View Diary: Fundamental Understanding of Mathematics XXII (27 comments)

•  Hatboxes? (5+ / 0-)

I don't think I've seen hatboxes used as an example.  Are there still hatboxes around?

:-)

And while I can see how you can divide a hatbox by a number, I do not see how you can divide a number by a hatbox.

•  But you can (5+ / 0-)

take the reciprocal of a Hatbox, multiply it by a Hatbox, and come up with 1.

Too many students think math has to do with only numbers, specifically, with counting numbers they learned in elementary school, and those nasty variables they didn't understand in middle and high school.

"The problems of incompetent, corrupt, corporatist government is incompetence, corruption and corporatism, not government." Jerome a Paris

by Orinoco on Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 06:25:45 AM PDT

•  I use refrigerators or bananas (2+ / 0-)
      Orinoco, plf515

I don't think I've used them in quite this context, but when a child was struggling with say 3 x 200 , when they know 3 x 2 perfectly well.

This is not a sig-line.

by Joffan on Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 08:01:24 AM PDT

•  Sometimes it seems (4+ / 0-)

as if students look on each number as a Chinese ideogram, composed of familiar symbols, but with a brand new unique meaning.

Three times two refrigerators is easily figured out, but three times two hundred is an enormously difficult problem.

There are three important ideas underlying the difficulty:
        understanding zero, place value, and expanded notation or the idea that a number is composed of a sum (or product) of other numbers.

I think place value is the most likely culprit. It's taught at the elementary level, but I don't think it really sinks in for most struggling math students.

by Orinoco on Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 08:57:16 AM PDT

•  The reciprocal of a refrigerator (2+ / 0-)
        Orinoco, Joffan

would that be a stove or an oven? :-)

•  Yes, but I want (2+ / 0-)
          Orinoco, plf515

the reciprocal of a microwave oven for instant drink chilling.

This is not a sig-line.

by Joffan on Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 10:22:23 AM PDT

•  That would be (1+ / 0-)
          plf515

one divided by a refrigerator.

The reciprocal of a refrigerator is that which, if multiplied by a refrigerator, yields one, with no unit of measurement. The unit of the reciprocal may be very hard to visualize or conceptualize, but it cancels out in the end, so it really doesn't matter what it was.

Actually, I believe the reciprocal of a refrigerator is an oven. A stove is the reciprocal of a window mounted air conditioner.

;^)

by Orinoco on Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 10:30:33 AM PDT

•  My favorite hatbox (2+ / 0-)
      Orinoco, plf515

is the one Asta the fox terrier jumps into at the beginning of "After the Thin Man".   Nora (Myrna Loy) gives him what-for, but you know Asta will do it again when her back is turned.

Smartest dog in movie history (sorry, Toto).

"The watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'" (Carl Schurz)

by dotalbon on Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 09:38:15 AM PDT