View Diary: Living With Autism/Aspergers w/FAQ (174 comments)

•  lol, makes me laugh at myself (4+ / 0-)

not diagnosed but I'm in the mix. My biggest struggles are with executive function and relating to others. I finally found WrongPlanet about two years ago and everything about me started to make sense. I don't do the rocking or the rote memorization but I do make the voluntary repetitive gestures and sounds, I look away at handshakes unless I really focus. Writing paper for grad schools has been a huge struggle due to problems with maintaining focus. I usually get around this by intuitive leaps but sometimes peoople want you to "show the work". I have great friendships because I've worked hard at it. I would say I feel all the emotions a neurotypical feels, just not in real time. No ability with music though. I think in 20 years or so they will tease out quite a few different types of Aspergers and Autism.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? No! Its not over till we say its over.

by Elvis meets Nixon on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 06:37:52 AM PDT

•  I think the trend is more towards consolidation (6+ / 0-)

than further segmentation. Seems like Aspies and hf Auties and PDDNOSs are being lumped into just ASD, which in my view is appropriate. It's all one condition with many faces. The rest is just labelling.

"crush in it's birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government" -Thomas Jefferson

by Phil In Denver on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 06:41:14 AM PDT

•  It really isn't the same though.... (6+ / 0-)

The thing is, it's a cluster of related symptoms.  But the treatment or help we need depends critically on which symptoms we have.  And some symptoms can be missing entirely, not just present in differing amounts; for instance, I'm absolutely dreadful at rote memorization, hate it.

-5.63, -8.10. Learn about Duverger's Law.

by neroden on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 07:10:48 AM PDT

•  this is what I was trying to say (5+ / 0-)

I was a flighty dreamy kid who consistently underperformed on exams (still do) but could talk to adults about books like Gulag Archipelago that I was reading as a young teen.

by Elvis meets Nixon on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 07:35:18 AM PDT

•  Hmm... (0+ / 0-)

...is this considered weird? Or non-NT? 'Cause I totally did this kind of thing and it was chalked up to being "smart, but daydreamy."

•  I think it's a mistake... (0+ / 0-)

... to call any kid who's not NT an ASD. Because that would be pathologizing human differences... no to mention sending a very hopeless message about harmony and working as a team. Harmony is not everybody thinking and feeling alike, but of putting their individual selves together to form a common project.

The problem is, they're got neuro studies to back them up. Many studies have shown that rapport comes from similarity. The official portrait of the NT elevates to high virtue the staying within the bounds of human nature and not trying to make better choices than instinct allows.

To which I say, in my non-NT but still-not-ASD way: "Why does it have to be that way?"

Real Democrats don't abandon the middle class. --John Kerry

by Lucy Montrose on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 08:38:40 AM PDT

•  It's really interesting to see the variations (3+ / 0-)

I do the rocking and the voluntary repetitive gestures.  But I'm dreadful with rote memorization, really awful; even though I do have the same tendency to want to do it, my actual ability to is much worse than typical.

-5.63, -8.10. Learn about Duverger's Law.

by neroden on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 07:09:09 AM PDT

•  my memorization ability its on its own (4+ / 0-)

I remember (automatically) pointless things, obscure details, never any thing I really need and never as part of a system. I think that points to the underlying challenge of my life and that is difficulty in seeing how things relate to each other. I do have what I think of as a "random-connection-generator" which allows for intuitive leaps that helps me compensate.

by Elvis meets Nixon on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 07:31:39 AM PDT

•  "random connection generator" - yes! (5+ / 0-)

I have a touch of that (ability to string seemingly trivial bits of information together to create a cohesive whole or a connection that forms a pattern, or at least part of one); however I am lucky enough that I'm also able to then apply it to the bigger picture.

This used to drive my teachers nuts, because it allowed me to B.S. my way through assignments and appear as if I'd put some real work into something, when in fact it was two random synapses firing and I just happened to be able to put them together fairly quickly in a way that didn't stretch credibility too much. What I was really doing was compensating for my perfectionism and procrastination.

•  Oh, I've got that! (4+ / 0-)

My brain does systematize, but that's unrelated.... I seem to be able to keep generalizations but not the details which led to them.  :-P

-5.63, -8.10. Learn about Duverger's Law.

by neroden on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 07:55:11 AM PDT

•  I can pick up the oddest trivia and keep it (3+ / 0-)

in my head forever, but heaven forbid anyone hand me a piece of paper and say "memorize this".

Hoping and praying that the empty chairs and empty tables in Iran when all is said and done are as few as possible.

by Cassandra Waites on Tue Jul 28, 2009 at 08:22:25 AM PDT

• Science (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Education (17)
  • Elections (16)
  • Marriage Equality (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (16)
  • Economy (15)
  • Republicans (14)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Racism (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site