View Diary: WaPo/ABC poll: Growing wariness on the left (213 comments)

•  Is it possible our R2K polls (2+ / 0-)
    boilerman10, polar bear

are having the effect of encouraging pollsters to be looser with their crosstabs? I mean, there was quite a scoop buried in ours, and it doesn't seem like they'd want to let us hog it …

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 01:54:38 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I would like to see the questions (1+ / 0-)
      AuroraDawn

or better hear an operator asking those questions.

What and how it is asked can throw a poll all over the map.

Today, 8/22/09, 4333 Americans, and untold Iraqis are dead, tens of thousands more maimed. Bush lied; President Obama, it is your war now.

by boilerman10 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 01:57:53 PM PDT

•  Precisely. I wanted to throw my TV out a window.. (19+ / 0-)

yesterday, when the punditry was discussing Obama's drop in the polls. They seemed to be laboring under the misimpression that people have lost confidence in Obama because they fear the public option. They failed to recognize that, in fact, many people are mad at him because they want a public option, and they feel he is backing down.

Same thing with their healthcare polls. They asked the question "Are you happy with the way Obama has handled healthcare." Most people answered no. That could be interpretted in any number of ways, since they didn't bother to follow-up and ask those polled why they were unhappy. Yet the pundits viewed the poll results as further indication that Americans fear the public option. Well, I support it, and I would have answered no in that poll, too.

I'm sick of polls.

I defy the tyranny of precedent. I cannot afford the luxury of a closed mind. I go for anything new that might improve the past. ~ Clara Barton

by AuroraDawn on Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 02:08:01 PM PDT

•  Yes, i'm suspicious of these polls too (0+ / 0-)

It's notoriously hard to poll such vague opinions, and notoriously easily to push opinion where you want it to go. The media has been pushing the "Obama honeymoon over" and "Obama losing his support" narrative since January 21, and they will do anything they have to to further it. We have work to do and should not waste time buying into this crap.

Rob Portman: He sent your job to China.

by anastasia p on Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 04:43:55 PM PDT

•  It's because way too many on the left (0+ / 0-)

are openly or closeted "purity progressives." They want EVERYTHING they want, all wrapped up in a silver bow, and it has to be flawless. I understand the frustration after eight years of Bush, but honestly, when I look at what Obama has accomplished, I'm absolutely disgusted with those on the left who make statements like "I've given up on Obama." You've given up on YOURSELF. Too many of those people thought their work was done in November, and now it should be raining gold coins, kittens and moonbeams. Our work is NEVER done, one thing I think conservatives know better than us.

Rob Portman: He sent your job to China.

by anastasia p on Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 04:42:08 PM PDT

•  Where you been Jed when you're suprised at fallin (2+ / 0-)
      Four of Nine, Jyrinx

falling support for Obama among progressives and real Democrats?  You wrote:

It's no surprise that the president's approval numbers would drop among conservatives and even independents. The fact that they are also dropping among his most ardent supports should be cause for concern in the administration.

1.  I guess you missed the fact that Obama set up his administration and froze progressives (Howard Dean, Wes Clark) from any role in it.  Instead, he kept W's entire team on at Defense and brought in 4 or 5 other Republican hacks.  He even wanted Judd Gregg, a Republican to the right of Atilla the Hun, to be his Commerce Secretary.
      1.  I guess you also missed the fact that Obama has consistently ditched and broken campaign promises (FISA, NAFTA renegotiation, no lobbyists in his administration, DOMA, DADT, and a host of others) always taking a far more right-wing position than the one he advocated to get elected.  Look at Obama's horrid position on health care reform:  he immediately took single payer off the table, called a White House conference in February on health care reform and failed to invite a single advocate of single payer, and left the nation without a plan and health care reform in the hands of people like Max Baucus.

All of these things mean that Obama was pandering for votes and support and the drop in support amongst progressives and democrats from the democratic wing of the Democratic party should be no surprise at all. It will continue as long as Obama keeps shafting his progressive base.

"Tyranny & oppression are just as possible under democratic forms as under any other...democracy is a life & involves continual struggle." Robert LaFoll

by fflambeau on Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 09:06:21 PM PDT

•  I agree with (0+ / 0-)

most of what you posted, but Wes Clark is a true PROGRESSIVE?.. really??

•  For a military man, yes, Four of Nine (0+ / 0-)

I'd say that for someone who came out of West Point (top of his class too) and got 4 stars, he's about as far to the left as possible.

by fflambeau on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 08:48:19 PM PDT

• Law (19)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site