View Diary: NY-Sen: There's more to Maloney profile than the "n" word (36 comments)

•  Talk about a gloss over of using the N word. (3+ / 0-)
    RonV, LuLu, tberry

I wondered if anyone would even bring it up.  If a repug and done it there would be half a dozen diaries.

Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment and OK for you.

by thestructureguy on Mon Jul 20, 2009 at 09:46:18 PM PDT

•  There was a previous diary here, (3+ / 0-)
      Manhattan Dan, RonV, LuLu

by a Maloney supporter concerned about Al Sharpton criticizing her, with 100-plus comments.

I did link to the Daily News story about Maloney's apology (100-plus comments there, too).

A public option for health insurance is a national priority.

by devtob on Mon Jul 20, 2009 at 09:55:33 PM PDT

•  One thing Maloney and Trippi don't realize (2+ / 0-)
      LuLu, devtob

is that most people read only the headlines and look at the pictures.  Comparatively few read the actual story.

Today, Google News features an array of heds that say "Maloney apologizes over use of racial slur" and "Rep. Carolyn Maloney apologizes over use of N-word, but slip may cost her against Sen. Gillibrand."

A pol who had even the tiniest amount of media savvy -- and I know for a fact that Maloney has zero -- might have anticipated how this might play out.  Unfortunately, this will go forward with much of the public now believing that Maloney uses racisst language.

It's especially ironic because Maloney got spattered by the same brush with which  she was trying to tar her opponent.

•  Judge for yourself (0+ / 0-)

Here is the incident:

There is Carolyn Maloney, ripping into Kirsten Gillibrand broad and hard for voting against the two stimulus bills and for changing her positions on several core Democratic issues, sounding out her case on the fly as, "It’s the NRA, it’s immigration, it’s all these other things. In fact, I got a call from someone from Puerto Rico, said [Gillibrand] went to Puerto Rico and came out for English-only [education]. And he said, ‘It was like saying n—r to a Puerto Rican,’" she said, using the full racial slur. "I don’t know—I don’t know if that’s true or not. I just called. I’m just throwing that out. All of her—well, what does she stand for?"

This is what precipitated the PR activist's anger with Gillibrand:

El Diario also quotes from Gillibrand's Web site, which lays out her positions on immigration thusly:

"In Congress, Congresswoman Gillibrand has been a firm opponent of any proposal that would give amnesty to illegal aliens. The federal government must provide the necessary resources to secure our borders, which is critical for America’s economic and national security.

[snip]

In addition, Congresswoman Gillibrand believes English should be made the official language of the United States and she opposes providing non-emergency taxpayer benefits to illegal aliens.

This is a hit job.

"My favorite is Greta Van Susteren"--Kirsten Gillibrand

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 07:11:34 AM PDT

•  Maloney says the n-word (2+ / 0-)
        Manhattan Dan, LuLu

to a reporter, then explains it like this:

I don’t know — I don’t know if that’s true or not. I just called. I’m just throwing that out. All of her — well, what does she stand for?

And anyone who criticizes that odd performance is doing a hit job!?

That's ironic, given that GN1927 has been doing dozens of hit jobs a day on Gillibrand for months.

A public option for health insurance is a national priority.

by devtob on Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 07:34:15 AM PDT

•  Except the PR activist's statement is true (0+ / 0-)

Gillibrand did promote English Only.  If you think it's a lie that he found that as offensive as black people find the N word, then I guess that's subject to opinion.  I believe him myself.  I hate sloppy analogies and I hate that black people have to be dragged into every dispute.  This controversy has nothing to do with us.  It's about Gillibrand's former immigration rhetoric and policies.  You find me one untruth about what I posted in terms of me excerpting El Diario lifting Gillibrand's policy directly from her website before it was scrubbed, and I'll issue an apology to you and every other Gillibrand advocate.

"My favorite is Greta Van Susteren"--Kirsten Gillibrand

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 07:51:39 AM PDT

•  The person who dragged black people (2+ / 0-)
            Manhattan Dan, LuLu

into this dispute was Maloney.

The English-Only debate is mostly about Latinos.

Maloney was looking for an excuse to use the N word so that it would appear to some that Gillibrand had somehow uttered the equivalent.

•  Bullshit (0+ / 0-)

Maloney was looking for an excuse to use the N word

Unfortunately, a lot of people use sloppy analogies when attempting to express how offensive they may find something.  "Gillibrand promoting English Only education on the island of Puerto Rico is like the "N-word" to Puerto Ricans" is not racist.  To use this incident in this manner reveals a contempt of African Americans.  I'll be honest with you, I find it hard to believe that Gillibrand means black people any good.  Her camp should never have tried this.

"My favorite is Greta Van Susteren"--Kirsten Gillibrand

by GN1927 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 at 08:02:46 AM PDT

•  Advocating English Only to Puerto Ricans (2+ / 0-)
                LuLu, devtob

has NOTHING to do with African-Americans.

Puerto Ricans are NOT African Americans.

"According to the 2000 U.S. Census there were almost four million inhabitants. Eighty percent of Puerto Ricans described themselves as "white"; 8% as "black"; 12% as "mulatto" and 0.4% as "American Indian or Alaska Native"."

Where do you get this BS you spout?