View Diary: And off we go into the wild UN Yonder (I/P) (347 comments)

•  Heaven forbid, (5+ / 0-)

Jewish people opposing a UNESCO head that favors a cultural boycott of the Jewish state.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. - Mr. Carlson

by Karmafish on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 09:01:27 AM PDT

•  Yeah what the (5+ / 0-)

hell would we be thinking about?

I mean the guy is hit by Reporters without borders, the NY Times, WaPo.... wait it is all the "Jew Media" - oh that doesn't count.

Amazing to me additionally how people get blasted here for racism but, only some are stepping up to condemn this obvious racism - kudos to zannie and sortalikenathan for at least being understanding even if they don't necessarily agree.

Oh and forget about calling the new head of UNESCO "some chick" (paraphrased) - I gotta try that some time and not worrying about getting blasted. This could be liberating.

How do we end Practice? We end practice with a Team Fight! ---- My five year old at the end of his soccer practice.

by volleyboy1 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 09:25:33 AM PDT

•  You have to realize that (4+ / 0-)

on Daily Kos the acceptable standard for charging racism is exceedingly low.  Hell, dude, they fling around charges of racism around here like its confetti.

At the same time, the acceptable standard for charging anti-Semitism is quite high.  Eiron charges that the "Jewish media" has undertaken a nefarious campaign to undermine the nomination of an Arab UNESCO head.  He implies that there is racism behind it.  The truth, of course, is that virtually all Jewish people who oppose anyone as head of UNESCO who supports the cultural boycott.

Welcome to the double standard, VB.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. - Mr. Carlson

by Karmafish on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 09:39:58 AM PDT

•  Yeah I thought the comment (3+ / 0-)

of "Heaven forbid there should be an Arab Head of UNESCO" implied that we were being racist. When called on it he fixed spelling and grammer.

But, no one said "boo".

I will tell you - I am done with my little Fryday experiment. I thought it would be good to get people together so we could understand each other. Screw that. We can all be social but, if that understanding doesn't lead to us trying to work together to cut out racism, anti-semitism and so forth who gives a fuck if we can tell each ohter jokes. Why the hell do I want to joke around with some fuckwit who thinks Jews control the world?

Just a freaking joke - more than that I am an idiot for trying to get people together to try to understand. What a stupid ass enterprise. And now it is done.

by volleyboy1 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 09:50:04 AM PDT

•  Well, I'm sorry to hear that, (3+ / 0-)

mainly because I know that your efforts to cross the divide were important to you.

You might give this further thought, tho, Volley.  I mean, your voice is valuable around here and we do need people who can cross certain boundaries in the way that I cannot.  My only reservation is, do we want to find common ground with those who oppose the existence of Israel as a Jewish state?

I certainly do not and that was always my primary reservation.

I'm sorry that you had to go through this, tho.

I mean, really, if they cannot get on with someone like yourself, how can they possibly ever expect to see eye-to-eye with most Jewish people?

The Professor likes to talk about how the movement for Palestinian justice needs American Jews to help out.  And I'm sure that's true.  But why in the world would most American Jews seek to find a ground of understanding among those who loathe Israel or who think it should not even exist as a Jewish state?

It makes no sense to me.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. - Mr. Carlson

by Karmafish on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 09:57:05 AM PDT

•  Well thank you for (4+ / 0-)

the kind words, and given our recent history I appreciate that.

I really wanted to work towards that goal. I asked Celtic Merlin to take over that but, I can't in good conscience keep that going. How do I joke around with people that I think hate me because I am Jewish or see Jewish conspiracies in trying to run the media and the world. Seeing the indifference to Eiron's anti-semitic and sexist comments is incredible. Even from people on our side with exceptions refusing to blast that.

We all want so badly to get along that we let the worst of us set the agenda. Because of zannie's and sortalikenathan's comments they have that respect. I did think I might see Bork when I went to Sweden next year. How can I do that now in good faith when he UPRATES that comment? Why do I want to even talk to people that won't have the courage to step up.

What is worse they have no courage in a freakin' blog. This is not like confronting someone who is in your face this is just on a blog. How fucking pathetic.

by volleyboy1 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 10:07:50 AM PDT

•  Please don't give up (2+ / 0-)
            thebluecrayon, volleyboy1

I would give you a major share of the credit for the improvement in the atmosphere that has appeared in many I/P diaries. People are talking to each other like fellow human beings, and that's progress. I'm not sure your realize how far things have come, but topics like volleyball and rugby have been what ping pong was for the US and China.

Democrats: Members of the Democratic Party working to advance democracy; Republicons: Members of the Republicanist Party working to advance Republicanism

by word is bond on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 01:17:31 PM PDT

•  LOL word - thank you (2+ / 0-)
              thebluecrayon, canadian gal

I just need to take a break. I am asking Celtic Merlin to run the Frydays. I just can't do it right now. And look at the conversation between DL and unspeakable above.... that should not happen. If someone is offended we need to try to work through that and make sure that they are not being offended.

I know for me next time I see certain posters who I know have seen this diary and not said a peep I will blast them. AND if they complain about racism or prejudice I will call them fucking hypocrites. Why because they allowed Eiron to say what he said without so much as making a comment about it. I don't care about the HR thing - I think a firm rebuke from so called progressives or human rights activists would be in order. I can see who was here and uprated comments so I know that they read the diary and comments.

Right now I am just so pissed I am seeing "red". I cannot believe just how fucked up part of the population is here. Really on both sides. Instead of making peace, people double down on stupidity. Shit, with the level of tolerance for assholishness in I.P. we should be FreefuckinRepublic because that is about how good we are.

by volleyboy1 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 at 05:45:10 PM PDT

•  Oh man, vb. (3+ / 0-)
                Karmafish, volleyboy1, canadian gal

All I can say is I'm sorry.  This topic gets to almost all of us, I mean really gets to us, at least once in awhile.  I don't know if that will make you feel any better though, commiseration, empathy and "been there."  What can that really do in the face of what looks like indifference to bigotry?  The fact that you got so pissed is actually a good thing, it means you're a really decent human being.  It's a normal decent human thing to get angry in the face of bigotry, even if it is just bigotry in language and not in action.  I think sometimes we all get a bit desensitized to that here because there is so damn much of it.  I don't know who was here at first, just saw this in hiddens, (have to add that as a disclaimer just in case someone who shouldn't takes it as an accusation).

From the diaries of yours that I have read recently, you've been doing your utmost to better things.  You actually did make some visible improvements.  That is no small accomplishment.

Time off will give some distance, perspective and most important will be taking care of your own self.