View Diary: Are The Dour Democratic Projections About 2010 Justified? (334 comments)

•  Extrpolating from polling (2+ / 0-)
    esquimaux, SuetheRedWA

is, indeed silly this far out. Reading your own history, however is revealing. Democrats have a broad alliance but a couple of groups are central. We win with the full and enthusiastic participation of labor, minorities, liberals and single women. Clinton torpedoed labor with NAFTA, kept the minorities, liberals and women and lost in the mid terms. We're doing it again. This time Obama is losing both labor and white liberals at one fell swoop by caving on health care so the loss could well be worse.

"If I pay a man enough money to buy my car, he'll buy my car." Henry Ford

by johnmorris on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 10:17:38 AM PDT

•  He has not given up on the po (2+ / 0-)
      Matt Z, Yumn

My goodness when we'll figure this out.

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives. John Stuart Mill

by Micheline on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 10:31:59 AM PDT

•  No (1+ / 0-)
        SuetheRedWA

But he's seen to be vacillating on it and the sharks are circling.

"If I pay a man enough money to buy my car, he'll buy my car." Henry Ford

by johnmorris on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 10:52:21 AM PDT

•  What sharks? (0+ / 0-)

by Micheline on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 11:33:46 AM PDT

•  These (0+ / 0-)

And there's more. These are just the paid public faces of the insurance industry. The sharks who show up at town halls packing are their creatures. I'll bet you've seen Barney Franks retort a dozen times but have you heard the question she asked? have you seen the picture she held up? For most people the answer is "no" and it is gradually making Barney look mean. The full right wing assault is on and its purpose is to maintain the profit margins for their insurance companies.

"If I pay a man enough money to buy my car, he'll buy my car." Henry Ford

by johnmorris on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 12:22:46 PM PDT

•  I knew that they were going to portray Frank as a (1+ / 0-)
              Matt Z

meanie. What is going on right now with the Dems and Obama is that the media and GOP are playing heads you lose and tails you lose game. If the Dems remain calm or even respectful with the teabaggers, they are seen as weak. If they show any disdain  toward  teabaggers spewing out idiocies then they are portrayed as mean. The corporate owners want the GOP return to power because they are threaten by what they see. Have you ever noticed that whenever Democrats  are about to win  both the executive and legislative branches, the media starts talking about divided government. They never did that when the Republicans controlled both branches. My point is that we must not get played by the media as we have been for the past few weeks.

by Micheline on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 12:32:33 PM PDT

•  They've been playing this game forever (1+ / 0-)
                Matt Z

Kudos to you for pointing it out (and I mean that sincerely).  I wish to God more consultants would admit to their clients that there's no point attempting to look good in the media in response to that kind of Republican attack--you just have to grab the initiative from them and set the terms of the debate yourself.  If they set the terms, you lose (although that's a bit less true now that the entire MSM isn't kissing Repubs' butts).

"This is our time. We must be relentless. Even if (or when) Obama seems like he doesn't have our back...we know what we believe in." philipmerrill

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Sun Aug 23, 2009 at 12:42:41 PM PDT