrigal, Muzikal203

It might've worked out that way if HHH had won in '68.  But Nixon won and the war went on for four more years (ahem).  He certainly did his part, though.

The '60s were simply an attempt to get the 21st Century started early....Well, what are we waiting for? There's no deadline on a dream!

by Panurge on Sat Jun 27, 2009 at 04:48:49 PM PDT