View Diary: The Chairman of a local Republican Party is a big fat liar. (72 comments)

•  Damn, you need some rest. (0+ / 0-)

Tomorrow go to the FactCheck.org link and eat more catchup.

We shall overcome, someday. Yes we can.

by Sam Wise Gingy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 10:17:52 PM PDT

•  Sam, it's simple (2+ / 0-)
      Sam Wise Gingy, standupguy

no name.
      no rec

The guy bet you that the story was true.
      He couldn't name the source.
      You provided the source that was out there.
      He said... ok
      The guy could have checked snopes himself.
      He could have checked this in a minute or less.

He pulled a classic Joe The Dumber ... I ain't saying it's true... I'm just saying it's a legitimate question.

Well, it isn't.

Obama doesn't have to prove shit.
      I'm an American I don't have to prove shit.

The name of the game is Kicking Asses and Taking Names.
      We have unfinished business.

•  I got it. (1+ / 0-)
        Caj

There's more to life than recs.

Maybe I will go to the press, but I doubt they will take the story, but that is a possibility.

I would trade a local news story on this for my identity.

We'll see.

We shall overcome, someday. Yes we can.

by Sam Wise Gingy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 10:26:52 PM PDT

•  Local press won't help you (0+ / 0-)

the guy is probably driving ad revenue their way. Especially during the election cycle.

You really think this is enough to hang a story on?  What's the headline? "Republican skeptical about Obama, witholding judgment, waiting on evidence."  Sounds like a reasonable guy.

It's not a big story that some Republican questions Obama's citizenship.  Bachmann and others have been doing it for months.

•  "help you" do what? (0+ / 0-)

What help does this dude need?  Help getting his 10 dollars back?  It's ten dollars.

I guess we're looking at this in different ways.  In my mind, Samwise has already won.  By not getting his money back, his victory is even more palpable; the dude has to live with the knowledge that he's a welch.

•  The story of the bet is only big to you (0+ / 0-)

because your ego is involved.

The real story is the fake AP story, and, unfortunately, it one of the thousands of lies that are being spread by the nutters (like the birthers), and you have not written a current compelling angle large enough for a print paper, local or otherwise, to chase.  Your biggest potential outlet for the story was here, and by failing to provide real names and places, this is just another story that will disappear into the night.  And that's the choice you made by refusing to take the risk and tell it all.

You seem to be unable to untangle your very minor "bet" story from the real story.  Your bet story is only the vehicle by which a writer gets to the fake AP story.  From a writer's point of view, you haven't sold it well.  Anonymous bet stories where both parties are anonymous cannot be substantiated.  The fake AP story stands alone, your story doesn't.

"Out of Many, One." This is the great promise of our nation -9.75 -6.87

by Uncle Moji on Tue Sep 22, 2009 at 06:19:50 AM PDT

•  Hmph (0+ / 0-)

Apparently the diary is substantial enough that you feel compelled to post many comments deconstructing it.

But I don't buy this.  I don't think people are pestering the diarist for not writing a good enough story; they are pestering the diarist because they want this dude's name and contact information, a demand I find a bit disconcerting.

•  asdf (0+ / 0-)

no name.
        no rec

That's okay, I recced for you.

•  It's not FactCheck.org that has the problem (0+ / 0-)

with credibility.  It's you.  Pointing to FactCheck still doesn't solve the problem of your credibility about your claim that some anonymous Republican Chair of some unnamed county of some unnamed state dodged a bet isn't proved by pointing to FactCheck.

After some sleep, your diary still sucks.  Sorry, dude.

"Out of Many, One." This is the great promise of our nation -9.75 -6.87

by Uncle Moji on Tue Sep 22, 2009 at 06:22:59 AM PDT

•  Oh for feck's sake. (1+ / 0-)
        Sam Wise Gingy

People diarize personal stories all the time, and they don't have to provide receipts or names to verify that they really honestly had an argument with a dude.

Without the details the diary is still very valuable.  I never heard of this particular urban legend, and now that I know the source I will be ready to respond the moment I hear about it.

Finally, it is really low class to egg someone into breaking pseudonymity.  There's a rule against exposing another Kossack's identity; this sort of peer pressure isn't a violation of that rule, but it shows disrespect of someone's desire to have privacy and to extend privacy.

•  Curious, I am not trying to goad anyone into (0+ / 0-)

breaking pseudonymity.  But if you make a claim, you ought to be able to stand by it, or don't make the claim.  It's a personal claim about an a two person-only interaction with someone he won't name.

So this is an anonymous story about two anonymous guys, so what's the story in that? Other than the legitimate story that a false AP new article is being circulated by the right wing.  That's a diary worth writing, as you seem to have conveniently missed that I have repeatedly said.  This diary is egotism.

Finally, if you think responsible reporting is "low class" then you clearly buy the silly diaries that float through this place that are backed up by nothing other than "cuz I say so" or "I heard it on Politico that Rahm said so".  Maybe that works for some, but not for me, I consider that irresponsible writing, and below the standards I expect here.

You are welcomed to look at my history of comments, I have never demanded anyone reveal their identity, it's not my style.  I don't really care, unless the diarist makes his identity or the other party's identity central to proof of a story which he bizarrely believes a newspaper is going to write  - about him and a bet with a county chair.  The diarist set himself up for the comments he received.  But you are welcomed to get your hackles up as much as you wish about mine.

Good day.

"Out of Many, One." This is the great promise of our nation -9.75 -6.87

by Uncle Moji on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 05:04:14 PM PDT

•  well (0+ / 0-)

I've read lots of dairies especially about health care that are entirely undocumented.

I would gladly name the Republican involved if I could do so without revealing my own identity.

That being the case this diary remains a matter of hearsay, as are many if not most of the diaries of a biographical nature on this site.

One the themes that I was trying to communicate was that it is difficult if not impossible to have a reasonable dialog with wing nuts. I offered my dialog an example.

I realize that I can't prove it happened without naming the parties involved. Such is life.

We shall overcome, someday. Yes we can.

by Sam Wise Gingy on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 11:01:22 PM PDT

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (28)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Iraq (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Congress (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site