View Diary: A President Breaks Hearts in Appalachia (245 comments)

•  I will disagree some (17+ / 0-)

I think of the image of the ship of state being like a giant oil tanker, whose momentum is such it takes a long time to being to turn, but once the turn begins that same momentum causes an acceleration of the process

We are all frustrated because we are impatient, we know how on this and other issues the clock moves forward inexorably and we want to see immediate differences.

We are seeing SOME differences.  It is a start.  But we should neither be satisfied with the so-far small changes nor despair at their miniscule nature.  We should keep demanding for what is right, for what we voted and on behalf of which labored for the election of Obama and more congressional democrats.

do we still have a Republic and a Constitution if our elected officials will not stand up for them on our behalf?

by teacherken on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 04:16:12 AM PDT

•  Ship of state (22+ / 0-)

Yes, it does take time for the big ship to turn around, but in order for it to turn around orders must be given from the bridge, and I just haven't seen much of that. Tim DeChristopher, who heroically acted to stop an illegal & immoral rushed sale by the outgoing Bush administration of oil & gas leases on the outskirts of Arches & Canyonlands Nat'l Park in Utah, is being vigorously prosecuted by the Obama Justice Dept.
      Ken Salazar was a very lousy choice to head Interior. Obama's Treasury Dept. is being run by the same Goldman-Sachs gang who steered our economy into the toilet.
      Obama could stop Don't Ask Don't Tell with the stroke of a pen. And mountaintop removal mining.

"Meet the new boss / same as the old boss" -Pete Townsend, 1971

by DFH on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 04:34:37 AM PDT

•  Ship of state = Too Titanic To Fail (2+ / 0-)
        David R, ER Doc

except it failed, nice captaining.

And now Obama's trying to pull it up by the smokestacks.  First class above water?  His boat is floated enough.

I know, fairytale.  Unicorns and icebergs.

•  That's the point... (13+ / 0-)

I'm not complaining that it's not turning fast enough, I'm complaining that the orders from Captain Obama on the bridge are "Turn Right" (or starboard) and the charts plotting a left turn have either been left locked up in the chart cabinet or thrown overboard.

•  That's what's killing me about this administratio (7+ / 0-)

This administration is not just going slowly and cautiously- navigating the murky waters of bi-partisanship and Congressional gridlock- Ha!! They are actively working against progressive causes, actively bombing innocent civilians and escalating an illegal, unwinnable war, actively placing foxes as guards of our chicken coops, actively  perpetuating the corporate agenda - across the board, folks. These people are even taking the opportunity to use a once-in-a-lifetime shot at appointing a supreme court justice, to move it to the right! on corporate/government enabling.
          I'd like a strong progressive caucus in Congress to start telling him he is fighting for the wrong side.

•  Please don't get me started on that SCOTUS pick.. (7+ / 0-)

I'm not thrilled about her possible "corporatist" leanings, but I am absolutely aghast at the fact that she was a longtime prosecutor.

As we are seeing the SC move - not to the right, but to the insane tyrannical fringe - on issues involving police searches, the right to counsel, habeas corpus, the death penalty, DNA testing rights, and the entire spectrum of issues affecting prisoners and simply the accused, President Obama has to nominate a fucking prosecutor?????????

WTF, this is disgusting. The situation in this country with the erosion of the rights of the accused and with the overreaching of law enforcement is becoming among the worst in the industrialized world.

Of course, it does relate to the corporatist ass-kissing of this president and this congress; the "Prison-Industrial Complex" is every bit as powerful a lobby as the "Military-Industrial Complex" and the "Medical-Industrial Complex", two other complexes that appear to be among this government's favorite bestest-in-the-whole-wide-world friends.

Damn.

•  And this is a surprise? (0+ / 0-)

Seriously, were you paying attention during the primary?

This site went crazy for Obama during the primaries. He was hailed as some sort of progressive messiah complete with artwork depicting him as some sort of demigod even though there were clear signs he wasn't nearly as progressive as people thought he was.

It's too late for buyer's remorse folks. We got what we wanted, too bad it's not what we need.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. -Jimi Hendrix -6.0 -5.33

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 08:22:39 AM PDT

•  Which is why if I'm the DNC (1+ / 0-)
              h bridges

or any other Democrat leaning organization leaders  (labor, etc) that railroaded Obama in over Clinton, I'd be feeling very sheepish, worried and pissed right now for agreeing to this. Clinton supporters were absolutely railroaded and bullied by our "we know best" progressive leaders into throwing support behind Obama. I'll never forget it and neither will millions of other women and progressives as we watch this unravel before our stupefied eyes. The Obama faction COURTED the left with sweet talk while they BULLIED Clinton convention voters. He courted the left- that makes him a double-crosser in my book. I don't want to hear that we should have known better. Who did our dear party leaders shove down our throats? THEY should have known better. Obama should not have even been given the nomination without a full, earnest accounting of delegates. He courted the left and obviously lied while doing it. So don't blame voters- we have to take who we're given. I'm pissed about it and will remember this in 2012. I'm staying home if no one stands up out of the Democrat field and challenges this farce.

•  Clinton isn't any better (1+ / 0-)
                sebastianguy99

She's more of the same. The only difference is she isn't a man.

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 08:54:05 AM PDT

•  but Obama was supposed to be BETTER (1+ / 0-)
                  spider webs unite

not the same.  That was the point of the message above.

Why did so many waste time getting Obama elected over Clinton?  It was as much a waste of time as mulling for days over whether you should buy Coca-Cola or Pepsi.

•  You're missing my point (0+ / 0-)

I considered them both to be about the same. Always have. Those who voted for Obama because they thought he would be better weren't paying attention to what he was doing throughout the primaries.

I personally know people who chose Obama over Clinton for only one reason, because they felt it was time to have a president of color. I think a lot of people assumed because he is a man of color he'd be more progressive because he's felt the sting of discrimination. I did too at first, but once I started watching him more closely I learned he wasn't really any different than any other politician.

I didn't like Hillary Clinton because she made a lot of promises to the LGBTIQQ community she had no intention of keeping. Obama didn't do that until he started running for president so he didn't have that baggage. The McClurkin flap showed just how tone deaf he is on LGBTIQQ issues, something that continues to this day. He gave plenty of other signs during the primaries and the general he wasn't the progressive a lot of his supporters thought he was.

I learned after voting twice for Bill Clinton that I needed to look at their actions before accepting their words.

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 11:02:28 AM PDT

•  And before anyone labels me as a disgruntled (0+ / 0-)

Clinton supporter- I voted for Obama in the primary because I was told by party leaders that Clinton was too moderate/right and Obama would be the hope of the party. I was not a Clinton supporter then (I would have preferred to vote for Edwards or Kucinich in the primary to make my point) nor am I saying that she would definitely be doing a better job so far. But hey, I think she would be doing a better job so far. If I was going to be stuck with Clinton policies -and worse, I'd rather it would have been Hilary Clinton herself. I really do believe a moderate/right woman would be standing up for progressive causes better than this moderate/right man is willing to put himself out to do.

•  Why didn't you vote (3+ / 0-)

for Edwards or Kucinich in the primaries? Was someone twisting your arm? Did you receive a threat? Did mind control aliens take over your body and force you to vote for Obama?

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:04:07 AM PDT

•  WV primary (3+ / 0-)
                    Cali Techie, dewley notid, h bridges

Edwards had bailed by then. Also, my alien partner did take control of my body. She drank the DNC/Obama Kool-aid and forced it down my throat on the way to the polling booth. I'm not proud of it.

•  I still voted for Kucinich (1+ / 0-)
                      dewley notid

even though he had bailed along with 19,000 other Californians as a message vote.

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:14:14 AM PDT

•  I do truly feel bad for caving. (1+ / 0-)
                        Cali Techie

I am really going to take all primaries more seriously from now on. It's the best tool we've got. Only Progressive Democrats-capital P,capital D need apply for this vote. Really. Even if they "can't win" in the general. Who knows? Maybe we can actually beat the angry/white/men party without having to vote for moderates (gate-keepers of the status quo.) Really, never again.

•  The primary is (0+ / 0-)

for voting your convictions. The general is more about pragmatism.

I think Kucinich had a chance against McCain personally.

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:52:45 AM PDT

•  I've gotten lazy about primaries. (1+ / 0-)
                            Cali Techie

WV politics has lulled me into not even attempting to unseat Byrd, Rockefeller or Rahall. I  pay more attention to local races and ignore federal level races because there is rarely anyone willing to seriously challenge in the Democratic party. There are always good third party choices but no serious Democratic party backed alternatives. Let's demand these candidates be put forward by the DNC to challenge obstructionist incumbents. I'm not calling anyone who is a Democrat a moderate anymore- call them what they are- obstructionists.

•  pragmatism was exactly why (0+ / 0-)

I didn't vote for Obama in the general election.  Here in California, all the polls showed Obama was going to kill McCain by 20%+.  Why waste a progressive vote on a nonprogressive when it didn't matter?

As Ralph Nader often notes, most progressives are very bad poker players.

•  Nader is an idiot (2+ / 0-)
                            sebastianguy99, freakofsociety

Sorry to say it. Nader did some really great things in the 1960's and 1970's, but now it's clear he has exceeded his shelf life.

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 10:19:08 AM PDT

•  Kucinich dropped out in January. (0+ / 0-)

The WV primary only listed Edwards (who had also dropped out by the time of actual voting.) So my original rant still holds. Oh good, I was almost buying that Obama was my fault but I was only given 2 people to choose between in WV, Obama and Clinton. So I'll put it back on the DNC- support some better Democrats or I no longer support you.

•  the woman i voted for... (0+ / 0-)

...is sitting in an Israeli prison right now, being punished for trying to bring medical supplies by sea to the people of Gaza.

As time goes by I am more & more proud of my vote.

"Meet the new boss / same as the old boss" -Pete Townsend, 1971

by DFH on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 10:51:59 PM PDT

•  No one was forced (2+ / 0-)
                freakofsociety, h bridges

to vote for Obama against their will. I didn't see anyone holding guns to anyone's head telling them they had to vote for Obama in the primaries.

I voted for neither of them.

by Cali Techie on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:02:57 AM PDT

•  sorry but (2+ / 0-)
                sebastianguy99, freakofsociety

Clinton did it to herself. She should've known better than to run that anti-terrorism commercial.

One who fully enters society lacks little from the Buddha world -- Suzuki Shósan

by virtuerules on Fri Jul 03, 2009 at 09:04:38 AM PDT

•  Lack Of Leadership From Obama (6+ / 0-)

Obama is not an empty vessel that is simply open for influence. He is showing himself to be what in the 60's 70's would be called a Rockefeller Republican.

We must be vigilant in letting our elected officials know of our concerns and issues, but it is simply an illusion to think that Obama is a liberal who is hamstrung by forces beyond his control.

• Recommended (146)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site