View Diary: Book Review: T.R. Reid's "The Healing of America" (124 comments)

•  I say we hit them with some truth (12+ / 0-)

We need an billboard campaign with direct, simple messages that cut thru the cr*p. The numbers in health care are so large people don't relate to them. Sometimes it is way easier to be numb to the plight of 45,000 than one or two.

Here is an image I've toyed with making into a billboard. Image this on I-95 coming in to Butte,MT

Those numbers are based on 45,000 deaths annually and a CEO salary of $5,000,000. Of course the salary value would have to be adjusted.

I'm a Puntheist. If your religion doesn't make you laugh out loud at least once a week you may have picked the wrong one.

by ontheleftcoast on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 10:35:07 AM PDT

•  I've got some other that are simple and direct (9+ / 0-)

The raging madman in me wanted to add a zinger like "How does that taste?" to the end of that one but nagging guilt is probably a better motivator that straight-up shame.

Here are a few others. This one would work for folks who drive to work:

This one would be great for anyone who thinks they had a good night sleep:

Again, snark could be applied to either one. Imagine the "He'll sleep well tonight, how about you?" added to the last one.

by ontheleftcoast on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 10:46:18 AM PDT

•  While driving home from the store today (3+ / 0-)
          mcmom, ontheleftcoast, whaddaya

I saw a billboard for rent on a busy street here in San Antonio.  I would love to see your last message up on that billboard - minus Olympia Snowe's name but including "Call your Representative and Senators."

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 10:57:06 AM PDT

•  They're pretty generic messages and could (1+ / 0-)
            whaddaya

easily be tailored for maximum local effect. That was the idea. Hit people with some truth where they live and in terms they can understand. I've been told billboard advertising isn't terribly expensive but I can only come up with two or three grand out of my own pocket right now. I'd have to work with a group or likely a PAC to make it more effective. Hence my mentioning on here where somebody who knows about that stuff might be able to see it.

Was that an obvious enough hint?

by ontheleftcoast on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 11:07:35 AM PDT

•  Great idea. (1+ / 0-)
      ontheleftcoast

I'd thought about leaflets, but billboards might do the trick better. If it can be done without giving any money to Clear Channel.

I suggest the wording could use some more work. For one thing, the latte bit only antagonizes the viewer. And the numbers don't seem big enough to make the impact thay should.

Here's another thought: you know the digital number things on billboards that show prices and stuff? How about something like [at noon]:

Americans who died so far today for lack of health care access: 60

Amount the Blue Cross/Blue Shield CEO made so far today: $6840.

Ask [senator/rep] whose side s/he's on.

I don't know -- probably still too many words for a billboard, but it's too good an idea to just pass over.

Everybody talkin' 'bout Heaven ain't goin' there -- Mahalia Jackson

by DaveW on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 11:31:33 AM PDT

•  Those digital sign are freakishly expensive (0+ / 0-)

so I don't think that won't be cost effective. I think we're going to have to "dance with Devil" on this one (in orange, left-side only Pravdas!) and put some ad money in the game. Which do you find more distasteful, sending a few dollars to ClearChannel or having some more Americans die? The door swings both ways on this. They're going to fight us in the public arena with advertising, we have to fight back. Short term they get some revenue, long term we win back this country.

by ontheleftcoast on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 11:41:55 AM PDT

•  change latte to 'morning cup of Joe' (3+ / 0-)
      mcmom, bsmechanic, ontheleftcoast

because latte has that 'liberal' label.

'Morning cup of Joe' has another tie-in.

•  Or just coffee would work (1+ / 0-)
        shpilk

Here in the Seattle area 'latte' would win out over coffee. The shame is that we still need to push our Senators here to not wimp out with co-ops and triggers. And as I've tried to explain elsewhere in this thread the specifics aren't what I'm trying to promote. The idea is "can a simple message cut thru the cr*p and get people mad at the health care industry?"

I deal in stupid large/small numbers all day long. Billionths or a second or terabytes of media files are what I work with every single day. Most people don't get the scale of the problem. If you say to them 45,000 die every year they say, "Oh, that is so sad." and do nothing. Calling it fifteen 9/11's might work to shock them out of their apathy but I don't want to go there. Telling them that an American dies every time they have a cup of coffee and the CEO makes $100 bucks? Or that 40 die while they slept and he makes enough to buy a used car? That they'd understand, they'd get it, and they might get mad enough about it to do something besides watch Shill O'liely and Pawn Vanity complain about "brown people" getting help.

by ontheleftcoast on Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 12:02:13 PM PDT