View Diary: Friday Night at the Movies: Jack Cardiff (1914-2009) (56 comments)

•  When I was a kid I saw The Vikings (5+ / 0-)

with Kirk Douglas (1958), where Cardiff was the cinematographer. There are impressive shots of the Fjords of Norway.

I know films like this didn't hold up much, but I was sure impressed then. Good score by Mario Nascimbene.

•  never seen it; know what you mean.... (1+ / 0-)
      annetteboardman

.....though, especially with wide screen spectacles.  It's been interesting on the occasions where I've had the chance to watch a film on the big screen after first seeing it on TV.

"It's only in books that the officers of the detective force are superior to the weakness of making a mistake." (Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone)

by chingchongchinaman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 07:51:39 PM PDT

•  Oy (3+ / 0-)

I've only ever seen Lawrence of Arabia on TV. I never could stick with it on TCM, so when the DVD popped up at Kroger one time, I picked it up. It was good to have it so I could go back and get the plot points I missed, but really.

Watching it on a 19" TV screen is an exercise in futility. That little strip across the middle of the screen just can't convey the vastness of the desert the way the big screen can, and that's half the movie right there. No wonder I always spaced out halfway through!

•  "Lawrence of Arabia" on the big screen (5+ / 0-)

I was lucky enough to see the re-release of Lawrence of Arabia in the fully restored version, in a theater which was capable of handling the 70-mm print.  I regret that I only saw it the once, although at the time, it might have been too much to see it twice in such a short time as its release period then.  That theater's long gone now.

by chingchongchinaman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 08:16:10 PM PDT

•  I saw it twice (1+ / 0-)
            chingchongchinaman

in a theatre in Toronto, with a velvet curtain.  It was stunning.  And I was really thirsty for most of it!

•  with intermission? (1+ / 0-)
              annetteboardman

We got that, of course.  In fact, where Claude Rains and Jack Hawkins were walking right before intermission, that outside structure with all the columns, I've been to that site in Spain.

by chingchongchinaman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 09:17:02 PM PDT

•  I noticed rocks in the sands of the desert (1+ / 0-)
            chingchongchinaman

that I had not seen in the 35 mm print.  It's one of my best moviegoing memories, up there with seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in Cinerama.

A "parliament of whores" doesn't even begin to f**king cover it. -- Billmon

by Vico on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 09:13:56 PM PDT

•  that I don't remember (1+ / 0-)
              Vico

I haven't seen Lawrence since that re-release, and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see it on a real big screen again, even with modern stadium seating technology.  Its 50th anniversary is in 2012, but I wonder if anyone will be doing anything for it then.

by chingchongchinaman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 09:18:17 PM PDT

•  Have you read... (1+ / 0-)
            chingchongchinaman

Lawrence's "Revolt in the Desert" (or "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" same book with minor changes for copyright purposes)it's a good read with some excellent descriptive writing.I'd recommend it if you're interested in Lawrence or that particular bit of history.

I don't hate Republicans I just feel better when they're not around.

by justCal on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 10:09:24 PM PDT

•  have not read it (1+ / 0-)
              justCal

I suppose I should one day.  Just to give you an idea of my backlog, I've had Albert Hourani's A History of the Arab Peoples on my bookshelf for over 15 years.  I still haven't read it yet.  (Not good, I know.)  But thanks for the suggestion.

by chingchongchinaman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 10:14:23 PM PDT

•  I hear ya. (1+ / 0-)
                chingchongchinaman

My reading list is backed up to infinity.

I don't hate Republicans I just feel better when they're not around.

by justCal on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 10:30:05 PM PDT

•  I just might finish.... (1+ / 0-)
                  justCal

....this one book from the 1990's on the AMA, The Serpent on the Staff (speaking of health care), soon, which is a running joke in Bookflurries that I haven't finished it.  Of course, I'm at the point where I want to pick books to read so that I can try to trade them in at a used bookstore at some point.  Or failing that, I'll register them on Bookcrossing and release them somewhere, where no one will pick them up, given my tastes :) .

I need to start paying attention to the art house listings for movies to see, although not much has really registered over the summer (did see Up, though, with the 3-D glasses).

by chingchongchinaman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 at 10:34:39 PM PDT

•  Check it out on YouTube. (2+ / 0-)

Watch the first part done in Bayeux Tapestry style with great fonts and narrated by Orson Welles.