View Diary: MA-Sen: Kennedy II Declines Senate Bid (120 comments)

•  What do you think would be the solution to the (1+ / 0-)
    masslib

huge power gap that women suffer from in the party?

Hillary Clinton's Liberal Ranking http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/8/10/122232/619

by tigercourse on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 02:59:53 PM PDT

•  Progress (0+ / 0-)

I hate telling any minority to be patient, but sometimes that's the right answer.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there always is a difference.

by blue aardvark on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 03:02:00 PM PDT

•  I think that's pretty terrible advice. If blacks (1+ / 0-)
        masslib

had just sat around waiting for progress they'd probablly still be going to different schools in the South.

There are something like 100 countries with more women in the legislature then the US. That's pathetic.

by tigercourse on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 03:07:52 PM PDT

•  And how long after the Civil War (1+ / 0-)
          Massconfusion

was Rosa Parks? 90 years, more or less.

If can you identify a law which is holding women down, let's get rid of it.

by blue aardvark on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 03:26:05 PM PDT

•  I hate when people use that argument (2+ / 0-)
          epcraig, Massconfusion

It sounds so absurd. (I'm referring to the first thing).

As to your second point, as others have said above, you have failed to show us why there is a compelling reason to elect any and all women just to get more women in the legislature. If there is a female candidate whose positions we don't support in the least, I won't vote for her just because there aren't enough women. Sorry, but that makes sense to me.

Yes, we should have more women. This is not a strong enough reason to pick a woman over any male candidate.

Starboard Broadside: Firing all guns at the Right since September 2008!

by Cpt Robespierre on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 05:42:47 PM PDT

•  Power Gap in the party? Nancy Pelosi, and (0+ / 0-)

Secretary Clinton?????  What about the power gap for the Hispanic Americans in the party, or the Asian Americans in the party????

With Friends like the Left who needs the Repubs????

by fromdabak on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 03:11:37 PM PDT

•  Do you know how many women chair committees (2+ / 0-)
        epcraig, masslib

in the House and Senate. The number is below 20% for both. Do you know how many women are in the cabinet? 4 out of 15 spots. Do you know how many Democratic women are Governors? 3.

And women make up 52% of the population. There are far fewer Hispanics or Asians (there are however 3 Asians in the Cabinet).

by tigercourse on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 03:20:59 PM PDT

•  I don't particularly care to see a person granted (4+ / 0-)

power simply because she is a woman - I care only about what he/she will do with that power. Many female politicians bring nothing to the debate that empowers anyone other then themselves - try examining the records of Diane Feinstein or Kay Bailey Hutchison or Blanche Lincoln or Mary Landrieu and so on . . .

•  Uhuh, and what about their male counterparts? (0+ / 0-)

Same is true of many of them.  I didn't say I support any woman anytime.  i said we need more women in the Senate and she's a great one.  She's taken up some very important causes as Attorney General, she's smart, knowledgeable, and well liked by her peers.

Medicare for All is Civil Rights

by masslib on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 03:52:13 PM PDT

•  There's nothing "great" about her - her record as (1+ / 0-)
          PD41

AG is not particularly impressive . . And there have been several posters on this site who seem to be supporting her simply because she is a woman rather than a person who will advance a progressive agenda.

•  It's pretty impressive. Most baystaters (0+ / 0-)

think she's been an excellent AG.  Do you live int he state?

Medicare for All is Civil Rights

by masslib on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 05:06:19 PM PDT

•  Well I do (1+ / 0-)
              Massconfusion

Dunno about the commenter you asked...

And I have no idea what's she done as AG. I consider myself fairly well-informed about politics (though less so for my own state, I will admit), but I didn't even remember she was the AG til she announced. I can hardly call that impressive.

Starboard Broadside: Firing all guns at the Right since September 2008!

by Cpt Robespierre on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 05:45:50 PM PDT

•  She was only elected in 2006. (0+ / 0-)

I'm surprised you would say that.  She's extremely popular.  I do not remember an AG candidate ever running ads in support of a gubernatorial candidate to help him win election.  She's pretty well known.

Medicare for All is Civil Rights

by masslib on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 06:44:00 PM PDT

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

Oh. I wasn't paying attention to any MA races in 2006, except the Governor's race, which was called so fast I didn't have to watch long. Wasn't able to vote then, so I was watching the Congressional races.

I know vaguely who she is, but I can't think of any high-profile cases I've heard except maybe something to do with DOMA. I just don't pay much attention to the Attorney General. I know who the last one was because he ran against Patrick in the 2006 primary.

Starboard Broadside: Firing all guns at the Right since September 2008!

by Cpt Robespierre on Mon Sep 07, 2009 at 07:52:44 PM PDT

•  Here’s Boston Globe columnist Joan Vennoch (0+ / 0-)

(who some would say (ab)used her spot in the Globe to aggressively promote Hillary Clinton’s presidential candidacy and, IMO, tends to be gender biased in her advocacy) has to say about Coakley’s record as Mass AG:

Indeed, her political ambition is bolder than her track record as attorney general, where she perfected the ability to walk a delicate line.

She led the way in recouping $550 million from contractors who delivered shoddy work on the $15 billion Big Dig. But, in settling the case, Coakley dropped a manslaughter charge against the only company to face state criminal charges in connection with a fatal tunnel collapse.

She indicted the personal accountant and close friend of former House speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi. But Coakley left it to federal prosecutors to indict DiMasi.

Here’s the link to the full Vennochi column.

•  I do and she sucks! (0+ / 0-)

See my comments above...

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site