View Diary: Money, Money, Money (87 comments)

•  This is the crux of the whole healthcare story (5+ / 0-)

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. --Mark Twain

by SottoVoce on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 07:52:24 AM PDT

•  ... our utterly corrupted political process. (4+ / 0-)

Reform in this country depends on public financing of political campaigns.  That's not saying you can't give money to your candidate, but it's saying your candidate doesn't need outside money to win.

Corporate return on candidate investment must be destroyed with prejudice.

•  The drug companies are getting a nice return (3+ / 0-)
        Mogolori, oscarsmom, polar bear

on their investments, according to today's NYT FP:

Pressed by industry lobbyists, White House officials on Wednesday assured drug makers that the administration stood by a behind-the-scenes deal to block any Congressional effort to extract cost savings from them beyond an agreed-upon $80 billion.

Drug industry lobbyists reacted with alarm this week to a House health care overhaul measure that would allow the government to negotiate drug prices and demand additional rebates from drug manufacturers.

In response, the industry successfully demanded that the White House explicitly acknowledge for the first time that it had committed to protect drug makers from bearing further costs in the overhaul. The Obama administration had never spelled out the details of the agreement.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I see things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 08:19:50 AM PDT

•  Negotiations on drug prices with the (4+ / 0-)
          Mogolori, RFK Lives, ukeman, ozarkspark

pharmaceutical companies should be included in the final bill and sent to Obama to sign.  If he doesn't sign the bill he can explain to the American people how he pre-emptively reached an agreement with the drug companies not to reduce their profits any more than they demanded.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 08:31:19 AM PDT

•  The Senate will never do that (2+ / 0-)
            Mogolori, polar bear

I'm not sure that the House would, but the Senate will never dare biting the hand of Big Pharma that has fed so many of them.  It's a great idea, but I don't see it happening.

by RFK Lives on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 08:38:17 AM PDT

•  oops, i commented before i read the comments. (1+ / 0-)
          RFK Lives

same thing.  i'm very upset by this, but that doesn't really help.  I hate to admit it, but I may withdraw just a bit, and get recharged somehow.  I'm very tired of everything I fight for being given away to the crooks, even as they are praised.

•  Yep, it's not obscene that it is so much, (1+ / 0-)
          SottoVoce

it is obscene that it is so little. Think about it, there are 18 Congresspeople out there willing to continue to keep sending tens of thousands a year to an early grave for $100,000 in 6 months. A few dollars per early death.

The FOX is a common carrier of rabies, a virus that leaves its victims foaming at the mouth and causes paranoia and hallucinations.

by Calouste on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 10:35:06 AM PDT

•  I was hoping (2+ / 0-)
      ozarkspark, polar bear

this discussion was going to be about the overall cost of healthcare reform, not the healthcare reform  debate (i.e., More Tales of the Corruption of Congress).

I'm getting killed out here when trying to convince people who are truly afraid of the cost of the reform effort that it will be better, and that with the reorganizing of the money in the system - and taking the profits away from insurance companies and for-profit hospitals - there would be plenty of money to cover everyone under a public plan.

Mostly I'm getting blank stares, and then the question comes (again), "But what about the cost?"  These are not wingnut cases or screamers, but people genuinely afraid of the reform's impact on the deficit.  I don't know how to allay their fears, particularly since there is nothing in any of the plans about forcing insurance companies and hospitals to become non-profit.

by SueDe on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 08:26:42 AM PDT