View Diary: Green Diary Rescue & Open Thread: DK GreenRoots (62 comments)

•  If you are talking to me, PDNC, (5+ / 0-)

then no I am not.

But sitting here pondering on my back porch I was trying to think of a way that I could make a small difference in my own back yard and I came upon this:

How about if DK GreenRoots had a website that we could all go to download different media, such as fliers or DVD's,  whatever we think we need to do to include as well as educate our neighbors as well as our constituents.

Well, it is one small thing I thought of as I listened to my neighbors sprinklers kick on, just after we have had a good rain.

You are an inspiration, all of you are.

pb

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

by panicbean on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:14:38 PM PDT

•  i think that's great idea (5+ / 0-)

one of the purposes of DK GreenRoots is to provide a forum where we can discuss ideas like yours, and implement them.

one problem is what you identified, many don't know what they can do. if we can provide a flyer that people can download from online AND perhaps also distribute in our local communities, ...well, as obama says, change starts one person at a time. :)

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed. Mohandas K. Gandhi

by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:22:15 PM PDT

•  Any small way that I can contibute means (2+ / 0-)

the world to me, literally.  My neighbors sprinklers go off on a timer system, regardless if we have had rain or not.  My question is, why?

Granted we have wells of our own, but they link to the underground aquifer in Florida, and there will come a day when the water will no longer we there.

I prefer that day not be while I am walking, living, and breathing.

Keep me updated on your progress, PDNC.  You, all of you, are the ones who are going to change our world.  One small step at a time.

Be well.

pb

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

by panicbean on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:30:59 PM PDT

•  PDNC are you planning on making this a part of (2+ / 0-)

NN09?
        It is the reason I am coming over.
        In my mind at least, I have cleared the decks because the push needs to start now to get Hopenhagen over the line with as much substance and grassroots support as possible.
        So for me, nothing else matters for the next 6 months, possibly year.

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

by Unenergy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:52:07 PM PDT

•  climate change already on agenda for nno9 (2+ / 0-)
          panicbean, Unenergy

A Warming Web: The Blogosphere and Climate Change
          Date TBD

Global warming blogging is red hot: The Senate is debating climate change legislation. The Obama administration is pouring billions of dollars into clean energy and green jobs. Countries are maneuvering for position in this December's crucial international climate treaty conference. And nearly every week scientists are revealing how global warming is changing the conditions of life on Earth -- and how much worse conditions may become if we don't slash our greenhouse gas pollution. At this panel, some of the top bloggers covering environmental politics and climate science will talk about what they do, how they do it, and why it's more important now than ever before.
          PANELISTS: EmilyGertz , Gavin Schmidt, Kate Sheppard, David Roberts, Tim Lange

and another related panel:

Science Denial and Science Policy
          Date TBD

Science is increasingly vital to policymaking, but denial of basic aspects of science is increasingly well-organized, holding back science-based policies. Whether it's creationism attacking state and local education policy, global warming denial distracting attention from the need for effective solutions, or anti-vaccine activism undermining vital public health programs, the public's misunderstanding about science have dire consequences for society. Non-scientists and scientists alike are joining to defend science and to clear the ground for science-based policies. This panel of scientists and scientific policymakers will discuss ways that the general public can ensure that their government is informed by honest science.
          PANELISTS: Joshua Rosenau, Bryan Rehm, Michael Stebbins, Joseph Romm, Mark Sumner, Susan Wood

by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse on Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 12:08:28 AM PDT

•  Solution based discussion may be something I can (2+ / 0-)

help with.
            As I said, I know enough to say unequivocally we have a genuine problem with respect to the damage our dependence on fossil fuels for energy causes not just environmentally, politically, economically and militarily, but it boils right down to how we value people and treat each other.
            All this has to change.

If we have better ways (read sustainable ways)to do the things which keep us in jobs, economies operating, energy being produced, then we need to not only get the ideas out there, but find a way to get people to rally behind them.

I have an idea how.....

by Unenergy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 12:19:50 AM PDT

•  "how we value people and treat each other" (2+ / 0-)
              panicbean, Unenergy

and sustainability for future generations is really key.

so, what's with the cliff hanger? :)

Will you be writing diary? creating a working group over at DK GreenRoots?

by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse on Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 12:34:55 AM PDT

•  A little bit of the diary writing and possibly (2+ / 0-)

now that you have launched this Greenroots inititiave, I will think about a working group.

But I have been working with my neighbour on something with enormous potential which may help achieve good things.

Its pretty exciting and hopefully this will rub off on a few other people if they can understand what potential it has.
                But I have to keep quiet for the time being.
                Will be writing more later in the month after we have tested the platform a little longer.

by Unenergy on Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 12:42:41 AM PDT