View Diary: Teen pregnancy in the Red States (325 comments)

•  I don't think so. (none)
    There is a misconception that the red states don't teach birth control. Well, I found out firsthand that they do. I live in Alabama (worst education system in the U.S.) and I have often had to attend classes with my 12 year old that suffers from an anxiety disorder (only way to keep him in class sometimes).

Last month, I got to go through abstinance training. It wasn't that bad of a program. While the primary emphasis is on abstinance; they did discuss condems ect.

However, when I tried to put my freshly gathered knowledge into use at home, my wife told me to get over it. I could sleep anytime. Perhaps I shouldn't have married a younger woman.

•  Where in Ala, May I Ask? (none)

Big difference between Mtn. Brook school system and, say, Greene Co. school system.  Which, of course, is part of the problem:  the continuation of segregation and Banana Republicanism via de facto segregation via in Alabama (and Mississippi and North Florida, etc.) school systems.

BenGoshi
      _________________

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." T.J.

by BenGoshi on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 12:19:17 PM PST

•  Brownsboro (none)
        Little town outside of Huntsville in Madison County; you are quite correct in pointing out the disparity in the parts of the state.

Northern Alabama tends to be more progressive but not always; it was our very own Sen. Tom Butler who introduced legislation to make the sale of anything intended to stimulate the genitals illegal.

What I found to be really funny was that kids were allowed to attend a sex ed class (with parental permission slip); but the school didn't have Halloween bulletin boards. Halloween is the latest holliday to fall victem to the far right. It has re-emerged as the politically correct fall festival. Which is not associated with ghosts, witches, ect.

•  Unintended consequences (none)

You wrote:

" . . . it was our very own Sen. Tom Butler who introduced legislation to make the sale of anything intended to stimulate the genitals illegal."

So... that would mean banning photos of Hitler and Rumsfeld from all future meetings of John Giles' little coven of nuts, eh?

I'm in Bhm.  My office is in Artur's district, and my house, 5 min away, is in Spencer's.  I'm like the guy with his feet in the oven and his head in the freezer saying, "On average, I feel just fine."

I've had the honor of meeting Callahan.  I like him.  He's typical, though - his heart's in the right place, but he's concerned about being as outspoken as, say, someone from a "safe" Democratic district in Mass.  He is NOT a Mad Zell Democrat at all, and for that the state, and your district in particular, can be thankful.

BenGoshi
          ______________

by BenGoshi on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 12:54:24 PM PST

•  I've met most of the north Alabama delegation. (none)
            At least those that have held office for sometime. But I don't know many of them well. Some of them are quite colorful. For example, my father who served in the Alabama House for 12 years. He lost his last election back in the eighties because he punched another legislator out on the house floor. Not the most even temper in the world; but he obviously was willing to fight for his beliefs.
            •  I can almost recollect that . . . (none)

. . . it'll come to me eventually, who your dad is.  Fighting for one's beliefs - what a concept.

BenGoshi
              ________________

by BenGoshi on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 01:28:19 PM PST

•  Birmingham Judge (none)
                At least you guys have U.W. Clemons.

Do you remember the blind legislator from Fort Payne? He taught me how to play dominoes when I was in the third grade. He had the best memory of anyone I've ever met.

•  Chief Judge Clemon is good, (none)

but not perfect.  What he doesn't abide is BS, from either side.  It's great to be in front of him (I've been on both sides, P and D, in front of him) and the other side's going down some road o' sophistry and he just cuts them off and says, "Listen, counselor, is it A or B?" and the lawyer will start getting all long-winded again, and he'll just cut him off again and say something like,"You apparently didn't hear my question:  is it A or B?"  And if the lawyer tries being "cute" again, then the Judge will get angry, and you don't want him angry.  He's made me want to crawl into a hole a couple of times - in front of a jury (ouch!), but I still won.

He'll rule from the bench -wham!, but take 6-9 months after that to actually Enter the Order.  That part's maddening.

By the way, keep this a secret, folks.

BenGoshi
                  _______________

by BenGoshi on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 02:36:55 PM PST

•  The Blind Legislator... (none)

. . . No, don't recall him.  Wasn't George Corley's brother blind?

BenGoshi
                  ________________

by BenGoshi on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 02:43:30 PM PST

•  Maybe (none)
      abstinence training only works if both parties learn to "just say no"!

Thanks for the clarification.  It think the lack of sex ed in red America is a common misconception among many of us.

My mind is my own church. - Thomas Paine

by Tuco1 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 12:25:38 PM PST

•  Wait a minute (none)
      Abstinence training is not birth control, it's useless bullshit.  You said yourself they didn't discuss condoms, so where is the control?

That abstinence training is really offensive.  Not in of itslef, but in that it insists on leaving out other parts that equally valid.

I may be missing something here.  I often miss irony and satire in text, maybe that's it.

•  Actually... (none)
        He said the EMPHASIS was on abstinence, but the DID discuss condoms, etc. It IS okay to tell children that they probably shouldn't be copulating without considering the consequences. As a parent, that's my job, too. But they did go over the alternatives, in case you just can't help yourself. :)
        •  Abstinance training by itself doesn't work. (none)
          I doubt that it will work with the kids in the class; it sure as hell didn't deter my wife.

The point that I was trying to make is that effective birth control methods can be presented alongside abstinance training.