View Diary: What A Surprise! “Values Voters” Pick Racist Huckabee (25 comments)

•  Huckabee actually worries me... (4+ / 0-)

You don't know how many people I know (I live in semi-conservative town) who voted for Obama because they were sick of the GOP, but think Huckabee's a great guy.  But that's not what is scary.  I know a few Democrats who think he is not that bad, and is pretty likeable.

I've even seen comments after his appearances on Jon Stewart from people who are (supposed) Democrats saying that while they disagree with him, they like him.

He's not as polarizing as Palin, and he has much more charm than Romney.  I really think he's the best chance the GOP has of taking back the white house in 2012.

Does anybody else think so?  I haven't followed him much ever since the GOP primary last year, so I don't know if I'm missing something here and my concern is unfounded.  I've read that corporations don't like him because of his tax policies, so he might not have the same monetary support as the other GOP hopefuls - but who knows...  this might actually be a good thing in 2012.  He seems like he could whip up the populist vote better than the rest of them; he is winning the values voters hands down.

Talk me down?

"If these Republicans can't stand up to Rush, how can they stand up to the Iranians?" - Redmond Barry

by xsonogall on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 07:50:32 AM PDT

•  Huckabee did himself in (3+ / 0-)
      AllanTBG, wonderful world, xsonogall

during the primaries when he stated he would like to see the Constitution more closely follow the Bible.  Pure campaign gold for any opponent he faces.  Just play the tape.

~War is Peace~Freedom is Slavery~Ignorance is Strength~ George Orwell "1984"

by Kristina40 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 07:55:28 AM PDT

•  Worried, Yes; But Not Overly Concerned (3+ / 0-)
      The Raven, wonderful world, xsonogall

In order to win the Republican nomination, Huckabee will have to move very far to the right as the only tactic to get through the primaries.

In the process, he'll be on public display in a way that's not as glib as an appearance on The Daily Show. So, yes, I worry about Huckabee but I'm not overly concerned.

Charley James The Progressive Curmudgeon

by Charley James on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 07:55:38 AM PDT

•  True (0+ / 0-)

Though I feel like he's the kind of person who can sell poison and make the buyer think it's a milkshake...  He'll be spouting wingnut rhetoric with a smile.

by xsonogall on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 06:27:11 PM PDT

•  There's plenty during his governorship (3+ / 0-)
      dinazina, esquimaux, xsonogall

to create the (quite true) perception that he is corrupt. He solicited 'gifts' from companies and people doing business with the state. He took things from the governor's mansion when he left. There's plenty of evidence that the payments for 'renovations' to the mansion while he lived there were done by people to whom he owed favors. His wife's unsuccessful run for Secretary of State pissed off a lot of people because the Huckabees acted like it was an insult that she had to run at all. He also emptied the state's 'emergency fund' of $500,000 to wipe state computers' hard drives before he left.

Add to that his public statement that the Constitution should be rewritten along Biblical principles, his friendships with people like Hagee and Robertson, his belief in Biblical inerrancy and that the world is only 6000 yrs old....plus a family life that makes the Palins look like the Donna Reed Show.

The ads write themselves.

"No, it's all right," said the prospective diner. "The slugs have formed a defensive ring." -- Moving Pictures. Terry Pratchett.

by wonderful world on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 07:59:29 AM PDT

•  Not clear what I meant (1+ / 0-)
        xsonogall

I meant that the renovations to the Gov's mansion were done by people to whom the Huckster owed favors...not that the payments were from those people.

Sorry...I get mad and my writing goes to hell.

by wonderful world on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 08:01:13 AM PDT

•  Can't talk you down.... (1+ / 0-)
      xsonogall

I saw and commented on the same thing during the Iowa caucuses.  It was - and is - scary.  He is trained to exhort and convince.  That's what preachers do.  The "Aw shucks!" facade makes him seem normal, likable. Yup, dangerous....

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 11:08:34 AM PDT

•  Thanks. (0+ / 0-)

Final reply to my comment puts me back where I started.  lol

by xsonogall on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 06:28:05 PM PDT