View Diary: CBS Jumps a Whale Shark (140 comments)

•  Hi! (37+ / 0-)

My Name's Decan McCullagh, you might remember me from such famous articles as "Haha! Al Gore says he invented the Internet," "Other People's Money," or 'Libertarianism, the best way to go or the Only way to go?'

•  So, let me get this right (5+ / 0-)

you are saying that we shouldn't weigh equally the random utterances of any nutjob who opens his mouth with the vast number of peer reviewed scientific findings in the name of "balance".  Huh.  Interesting comment.

This could be a worthwhile idea.  Imagine if it applied to all political discourse as well.  Imagine if the news organizations actually provided the added value of investigating competing claims rather than just presenting them in the name of this "balance".  It would put the blogosphere out of work!

And it won't happen.

If I were buying stock in media, it would be in dKos, Huff Po, etc.  and I'd be selling short on everything from CBS to Fox to the WaPo.  Unfortunately, we all know full well that Kos and others have no intention of going public as that would be suicide as it would force them to become like the parasites they are replacing.

"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them..." Amen.

by nsfbr on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 07:21:50 AM PDT

•  The other side to that, however, is that you (3+ / 0-)
        DeminNewJ, nsfbr, polar bear

should not ignore good science that you don't like.

That includes NOAA findings that actual reductions in the level of atmospheric CO2 will lag reductions in CO2 emissions by a very long time, meaning that environmentally significant improvement will take hundreds of years without a process of active CO2 removal.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 07:50:04 AM PDT

•  I wouldn't ignore that (1+ / 0-)
          polar bear

as it agrees with just about any system of this type.  Moreover, atmospheric CO2 will increase after we start warming regardless of the emissions.  We have the saturated oceans' and Henry's law to thank for that.

by nsfbr on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 08:13:57 AM PDT

•  It's why 50 year plans don't excite me much, (2+ / 0-)
            dewley notid, nsfbr

especially those that don't involve some realistic reason for emerging nations to play along.

If you believe the science, there's not a lot of time to get moving in serious (and expensive) ways.

If you think there's time, then you don't believe the science.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 09:02:33 AM PDT

•  You know, I've gotten to the age (1+ / 0-)
              dinotrac

where I'm really sad for my children, and heartbroken for my yet to be born grandchildren.  Best case scenario is that our planet is going to suck in a hundred years.  The only real question is whether that will last for next thousand, ten thousand or just another hundred or so.

by nsfbr on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 12:54:09 PM PDT

•  I disagree only on the best case scenario, (0+ / 0-)

because you really never know what tomorrow will bring -- whether technology, a new global resolve.  Hell, I'd settle for a big asteroid providing shade long enough to let the CO2 go down.

But, if we're talking about the most likely scenarios, yeah. It's going to suck out loud.

I'm glad my kids are concerned about it.  I'm glad they care about recycling and all that.  I might even be glad that they can't quite grasp the scope of it.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 02:31:18 PM PDT

•  Thanks, Mack! (0+ / 0-)

You're a peach in a welter of weeds! A ripe, ruby-red watermelon on a hot day!

Now who's that frakkin' reporter, and does he still have a job at CBS?

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win. -Mohandas K. Gandhi

by ezdidit on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 09:34:57 AM PDT