View Diary: PA-Sen: The Senate's biggest hypocrite calls someone else a hypocrite (187 comments)

•  Dude (1+ / 0-)
    dmsarad

Remember:

You act as if this wasn't courted.  Of course Specter was courted by the Democratic power structure.  It is why he has the support of the establishment.  Do I think he was an opportunist, yes.  Do I think it reflects the reality that there is no room for moderates in the Republican party, yes.  Would I have voted for him if he had a R next to his name, yes.  Would I vote for him against Sestak, I don't know.  Would I vote for him in the general if he beats Sestak, yes.  Do I consider him a Democrat, yes.

And:

As I stated before.  With an R next to his name, I would never have voted for him.  In all likelihood, if I were voting in the Pa primary, I would vote for Sestak.  That aside, he was the leading moderate Republican and stood by his values.  It is notable that when Santorum was defeated, we had a Democratic Senator who oppossed choice and a Republican Senator who supported it.  Furthermore, as I have said over and over again in this thread, I don't punish the man for switching parties, I credit it, just like I did with Jim Jeffords.

Proud Democrat. Proud American.

by bluedonkey08 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 02:23:31 PM PDT

•  that was a typo (0+ / 0-)

I have never voted for a R in my life.  NEVER.

Pretty big typo which might explain some of the flack I have been getting.

"There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective opinion with individual independence" - J.S. Mill

by dmsarad on Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 02:30:53 PM PDT

•  So (0+ / 0-)

You'd vote for Specter if he put a D next to his name, but you wouldn't if he had an R? Remember: same guy, different label.

Proud Democrat. Proud American.

by bluedonkey08 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 02:34:11 PM PDT

•  HUGE difference (0+ / 0-)

If Specter wer erunning as a Democrat in the general, you bet your tuchus I would vote for him.  If he were running as a R against Sestak you bet your tuchus I would vote for him.  If Sestak were running 20 points behing Toomey, I would vote for Specter in the D primary.  All things equal, as I stated numerous times, I am not sure who I would support but probably Sestak.

All that aside, my basic point is still the same.  I credit Specter for switching parties.  I consider it a major victory.  I do not condemn it and I do not condemn him.

by dmsarad on Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 02:41:20 PM PDT

•  Sestak is waaay too Blue Dog for me, (1+ / 0-)
            ancblu

but he's proven his honesty and integrity during his time in Congress.  Is he qualified to be a US Senator?  Damn straight.

Now, can you identify any positions that Spector held on any important issue that were held by Democrats in Congress?  Has he ever demonstrated that he even had any principles?

Arlen was a sleazebag when he was a DA, and a Democrat, all those years ago in Philly, and he hasn't changed at all.

"Never let up. Crush bigotry and greed."

by LouisMartin on Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 03:40:38 PM PDT

•  How about choice (0+ / 0-)

Might I remind you that PAs other Senator is anti-choice and Specter is pro-choice.

by dmsarad on Fri Jul 10, 2009 at 07:49:05 PM PDT