View Diary: ME-Init: Gay marriage all tied up, heading into November (188 comments)

•  Straight men aren't threatened. (1+ / 0-)
    progresso

They are just weird-ed out sometimes, like what a girl feels when a creepy guy hits on her.

Clings to Music and Yankee baseball

by Mro on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:01:45 AM PDT

•  Which is why women vote so overwhelmingly (6+ / 0-)
      Odysseus, jnhobbs, filby, ryan81, Mro, ElsieElsie

to deny civil rights to creepy guys.

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:03:29 AM PDT

•  Not that I know the answer (1+ / 0-)
        Mro

but is there a gender split on polling for Megan's Law/the sex offender registry?

"Bi-partisanship is a code word for 'We are gonna screw the peeps 'cause we are rakin' in the dough from our lobbyist pals'"--Tommymac, 8/4/09

by Superribbie on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:16:43 AM PDT

•  I have a few girl friends (1+ / 0-)
        lgmcp

that would vote that way if they could.  I know where you were going with the first comment though.  While the age trends are in our favor, the lack of exposure also needs to change.  There is still a section of my generation that while they are pro-gay rights, the stereotypes that they were taught are still ingrained somewhat.

Clings to Music and Yankee baseball

by Mro on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:43:20 AM PDT

•  There's just so much wrong (2+ / 0-)
          maryru, Mro

here.  It's not really you, it's the whole fucked-up "gay panic" genre of which "weirded out" is the baby sibling.   I don't even know where to start.  First of all, I don't think nearly as many gay guys, proportionally, dare to accost unwelcoming strangers as do straight guys.  Second of all, women put up with that shit all the time so welcome to our world.   Occasional unwelcome advances, if they do not rise to the level of violence or threat, are a fact of life, and do not justify violent retaliation OR legal discrimination.  Nor do they equate in any way protection of children as suggested by another commentator.  Fourthly wouldn't marriage corral some of these hypothetical advances and keep a few rakes out of circulation?  And so on ...

by lgmcp on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:57:27 AM PDT

•  I will never compare anything to what women put (0+ / 0-)

up with.  I learned that first hand when I went walking with a old girlfriend, and because I was walking on the right side of her guys driving past would slow down constantly.  It amazed and angered me to the point where I was yelling at the guy when they did it.

But on the other side.  Personally, the first couple times I got hit on by gay guys it weird-ed me out.  Its the same reaction I get when a creepy girl hits on me.  Its more of a mental "That ain't happening", and in my talks with girl friends they get the same reaction when creep guys hit on them.  It seems to me that the "gay panic" type that you referred to is more the 45+ age group.

Clings to Music and Yankee baseball

by Mro on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 11:12:27 AM PDT

•  It's the man on man thing that gets them (6+ / 0-)

If it was solely about lesbians, there'd be a law requiring one couple on every block, and they'd have to sunbathe topless in their back yard 3 days a week. (At least judging from the Penthouse Forum letters I've seen.)

(yes, this is mostly snark...)

Civility is the way of telling someone to go fuck themselves in such a way that the someone agrees it probably is a good idea.

by Cali Scribe on Fri Sep 18, 2009 at 10:12:31 AM PDT

•  Then the arrests for domestic abuse would rise (0+ / 0-)

as wives and girlfriends beat the crap out of their men for looking at them.

Clings to Music and Yankee baseball