View Diary: Wanted: A Social History of Daily Kos (651 comments)

•  Should probably not comment (none)
    but I'm inferring from your comment that the lack of Sharpton love may be racist in nature?

It's always possible, but there are legitimate reasons to not like the man. And for me, although his outsider status conferred on him the freedom to be both outspoken and straightspoken during the debates (and I did appreciate him for that, and for his speech at the DNC), he's not someone I trust either as a politician or a religious leader. I'm a  New Yorker though (and for all I know, you are too) and have had more exposure to him over the decades than some, perhaps.

Smart man, no question. Gifted orator, oh yes. But...

•  but what? (none)
      i'm a new yorker too and i maintain that a lot of the problems people have w/ sharpton have to do with his blackness. if you can't forgive him for tawana, fine, i can accept that, but if it's issues beyond that, i'd be interested in hearing them.

p.s. he was a guest host on air america the other day and i found him to be super sharp, funny and naturally gifted at framing dem policy in a way that is easy for the masses to understand and connect with.

"Some were afraid, some just wanted a bit o' his power, 'cause he was gettin' himself power all right. Dark days Harry." --The Sorcerer's Stone

by JaneKnowles on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 07:13:22 PM PST

•  I Love Sharpton (none)
        But he's made mistakes too.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 07:25:21 PM PST

•  the perm doesn't count (none)
          and i was debating myself today on whether or not tawana trumps lying about your military service and your drug use history. unfortunately, i wanted to give it to al but i couldn't. but still, what else?

by JaneKnowles on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 07:52:13 PM PST

•  Over Bush? (none)
            Heh.  Al has had some antics in his past.  But he's been good for the past oh 6, 7 years?

He contirbutes no question.  But he's not a serious candidate for major office - his image is too unshakeable.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 08:01:24 PM PST

•  yes, over bush (none)
              and i guess that's my point. his trangressions are far less forgiveable because he's not only black, but fairly flamboyent. he's black and he's proud! so while americans will forgive bush for being a drunken f-up and awol, they won't forgive sharpton for defending tawana to the death.

by JaneKnowles on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 08:14:43 PM PST

•  Racism in America (none)
                you'll love my post next week.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 08:44:04 PM PST

•  as long as you include (none)
                  an etymology of maroon vs. Maroons then we're golden!

by JaneKnowles on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 09:05:54 PM PST

•  What a piece of work (none)
                    I sometime think those types are just right wing put ons, but who knows.

BTW, I'm West Indian too - Cuban living in Puerto Rico.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'

by Armando on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 09:08:38 PM PST

•  last year (none)
                      i had a to-the-matt argument with my cuban neighbor's ex-marine brother. i had innocently gone up to the neighborhood spanish restaurant w/ my son to get some take-out roasted chicken and he was in there. he INSISTED that we join him. i started knocking down everything about bush and the iraq war and he kept yelling (in a loud, but friendly drunken manner mind you), "it doesn't mattah!!" every perfect argument i made, he'd shout back, "it doesn't mattah!" and then in between shouting me down, he'd give loud throwing instructions to my baseball-playing son, "over the top, isaiah!" "just remember, over the top!!"

hmph! you cubans! you're all alike!

by JaneKnowles on Sun Dec 05, 2004 at 09:31:58 PM PST

•  I can't remember where I saw it... (none)
      but there was some speculation/evidence that Sharpton was being funded by repubs to disrupt the primaries... wish I still had the link but I can't find it.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

by JLongs on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 04:54:30 AM PST