View Diary: Bypassing the "Screamers" for a Real Conversation (200 comments)

•  Yeah, we wouldn't want MORE displays... (11+ / 0-)

of ignorance to hurt the GOP... so lets let them save face and avoid them all together.

I'm sorry, I can't agree... We want our Dems to have spines, not shirk from a fight. I think we have seen enough recommendations on this site on how to control one of these town hall meetings effectively without stifling free speech. I vote that she goes to see her constituents face to face.

When your are terrorized, the terrorists have won.

... We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. - President Barack Obama

by weelzup on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 04:49:04 AM PDT

•  Exactly (10+ / 0-)

We want our Dems to have spines, not shirk from a fight.

And along similar lines, I think that most people in America would like to see public order and respect for the rule of law.

Even most Republicans I know do not approve of thugs showing up and attempting to shut down a public meeting.  They would like to attend and argue their points just as much as the rest of us.

The right-wing fringe that is showing up and acting thuggish makes it impossible for anyone to speak.

Most Americans don't appreciate that and would like to see a little more enforcement of decorum that allows people to actually talk.

It really concerns me to see elected officials caving into the thuggery of a small group of fringe right-wingers.  It is rather unprecedented IMO, and it makes me wonder why they are handing so much power over to this dangerous minority.

"The time for justice is always right now!" - Samantha Booke, Wiley College debate team, 1935

by Edgewater on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 04:59:07 AM PDT

•  This American ... (5+ / 0-)

... would like to see a Senator who is being shouted down say "I will have my say and you will be courteous and orderly or I will come down there right now and punch you straight in the fricking mouth. (well, you could leave out the 'fricking') And I will take on several of you at once. Then you can sue me but you still won't have teeth." The real people would cheer.

Get real, all you Reps and Senators, cowardice in the face of intimidation is not an American value. The Repubs trash you no matter what you say. So give them a real raspberry to complain about loud and proud.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 06:10:58 AM PDT

•  I dunno about the punching part (0+ / 0-)
          But I understand there is a precedent for caning.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who know binary and those who don't.

by JBL55 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 09:26:03 AM PDT

•  Precedent? (1+ / 0-)
            JBL55

Yep. Sometimes you have to break some eggs. The Republicans have no problem with that. And the Democrats have no recourse and no ability to defend themselves from the thugs because their position is "we are better and nobler than they are." What a bunch of stinking ordure that thinking is. Thugs do not care about the rule of law, the gun laws, and courtesy and democracy. Thugs, only understand effective confrontation. So let us give them some.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Thu Aug 06, 2009 at 04:44:23 PM PDT

•  We agree about effective confrontation (0+ / 0-)

We disagree about the form it should take.

Violence in any form, be it verbal or physical, is not effective.  An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, as Gandhi observed.

We are a nation of laws, and the minute we allow terrorists, either foreign or domestic, to change that we may as well shred the Constitution.

After all we went through for the previous eight years, I cannot advocate throwing away everything we believe in for the sake of achieving a momentary lull, for that's all it would be.

We have plenty of legal constitutional non-violent means at our disposal to deal with these people which we have not even come close to exhausting.

by JBL55 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 at 01:20:58 PM PDT

•  No, I don't think Americans want to see their (0+ / 0-)

Congressional Reps in a fistfight. A little more dignity is in order. But I liked the diary about the Town Hall in northern Indiana where they took specific measures to keep the people who came there to disrupt from actually doing so.  For one thing, they asked the police to be present both inside and outside, and announced that disrupters would be escorted from the room. THere were other things, as well, as you can see here.

I think these tactics should be repeated, so we can avoid retreating from the screamers. And yes, if the screamers actually assault anyone, those around them should stop them physically if need be. But we don't want to go there if it's avoidable. An awful lot of the screamers are old people anyway; we really don't want to punch them out. THe people who deserve that are the lobbyists behind this whole thing, who are sitting in their posh offices watching and smiling.

•  So ... (0+ / 0-)

... you just want to punch out the fat cats? Why? They are charged with making money. That's what they were taught in the MBA program at Stanford. They are charged with the bottomline.

The fat cats are not the sell out legislators. They are not the folks physically threatening and intimidating people at town meetings. You got your priorities ass backwards IMO.

If they send the head breakers and thugs, it is the head breakers, screamers and thugs who must be confronted on the spot. There is no way to do that with what you term 'dignity' and I term ego, fear, and too much listening to handlers by people who can only get elected to our government if they have money and tow the poltically correct line.

People like this politician writing the diary are out of touch with the American people bigtime. They have handlers, they have toadys, they have security people. All that to keep them out of contact with real life. And nobody ever tells the truth to a powerful person or a beautiful woman.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West