View Diary: RFK Jr -President Obama should go to Appalachia (150 comments)

•  I have a hard time taking RFK Jr seriously. (6+ / 0-)

Until he's willing to look at where some of his family's electricity might come from as an alternative,(Cape Wind), he's not the best person to be talking about the evils of coal.

This is not what I thought I'd be when I grew up.

by itzik shpitzik on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 06:40:59 PM PDT

•  RFK Jr is GOOD! seriously.... (6+ / 0-)

Look at his whole record, esp. Riverkeeper and his teaching.

Cape Wind is not a good example......some dubious players involved.........not clear issue of wind vs. coal.

Media Reform Action Link http://stopbigmedia.com/

by LNK on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 06:44:52 PM PDT

•  RFK Jr is a shalloow hypocrite on this. (7+ / 0-)

I kinow his whole record, and a whole lot of it is negated by his self-serving opposition to this most significant piece of New England's energy future.  I have no idea what you're talking about re: dubious players. This is a fully vetted project that rich people on the Cape have been opposing with all the money and connections they can muster. Because they'll maybe have to look at it.

This is not what I thought I'd be when I grew up.

by itzik shpitzik on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 06:48:51 PM PDT

•  Totally disagree on Cape Wind, LNK -- TOTALLY (5+ / 0-)

It's been so very sad to me to see RFK Jr's words and position on this over time.  I've studied it a fair bit, and Cape Wind is an excellent project -- R.Jr does lots of great stuff, but his NIMBY-ism on this has really hurt his credibility with many of us enviros.

But that's a side issue -- i completley agree with the thrust of this piece on MTR, will post about it further below.

•  Public Radio interviews about Cape Wind.... (0+ / 0-)

I regret not having an easy to find citation, but as I recall one business involved in pushing for provoking a NIMBY reaction was also involved in having old technology power plant near a school. Not a pure advocate......and there are also lots of haters out there who demonize Dems ......

Mountaintop Removal...indeed.....every part of that story requires urgent action.......

Media Reform Action Link http://stopbigmedia.com/

by LNK on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 09:46:54 PM PDT

•  Not sure i understand.. (3+ / 0-)

Not sure i get your response, so if you do get a reference, that'll be highly useful -- all the major enviro groups are behind it, and all the env'l studies have given the project a green light (and they have been exhaustive).

I really think the Kennedy's don't want their view messed up, from what i gather -- and beauty is quite in the eye of the beholder, as well.

I love seeing windmills, graceful, elegant, clean, Earth-saving machines, wherever they be, like from when i was a kid, the ones in the Altamont Pass in CA (*though* these are badly designed for bird-kill and power optimization, from 30-40 yrs ago, far before anybody understood these issues well -- the more modern wind turbines are way way better on all these counts).

One thing i can tell you is i'd rather live near a windmill farm than a mountain about to be blown up for coal, or downstream of a slag heap.  that's for dayyem sure.

•  It's not the only way he's hurt his credibility. (7+ / 0-)

I can't help but wonder if he'd be more persuasive to the administration of not for his antivax lunacy. This is one boy who has definitively cried wolf.

Wanna save up to $425 on a hotel room at Netroots Nation '09? Room with me! Please e-mail if interested.

by Jyrinx on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 06:58:30 PM PDT

•  Bullshit on every level. (4+ / 0-)

First of all, it's ad hominem and therefore irrelevant of RFK Jr is a hypocrite.

Second, the alternative is not necessarily just leaving the coal where it is. You don't have to remove a mountain top to get at the coal.

Barack Obama is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

by expatjourno on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 07:04:38 PM PDT

•  We're discussing a campaign, (4+ / 0-)

and so who leads the campaign, and therefore who has the credibility to lead it, is very much relevant. It's not ad hominem when the homo in question is the issue*.

And yes, narrowly speaking, being anti-MTR is not being anti-coal. But the point is that the Kennedy clan's other energy activism undermines his credibility here.

* homo is the Latin for man, in the nominative case. I'm only being pedantically grammatically correct, not homophobic :-)

by Jyrinx on Sun Jul 05, 2009 at 07:11:46 PM PDT

•  Even worse (0+ / 0-)

His support of antivax lunacy and willingness to throw all the evidence to the contrary under the bus, in effect lying simply because it suits his purpose, even though this is a matter of life and death for many, means nothing he says can be trusted.

For example, when he recently called on Obama to limit/eliminate MTR through executive order, does (and should) the power of an executive order really extend that far or not? I have no idea - there could easily be tricky legal issues in play. But since I can't trust anything RFK Jr. says, I either have to find someone else whose done the research (haven't found anyone yet), or do it myself in order to have an informed opinion on the matter.

•  So you would be pro-Thimerosal, then? (0+ / 0-)

And I guess you would throw all the evidence on the other side of the issue "under the bus?"

Not to hijack the thread here, but there is a raging controversy about Thimerosal and its relation to autism.  Perhaps we need to consider how much your partisanship on that specific issue would impair your ability to render a reliable judgement as to RFK Jr.'s character.

I mean, to me, you sound pretty het up.

•  There's black, and there's white (1+ / 0-)
            expatjourno

And then there's Thimerosal.  I find that you have mischaracterized the state of play.  E.g., there's quite a discusson at this link, including this:

I could go on but hopefully you're getting the picture. Based on all of the info Kennedy was neither lying nor was he being dishonest. Your arguments against him do not prove your point and you have no argument for most of the points I have raised.

Some will read this and agree with you.  Some will read it and come to another conclusion.  Some won't bother reading it, but will be aware that the case isn't as open-and-shut as you say.

And as for thread hijacking, my point here is not about Thimerosal, it's about character assassination.

•  A flawed messenger, granted. (1+ / 0-)
          MKSinSA

But his message is still the right one.

Taken from the perspective that we are just wasting half of the electricity we generate, though, I can see not wanting the environmental degradation either way until we'd gone as far as we could with conservation.

by expatjourno on Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 03:22:10 PM PDT

• Barack Obama (21)
  • Media (21)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Spam (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • White House (15)
  • International (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site