View Diary: The new guest bloggers (294 comments)

•  Plaudite, quaeso, (none)
    viri et mulier doctissimi ac excellentissimi:

A Gilas Girl
    Armando
    DavidNYC
    Hunter
    Kid Oakland

(Don't ask, it's Latin: Just nod your heads and smile like you know what I'm talking about ;-9)

Michael
    "Je ne regrette rien" -- Edith Piaf
    Now let's take our country back!

by musing85 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 at 08:26:47 PM PST

•  Opera Man? (none)

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Tue Nov 30, 2004 at 08:29:57 PM PST

•  Yeah, but that's not where I learned Latin (none)
        Half of my double bachelor's is in classics (Greek, specifically), and so is my first master's. I had to learn Latin for that--spent most of a beautiful summer in Boulder with Miller's Introduction to Latin permanently affixed to my body or somewhere in close proximity. Squeezing two years' worth of instruction into eight weeks or thereabouts is intense!

Michael
        "Je ne regrette rien" -- Edith Piaf
        Now let's take our country back!

by musing85 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 at 08:37:42 PM PST

•  Lemme guess (none)
      Congratulations, something, men and woman... uh... really ductile... and excellent?
      •  You're in the ballpark (none)
        But the first verb is in the imperative, the second is the conjugated one (and it means "to ask" or "request"). And "doctissimi" comes from "doctus," the past participle of the verb "doceo," "to teach."

Michael
        "Je ne regrette rien" -- Edith Piaf
        Now let's take our country back!

by musing85 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 at 08:47:36 PM PST

•  Well, at least I did better... (none)
          ...than this on-line translator, which gives:

Plaudite , to seek for , green and woman doctissimi and excellentissimi.

So the real answer is something like: Applaud, I ask, the most learned and excellent... (And I haven't had Latin since highschool.)

•  Good thing I wasn't having my morning coffee (none)
            or it would now be dripping down my monitor.

"Quaeso," in this context, is more like "please." If you wanted to be more literal, you could say "I beg you to applaud the most learned and excellent men and woman..."

Michael
            "Je ne regrette rien" -- Edith Piaf
            Now let's take our country back!

by musing85 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 at 06:32:09 AM PST

•  And like an idiot (none)
        I see I put "viri et mulier" in the wrong case. Should be accusative, not nominative. This is what happens when you go without sufficient sleep for two days and try to post on dKos in a language other than English...

Michael
        "Je ne regrette rien" -- Edith Piaf
        Now let's take our country back!

by musing85 on Tue Nov 30, 2004 at 08:49:39 PM PST

• Recommended (131)
  • Community (66)
  • Elections (25)
  • Environment (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Culture (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Science (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Climate Change (15)
  • Hillary Clinton (15)
  • Rescued (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site