View Diary: Saturday Night Loser's Club, Vol. CLXVIII: Typos Edition (119 comments)

•  have done my share of.... (5+ / 0-)
    wader, cfk, Youffraita, jlms qkw, trs

....proofing and editing as well.  It is definitely possible to be so close to a given project that you can't look at it fresh any more, so typos like that can escape one.  But hey, spelling/grammar geeks keep published material looking respectable.

One wonders how widespread the name Roberston is in the world :) .

"It's only in books that the officers of the detective force are superior to the weakness of making a mistake." (Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone)

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 10:25:32 PM PDT

•  I don't think there are many (7+ / 0-)

Roberstons...but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there are a few.

No misspellings, but one of the funniest signs I've ever seen was outside a gas station in rural Vermont.  There was a convenience store that had a short-order grill in it; the sign read:

Eat Here
      Get Gas

My favorite real misspellings have come on NYC restaurant menus, though.  The one I remember most vividly boasted "Roast Lion of Pork."

GOP: Turning the U.S. into a banana republic since 1980

by Youffraita on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 10:31:50 PM PDT

•  I-5 South used to have a Caltrans sign stating: (7+ / 0-)

Cruise Ship Exit.

•  was the VT sign deliberate? (4+ / 0-)
        cfk, Youffraita, Situational Lefty, trs

In addition, the pork dish sounds interesting :) .  Of course, I would say that, having seen The Merchant of Venice recently.

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 10:33:27 PM PDT

•  I don't know about the sign... (4+ / 0-)

I've always assumed it wasn't intentional, but I only went there on vacation, so I didn't know the people who owned it or anything.

BTW, I didn't order the pork lion.

GOP: Turning the U.S. into a banana republic since 1980

by Youffraita on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 10:36:04 PM PDT

•  will have to look in future on restaurant menus (4+ / 0-)
            cfk, Youffraita, Situational Lefty, trs

I'm sure there have been various typos on "menus of the day", but just never paid much attention.

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 10:38:07 PM PDT

•  As mentioned (1+ / 0-)
              chingchongchinaman

"Roast Lion of Pork" really stood out...but the best restaurant typos tend to be at mom&pop ethnic places.  Well...that was true in NYC, anyway.

GOP: Turning the U.S. into a banana republic since 1980

by Youffraita on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 11:47:37 PM PDT

•  hmm, good point (1+ / 0-)
                Youffraita

Statistically, that does seem more likely, on general principle.  One wonders how the mom & pop restaurants are doing compared to the chains in this economy.  Of course, a good number of chains has suffered too, so I probably shouldn't talk.

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 11:54:24 PM PDT

•  Whenever possible (1+ / 0-)
                  chingchongchinaman

I try to patronize the mom&pop places.  I'm not in NYC anymore, so my choices are rather limited, but there are still some independents, and I can eschew the big chains.

For example, I don't ever go to McDonald's.  But I'll get a couple of slices from Slugger's Pizza...and no, you never heard of them.  They're a mom&pop a block away from where I work, and about two blocks from the local minor-league stadium.  And they have the best pizza in town.

GOP: Turning the U.S. into a banana republic since 1980

by Youffraita on Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 12:15:38 AM PDT

•  I like going to the indie restaurants myself.... (0+ / 0-)

....on the occasions that I do go out to eat (which tends to be on vacation out of town - note the subtext).  I haven't set foot in a Mickey D's in years, although I heard way back that in some relatively backward countries, where McD's had set up a place, that was actually the cleanest restaurant in town.

Speaking of pizza (and you're right, I've never heard of Slugger's Pizza), this local establishment got an endorsement around the time of the big rally with his Barackness (as he was then), as noted here.    Subsequently, this happened.

by chingchongchinaman on Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 12:34:56 AM PDT