View Diary: The cost of no public option (185 comments)

•  Ummm....Egg McMuffins are actually one of the (0+ / 0-)

healthiest quick breakfasts you can get.  Not ideal, but not bad.  Check it out.

If you are going to tax all that fast food you think is unhealthy, just remember how regressive that tax will be, falling primarily on the folks who ain't quit eating Lobsters.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 08:09:32 PM PDT

•  Tax restaurants. Do the poor dine out? (0+ / 0-)

No.  The poor do not dine out.  This tax on restaurant food would not be regressive.  Add a 10% tax to all restaurant food.

If anything, this tax would be progressive.  Encourage kids to help the family shop and prepare food.  Just look at the grocery store.  Most of the products sold are prepared foods.

The Panera Bread ad is running right now.  Do you think the poor go to Panera? Heck no!  Panera is in Park Ridge, Illinois where the homes can run into the millions!  And the calories?  Bagels with a special well to hold more brown-sugar cinnamon crunch.  As if one humongous plain bagel didn't already have enough calories usually equaling 5 slices of bread!

Clearly you are a McMuffin fan.  They are tasty.  But they are a refined bread, high fat cheese, high fat Canadian bacon and an egg.  YUM.  But heck, tax em, and tax em high.  All restaurants.  The poor don't eat out that often.

Abolishing the tax on fresh food, veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc. would help the poor too!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

by Aidos on Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 08:27:54 PM PDT

•  Ummm...but working people do. (0+ / 0-)

I don't know what world you live in, but there are lots of people in my world who have to work to pay their bills, and a lot of them are grabbing something quick and cheap to eat.

In that world, the McMuffin stacks up surprisingly well. They're only 300 calories, just over 30% from fat.

I prefer to get the yogurt parfait and maybe an english muffin if I eat breakfast at McDonald's, but there are far worse offenders than the poor unloved McMuffin.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 09:07:18 PM PDT

•  Dino, I go for the big breakfast. (0+ / 0-)

I eat half the eggs, the hashbrown, and devour the pancakes with butter and syrup, drink the cappucino.

I take the English muffin (I don't like biscuits) the sausage and half the eggs to make a lunch sandwich.  I take the strawberry jam or grape jelly home.  I get two meals, a huge breakfast and a modest lunch sandwich, for under 5 dollars!  So I too go to Micky D's.  I still say.  Tax em.

The salads at Micky D's should NOT be taxed.  The salads deliver less calories, more nutrition but cost 3-5 times what their other choices cost.  A quarter-pounder with cheese at 600 calories can be had for 99cents on special.  Usually it's $1.59.

So what's a person to do?  Everything is stacked against good nutrition.  Good nutrition costs more because the ingredients cost more, the preparation and storage costs more.  Someone has to make good nutrition a good economic choice.  The government can do that by taxing the buh-he-jus outta high calorie, high fat, high sodium foods.

Ultimately this will pay for itself in lower healthcare costs due to healthier people.

by Aidos on Sun Jul 12, 2009 at 10:41:20 PM PDT

•  There's room to differ on that, but ... (0+ / 0-)

I see it as something that could backfire badly.

PS...

Yeah, the big breakfast with Joe ain't bad.  Now and then I'll go there with my wife for a treat because there aren't many places where you can get an edible breakfast for that kind of money. I do the one without hash browns, though. I'm a southern boy, and my hash-brown sensors aren't tripped by those weird little potato pattie things.  If anybody asks, though, I say it's for nutritional reasons.  ;0)

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 04:43:31 AM PDT

•  A lot of poor people don't have kitchens (0+ / 0-)

they live in SRO hotels and they are lucky to have an (often illegal) hotplate. They also rarely have refrigerators. (Thats why, in the winter, you see food placed precariously on outdoor windowsills in tupperware containers.)

These days, often whole families live in these small rooms in hotels or motels. There is no privacy, either. Whole families live in one room and often, sleep in sleeping bags on the floor.

You can imagine how hard it is for a student to do their homework in this situation.

These are the people I often talk about here (almost any of us could easily become one of them) who have lost their homes in foreclosures or been stripped of everything they own by medical bills, premiums, and uncovered costs.

Once people have no insurance, they cannot own much to get medicaid. Often, even the very low incomes they may have disqualify them.

Those people end up in very ugly situations. The safety net is vanishing. Jobs are vanishing.

People who can't afford COBRA also won't be able to purchase public option brand insurance.

PREMIUMS will consume almost 1/3 of avg. household income by 2010, and ALL of it by 2025! Moreover,'insurance' covers less and less of total health care costs

by Andiamo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 10:16:35 AM PDT

•  Thanks. (0+ / 0-)

I forget about people in that perverse position.

Able to have a space to live, too poor for a kitchen and forced to eat out.

Strange place sometimes, this US.

Free speech? Yeah, I've heard of that. Have you?

by dinotrac on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 10:29:08 AM PDT