View Diary: Wanted: A Social History of Daily Kos (651 comments)

•  Good one (none)
    I'd love to hear about this too.

So I'm recommending.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 10:41:05 AM PST

•  I agree (none)
      And may this turn into a "historical document" rather than being seen as an invitation to refight old battles.
      •  Naw (none)
        Let's refight 'em. It'll be fun.  As a major participant in these wars, I can assure you I'm kidding.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 10:55:11 AM PST

•  *pops out of hiding* (4.00)
          I'll start!

Fuck Wes Clark, the limey bastard!

ducks and runs away again

"We will fight them, sir, until hell freezes over. And then, sir, we will fight them on the ice."

by Raybin on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 10:59:41 AM PST

•  6714? (none)
            Nah, you're too young.

"In my day . . . "

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 11:01:34 AM PST

•  Heh (none)
            6685, here. Nyah, nyah.

All the snark that's fit to...er...pixelate? liberal street fight

by Joan McCarter on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 11:56:40 AM PST

•  If Only We'd Known... (none)
              From Kos's hint that the five new irregulars all signed up within the first three days of Scoop -- and with Kid Oakland being the "youngest" at #2046 -- it sounds like folks were signing up at a rate (although probably not a flat rate) of 700/day.

So I'm like late day 4 or early day 5 (or as I like to say, the "third thousand").  You're in the first ten days.  Nyah!  And all this calculation is undoubtedly way off...

Anyway, I remember the time as being when one could take one last half-break from politics (meaning blogs), before the intensity of the remainder of 2004 began.  But mainly I remember being too cool for school and refusing to, ahem, register.  Register for a blog?

Hey, I could read the front page without it, it sounded kinda clannish or maybe big-headed ("C'mon, I read and comment in lots of blogs without needing to register, who is this Markos guy to demand a log-in?")... and maybe even a bit anti-Blogitutional.

Of course, I couldn't resist and broke down within a few days, and I'm glad I did.

But had I known what a status symbol user numbers would become -- realizing they existed would have been been a prerequisite -- man, I was right there.  I coulda been ancient.

•  Feline herd resistance (4.00)
                Hah.  Same story here.
              •  Post (none)
                I guess that makes me the "oldest" of the five new guest posters. Kinda funny, since I am pretty sure I am actually the youngest.
                •  Are you "older" (none)
                  than me?  (UID-wise I mean.)

I'm confident I'm the oldest in age (and musical tastes).

In a democratic society some are guilty, but all are responsible. -Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

by a gilas girl on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 03:44:01 PM PST

•  He's 73, You're 170 (none)
                    So he is of The First Hundred, you are of The Second Hundred.

I think that means you get a robe, but not a scepter.

•  I misread the number (none)
                      thought it was 243 on David.  See how often I look at them, I can't even find the right one to read!

I'm always surprised that my number is so low because I purposely held off registering for a couple of days, unsure if I wanted to continue at dKos as the primary crap got more intense and more juvenile. I think I decided I wanted to hold on to "a gilas girl" as my handle and since those were the days of trolls hijacking other people's handles (Marie and Marisacat and any number of other people had someone posting as them that way.)  Markos has been amazingly good at stopping trolls with their most destructive kinds of practices as quickly as possible, hasn't he?  Really.

by a gilas girl on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 04:24:16 PM PST

•  Sceptre (none)
                      Heheh! Where's my sceptre then?

DavidNYC: 73
                      A Gilas Girl: 170
                      Hunter: 1054
                      Armando: 1638
                      Kid Oakland: 2046

You latter three were slowpokes!

•  number of digits (none)
                    nine with a single digit uid
                    ninety with a two digit uid and nine hundred with a three digit one, and that, less than 3% of the current membership, are the old farts.  The next ranking are the young turks, now in ascendancy; the four digit folks, with low four folk now the majority of Guest Bloggers.  The five digit newbies are also showing themselves to be a formidable presence with plenty of talent and wisdom to be seen.  Daily Kos grows richer as a community.

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 07:46:12 PM PST

•  Yeah, yeah, rub it in (none)
              I'll get MORE sappy 70's songs stuck in your head!

by Raybin on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 02:37:08 PM PST

•  Joe Trippi is a Jedi (none)
          Who wants to battle?
          •  He was for a while (none)
            wasn't he?  Didn't know political strategy, but has some great ideas.

Feel bad that he is sort of making a fool of himself on MSGOP now.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 11:13:08 AM PST

•  Bad luck (none)
              I still think that if Dean had given a short, sober, optimistic concession speech with no scream, he would have had a serious shot at taking New Hampshire and he would've had a serious advantage in the states after that with his 50 state organization. Trippi's story would've gone down as a brilliant strategist who overcame an initial stumble.
          •  hey man (none)
            that guy thinks my little brother is the shit.  i have a hard time knockin him.  said to my uncle that  of all the smart kids he has met, my bro was gonna be the one that really changes things. so SYFP if you dont have anything nice to say about him. (i am sooo kidding)
            •  hey, how'd Thanksgiving go with (none)
              Uncle Jay? never heard back ;-)

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 12:10:48 PM PST

•  oh yeah (none)
                sorry i didnt report back.  thanksgiving was great, jay and the kids had a blast.

i got to ask him a couple of the questions.  as for why KO is all alone he answered that the primary reason is that he actually reads blogs.  very few other mainstream broadcasters take the time personally read through the infomation out there.  he continued, saying that even the people that run the major broadcasters newssites dont even bother to read anything online.  they see the Internet as a way for them to get their information out, rather than as a source for new material.

i didnt get a chance to get him to answer the question about different J schools.

he was very interested in the Stewart Crossfire incident.  first, he was struck by the fact that for the first time in history more people watched a show online than did live.  he does not see Stewart as a journalist, but was very impressed by his ability to completely embarass the hosts.  he seemed to side with Stewart that the shouting and screaming that goes on that show was detrimental to the country.  then he went off on a tangent about some email war he had with Begala.

he was pleased to have you as a fan.  i recommend trying to email him and ask him his perspective on things.  he usually is willing to engage with people he does not know.  dont take it badly if he doesnt write back everytime, hell i am lucky if he responds to 1 of 3 emails from me.

•  heh (none)
                  i can read PressThink and get a pretty good idea of what he thinks. Thanks for the summary... the cable people blog, the network people ossify... same old same old.

When brian williams' audience averages 85 (you can tell from the phgarma ads during ther news), mebbe he'll get it...

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 12:32:36 PM PST

•  yeah (none)
                    except, that he did make the point that while many of the cable people blog they see the Internet as a forum for them and rarely consume information.  for example they typically blog with no comments, it is rarely a two way interaction.
        •  THe most important event (4.00)
          in Kos history, was when Armando and I agreed on something.

Can't remember what it was.  Probably on a mutual distaste for squid ink or something.

But Armando, remember, I used to regularly kick your butt before you became important.  ;-)

GO EDWARDS!!!

•  A "Historical Document" like... (none)
        ...."Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside U.S."?

;-)

Start doing the things you think should be done, and start being what you think society should become. -Adam Michnik.

by GreenSooner on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 04:10:29 PM PST

•  A Partial Answer (4.00)
      As Armando knows--and for which he's partially responsible--I posted a diary in which I covered some of what I thought were significant developments at DKos, and how it changed and was changed by the demographics, interests and expectations of the site's readers and participants.
    •  Is this site a blog? (4.00)
      6) Finally -- is it fair to really call this site a "blog" anymore?  I consider a blog to be a person's personal op-ed column.  This site seems to me to be so much more.  What word could we use instead of "blog " to describe it?

I've been reading DKos for over a year didn't join until last summer. When I found political blogs, ( I did a search for Valerie Flame and hit Pandagon 10/2003 ) I was reading random blogs I found on the blogrolls.

I eventually found a group of blogs I liked and read them regularly. Dkos was one of many. I didn't realize that some were a bigger deal than others. My choices were based on the content and "Voice" of the blogger.

DKos for me is still a blog and the main reason I read it is Kos himself. I like the way he writes and the things he writes about.

For almost a year I only looked at the main page and some of the comments, essentially reading only Kos. I confess I hadn't even noticed the Diaries. I had come to realize that DKos was one of the major players in the blog world, mostly by noticing the number of comments on the posts.

In July 2004, I did quite a bit of research on the Swiftboat Morons as a response to a family website political arguement. This was before they hit the bigtime. As I was searching the internet for information on the above, I found little information on the pro Kerry side...

Anyway long story short, I thought where can I put this where the most people might see it and hopefully use it and decided a Dkos Open Thread was a good bet. That's when I found out I needed to register to post.

I put up alot of information on the open thread and learned alot about DKos in the next few days.
      Most people had kind things to say in their comments about my info. One guy was sure I was a troll and several were mad because my comment was too long.

End result..  Someone, not sure who now, put the research into a Diary. I think he realized I didn't have a clue, he was very nice and gave me credit for the reasearch. I eventually found sections of my reasearch in other blogs and even in a Salon article.

This is a powerful medium and in my experience a great way to hear new ideas and news I wouldn't find elsewhere.