View Diary: Jeff Sessions is a liar (248 comments)

•  The same might be said of many here (11+ / 0-)

... people who are the direct ideological, and in some cases biological, descendants of southern plantation owners and slaveholders, and British loyalists and monarchists.

But time passed, the earth cooled, and somewhere along the way people got the hell over it.

I'm grateful to the Republican Boys Club for one thing, though. At least they've laid to rest the myth of white supremacy once and for all.

•  Hell, Nathan Bedford Forrest did that (14+ / 0-)

White supremacists have never been interested in demonstrating white supremacy.  They've always only be interested in imposing it with as much violence as necessary, plus a little extra just for fun.

I come from up-holler Ozarks cracker petit bourgeoisie on my dad's side, and assume there are slave owners (and probably slaves) in my ancestry.  Yet that was then and this is now, and the Beauregard Sessions' of the country need to be reminded that this is the 21st Century, not the 19th.

"I would say to you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!" Bzzzt! Sorry Barry, thanks for playing.

by Dallasdoc on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 04:37:17 PM PDT

•  Let alone the 18th (3+ / 0-)
        Dallasdoc, yowsta, MichaelNY

It's pretty pathetic watching them vainly try to hold onto that which hasn't been theirs for generations, and was never really theirs morally, instead of accepting that this is and always has been, at heart, a meritocracy, and that if a "Wise Latina" ends up on top, on her merits, then that's just the way that it is, boys. Deal. With. It.

Fox Nauseam Delenda Est

by kovie on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 05:12:52 PM PDT

•  ha ha! Good one! (1+ / 0-)
      moiv

The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman, is an atheist's manifesto.

by coigue on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 04:58:47 PM PDT

•  Being none of these myself (3+ / 0-)
      moiv, Dallasdoc, rk2

I find it all the more difficult to fathom these privileged white supremacist asshats. My background is hard-working middle class refugee/immigrant, so I just cannot relate.

Let alone "empathize". Heh.

Fox Nauseam Delenda Est

by kovie on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 05:15:38 PM PDT

•  They never see anyone else (3+ / 0-)
        Dallasdoc, kovie, dirtfarmer

They never associate with anyone else. You should hear the arguments I get into with the bf about future children playing with "those kind of people" on little league teams. Though, to be fair, the bf is CLASSIST, not racist. As if that's better.

•  Ouch (0+ / 0-)

Be careful there. I'm serious. Intolerance and elitism are not good qualities.

Fox Nauseam Delenda Est

by kovie on Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 10:49:35 PM PDT

•  Here'e the thing (0+ / 0-)

In practice, he's actually not racist or classist--it's in his assumptions and prejudices. For all my progressive political theory, he is much better in practice than I am--when the rubber hits the road, he is much more fair. He just doesn't understand the privileges he enjoys as a wealthy white male. And he does say that I've opened his eyes up to a lot of things, and that I make him think a lot more about things. So, I'm not too worried about that.

•  Are you saying that America (0+ / 0-)

is entering the post-colonial stage at last?
      My goodness, it's about time... but it will indeed be a battle.

Political Compass says: -8.88, -8.67
      "We never sold out cos no one would buy."--J Neo Marvin

by expatyank on Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 04:38:59 AM PDT