Skip to main content

View Diary: Waxman Opening another Front in Healthcare Debate? (307 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  This is the narrative that gets lost (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    DBunn

    Sending tax money to Washington doesn't lead to corrupt politicians.  It's easy enough to keep track of money within the government and make sure that it's being spent fairly.  

    The way money gets to corrupt politicians is, it has to go to a private company first.  Once there, it needs to go, in bulk, to a small group of individuals skilled in the art of paying off their friends.  That's how money gets to the Conrads, the Baucusses, the Greggs.  

    What needs to be emphasized isn't whether or not this bill will raise taxes.  What needs to be emphasized is whether this bill will raise the total amount being spent on health care.  If my taxes go up, but I'm no longer paying for private health insurance, that's a net gain for me, and a net gain for the American economy.  

    Cry all you want about insurance companies going out of business and Americans losing jobs.  Bottom line is, if the service you provide can be provided cheaper elsewhere, you're a burden to the economy.

    •  Americans losing jobs. (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      DBunn

      Maybe CEO's, PR flacks, paper shufflers, benefit denyers and various corporate hacks would lose jobs.  

      Good riddance to bad rubbish.  I hear walmart is hiring.

      Employment would soar among those who actually provide healthcare, build hospitals, ie do real work.  Along with morale, I'd guess, being out from under a corrupt, immoral system.  Net gain all around.

      Please don't feed the Security State.

    •  Taxes and TACs (0+ / 0-)

      "TACs" is an expression of my own coinage, standing for Total Annual Costs. Taxes are one component of TACs, but only one. Obviously, it doesn't help much for your taxes to go down, if your Total Annual Costs still go up. By the same logic, if your taxes go up but your TACs go down due to a particular piece of legislatation, that's a net gain for you. If the value you receive in return goes up at the same time, that's even better.

      So, let's see what happens if we apply these ideas to health care reform... hmm. For about 95% of us, we come out way ahead on the simple arithmetic. For the other 5%, we still come out way ahead, because it's a huge boost to the US economy, and we ARE all Americans. The only people who lose out are a handful of insurance company execs (cue crocodile tears), but since they're so smart and talented, they should quickly find new employment, like maybe making license plates at the state pen.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (142)
  • Community (61)
  • Baltimore (45)
  • Bernie Sanders (36)
  • Civil Rights (35)
  • Culture (28)
  • Elections (21)
  • Freddie Gray (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Economy (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Rescued (19)
  • Hillary Clinton (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Media (16)
  • Texas (16)
  • Environment (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site